[News] Pet cat shot by police in bizarre ordeal

Old February 27th 05, 06:07 AM
teri

It isn't weird at all. Tumors stimulate the parts of the brain they
are found in. Humans with tumors in the parts of their brains that
govern aggression become aggressive.

Of course, but progressively more so, they don't one day just out of
the blue flip and kill someone.
teri
Old February 27th 05, 06:20 AM
Mary

teri wrote:
It isn't weird at all. Tumors stimulate the parts of the brain they
are found in. Humans with tumors in the parts of their brains that
govern aggression become aggressive.

Of course, but progressively more so, they don't one day just out of
the blue flip and kill someone.
teri

How can you know that? Upon what do you base that? Just as soon as
a brain tumor grows to the point that it exerts pressure on a certain
part of the brain, the behavior governed by that part is triggered.
These are some of the most virulant tumors around, and the onset is
sometimes very sudden--in my experience with people with these disorders.
Old February 27th 05, 04:54 PM
Hemmaholic

"While her daughter was stroking the long-haired white and orange tabby

in the living room, the feline leisurely walked downstairs.

But when Mickey emerged from the basement-area of the home, it was "
a different animal ... it looked as though it was possessed."

Ears flat back, hair standing on end and eyes bulging . . . . "

I'd like to know what happened top this unfortunate animal while it was
in the
basement. Seems to me that something had to have happened to him that
"set him off". Something almost had to have happened to him to set the
animal off. Perhaps something heavy fell, striking the cat and
terrified it so that it's natural survival instincts took over = fight
or flight response. When something happens to severely frighten an
animal and perhaps injure it they will act quite strangely, even to the
point of becoming overly aggresive. To be, and this is only my
opinion, something happened while the cat was in the basement that
totally traumatized it. If you have ever been on the scene when an
animal, especially a cat, has been injured in a fight with another
animal or hit by a car and you came to it's rescue (if it were still
alive and conscious), it is very likely that the animal would not only
growl and hiss at you, but also bite you. Been there, done that, so I
know from personal experience that injured animals act very strangely
when they are scared and in intense pain.

As for the comments about the Police Officer, not being a caring
individual, I beg to differ! The owner DID ask the officer to put the
cat down if opportunity presented itself. Idoubt very seriously that
had he had a choice he would much rather prefered trying to capture the
stricken pet.

Cat Protector sstated. . . "It's
obvious this officer cares very little about life to shoot a frightened
and
upset cat and I have to wonder about the family giving the order to put
the
cat down. I am willing to bet dimes to doughnuts that this family
probably
abused this cat to the point where he couldn't take it anymore.". . .
Nowhere in the article did it say anything that would support your
statement. If anything, I would say the exact opposite was true of
thei officer. How many Police Officers do you know that would return
the following day to check on the child and the family if the whole
episode hadn't bothered and/or upset him? Not very many, most are too
busy and don't have time for such niceties.

The owners referal to Mickey as being "this cat" referes only to the
fact that it was not behaving in it's normal manner, as in "this cat"
was acting so strangely it could not have been "our cat".

Good grief, people, get a grip! This was a very tragic event and many
lives were changed by it. The 12 year old daughter was as traumatized
as the cat, who she knew only as "Mickey", her loving pet, when it
attacked her. She may never trust cats again. The parents who not
only wittnessed the event but are now dealing with the aftermath and
are now helping their daughter get through the trauma of the attack as
well as the loss of her pet. The father who had to make the decision
to have the animal "put down" - putting an animal down is NEVER an easy
decision to come to, no matter what the circumstances. The Police
Officer, who had the task of putting the animal down- also not
something that is "easy" to do and knowing that the method used could
very easily cause the animal even more pain only makes it worse. Some
of you seem to think he enjoyed doing this. I've know a couple of
Police Officers who had to shot an animal that posed a real threat to
public safety as well as their own, and it was NOT something they
wanted to do and definetly did not "enjoy" doing it Ask a Vet if
he/she enjoys putting animals down and they will tell you that they
have had to train themselves to put the needs of the animal before
their own, but that it still bothers them. They're supposed to
preserve life. I know from my own personal experience with animal
control and my own pets over the years, that it is one of the most
difficult things I've ever had to do and some cases were very
emotonally painful and still bother me to this day. I'm sure this
Officer will have a dificult time putting this out of his mind and will
question his actions, even though he knew there really wasn't any other
choice.

I am sorry for all the people directly and to some point indirectly
involved in the tragic event. As for the Animal Control People
connected with the incident, these are who should be "investigated" and
very porbably dismissed and replaced with someone who knows their
duties and responsibilities and how to set priorities. Meetings can be
rescheduled. Lives can't be.

Hemmaholic

Old February 28th 05, 04:27 AM
teri

How can you know that? Upon what do you base that?

Uhh.... maybe my 26 years of experience would do it. I unfortunately
have a lot of it with brain tumors thank you. I will verify my
thoughts with my colleagues in the morning though.

I know you must always have the last word, so go for it, it's all
yours.
Teri

btw, as far as the cat in the article, I still stand by my misplaced
aggression theory - she saw or smelled or heard something in the
basement that put her in a state that was beyond her control. I have
seen it, and unfortunately the trigger is often not even known, but
what was described fits it to a T. It is scary as hell.
Old February 28th 05, 04:41 AM
Mary

"teri" wrote in message

How can you know that? Upon what do you base that?

Uhh.... maybe my 26 years of experience would do it. I unfortunately
have a lot of it with brain tumors thank you.

You and me both. Unfortunately.

I will verify my
thoughts with my colleagues in the morning though.

Good. I'll look forward to hearing about what the other people
who ask "do you want fries with that" think about brain tumors.

I know you must always have the last word, so go for it, it's all
yours.
Teri

You do, do you? Or do you know that you are wrong? The fact
is, symptoms from brain tumors can have very sudden onsets.
It is a fact.

Old March 5th 05, 01:24 AM
teri

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:41:48 -0500, "Mary"
wrote:

Good. I'll look forward to hearing about what the other people
who ask "do you want fries with that" think about brain tumors.

Just a little side note that you might find amusing... (we did anyway)
Your witty little post was discussed at work the other morning, and a
good laugh at you was had by all. But that is not the best part of
course. Later in the day what do you think one of the neuro surgeons
brought me? Ah, you guessed it... an order of fries. So I thank
you, but next time could you please mention Gen. Tso's chicken!!
Old March 5th 05, 01:51 AM
Mary

wrote:

Good. I'll look forward to hearing about what the other people
who ask "do you want fries with that" think about brain tumors.

Just a little side note that you might find amusing... (we did anyway)
Your witty little post was discussed at work the other morning, and a
good laugh at you was had by all. But that is not the best part of
course. Later in the day what do you think one of the neuro surgeons
brought me? Ah, you guessed it... an order of fries. So I thank
you, but next time could you please mention Gen. Tso's chicken!!

Well I'm glad you laughed, I did when I wrote it. (Lighten up for God's
sake. It's just Usenet.)

Back to the point, the onset of symptoms of brain tumors can be very sudden.
You were wrong. You have to know that if you work in a hospital. I have
witnessed
it, and I know that it is true, so you must. Why on earth would you say that
it
wasn't? Hmmm?