Balding cat

Old March 7th 05, 02:45 PM
Lorraine

Default Balding cat

Hi
Who has a balding cat, every winter our Floss washes and washes until
she has no fur left. She looks so sad. I have heard she may have
climate change stress, anyone heard of this.
Lorraine

Old March 7th 05, 04:30 PM
KellyH

"Lorraine" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi
Who has a balding cat, every winter our Floss washes and washes until
she has no fur left. She looks so sad. I have heard she may have
climate change stress, anyone heard of this.
Lorraine

It could also be dry skin from having the heat on in the winter. She could
be itchy, and this is causing her to overgroom. Take her to the vet, this
needs medical attention. Also, try adding a humidifier and look into
derma-caps.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old March 7th 05, 04:54 PM
Karen

Or an allergy to something that comes out that time of year. If you think it
is stress, try buying a Feliway diffuser to see if it helps. Your winters
are milder than us (usually) maybe there is a mold or spore that she is
allergic to.

Old March 7th 05, 05:18 PM
Mary

"Lorraine" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi
Who has a balding cat, every winter our Floss washes and washes until
she has no fur left. She looks so sad. I have heard she may have
climate change stress, anyone heard of this.
Lorraine

It was stress with my cat. I figured out what was bothering her,
removed it, and she stopped.

Old March 7th 05, 06:24 PM
Sharon Chilson

My cat, Kathleen, who is an 8 year old spayed female who lives indoors
and is the only animal in the house, is having a sort-of similar
problem.

For the past couple of weeks she has been scratching, itching, licking,
biting on herself. It's not fleas.

I took her to the vets this morning and they gave her a shot
(depo-medrol is how it's listed on the bill). The vet said it should
give her a couple weeks relief.

According to the notes the vet keeps each time s/he sees Kathleen, she
has had this problem a couple of times over the last two years, but not
to this extent.

Kathleen is not bald, but the fur on her tummy and the back of her hind
legs is sparse, and she has a scab on her back.

The vet said maybe it was a food allergy and suggested some food they
sell there which has an alternative protein source--duck + peas, venison
+ peas, etc.

The vet said I could try changing her food to that alternative protein
source stuff and see if it helps, and if it doesn't, well, then try
something else. She said maybe styroids.

Any suggestions on what to do? If it's a food allergy or any other
allergy, why doesn't it present a problem all year long?

Old March 7th 05, 11:12 PM
Sharon Chilson

I hadn't realized food allergies could come on suddenly for cats. I
don't mind trying a new food to see if it works. But what has me stumped
is--Kathleen had a similar bout of this a year ago (according to the
vets notes), although not to this extent and it came + went without any
treatment. If this is a result of a food allergy, wouldn't she be
plagued with it all year, not just once last year and then now again?

Old March 8th 05, 12:59 AM
Mary

"Sharon Chilson" wrote in message

I hadn't realized food allergies could come on suddenly for cats. I
don't mind trying a new food to see if it works. But what has me stumped
is--Kathleen had a similar bout of this a year ago (according to the
vets notes), although not to this extent and it came + went without any
treatment. If this is a result of a food allergy, wouldn't she be
plagued with it all year, not just once last year and then now again?

Yes. Provided her food stayed the same. What has changed since
she began overgrooming? Climate, season, household members,
food, detergent? Another cat coming into her turf, or seen
through the window? Have you been out more, or in more?
Make a list, and figure that she was overgrooming for a couple of
weeks before she was bald enough for you to notice. Trust me on
this. It just happened to my cat.

Old March 9th 05, 12:46 AM
Kim Kelly via CatKB.com

I kid you not, I just posted a message about my cat with the same problem.
I don't know what to do. I feel so bad for her - my vet gave - I shouldn't
say gave, he SOLD us some spray oatmeal based relief spray and SOLD us a
lamp shade looking thing....SHE HATES IT!! But, it makes her stop
licking.... I feel bad for you kitty, but at least now I know she's not
the only one out there with this problem.

Old March 9th 05, 09:34 PM
Kim Kelly via CatKB.com

Did the Derma Caps work? What are they?