Took Daisy to TED

Old March 17th 05, 03:06 AM
Katz

Default Took Daisy to TED

Between this group & another cat group I belong to, the stories of how
cats hide their illnesses were getting to me. I have personal
experience with this, too, with Bonnie (RB). Daisy acts fine, eats
fine, her weight is fine. But almost all of her behaviors have changed
in the last few months. So I made an appointment that took 10 days to
get b/c I wanted the partner who is aggressive & a good diagnostician,
& I wanted an evening appointment.

We went tonight. As he was looking at & feeling her, he was saying
everything seemed fine. Then he got out the stethoscope. Hhe listened
to her heart for a v-e-r-y long time. This of course made me nervous.
Hhe ended up saying that she has an irregular heart rhythm (not a
murmur). He said that cats can have this & it often is not a problem.
But of course she's never had it before. The result was that he took
blood & we scheduled an EKG for Tuesday. He'll call me w/her blood
results Friday AM at work.

So Daisy, Miss Moxie & I would appreciate a group purr that all her
tests turn out OK, & that having an EKG is not too horrible for her.
She'll have to be in all day Tuesday while I'm at work. Has anybody
else's cat had an EKG?

Thanks,

Katz

Old March 17th 05, 03:17 AM
Victor Martinez

Katz wrote:
So Daisy, Miss Moxie & I would appreciate a group purr that all her
tests turn out OK, & that having an EKG is not too horrible for her.

Lots of purrs for a normal EKG.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 17th 05, 03:25 AM
CatNipped

Purrs that Daisy's test results are good!

Hugs,

CatNipped

ups.com...

Old March 17th 05, 04:08 AM
Christina Websell

"Katz" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I have never had a cat get an EKG. I wonder if it's the same as we call an
ECG in Britain.
If so, I have had two myself and it isn't uncomfortable at all. No
discomfort whatsoever.
Unlike an echocardiogram..

Tweed

Old March 17th 05, 04:21 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article . com,
"Katz" wrote:

[...]

I was with Clifford (RB) when he had cardiac ultrasonography, and, IIRC,
there was a 2-lead EKG running. You normally want some EKG information
when doing echocardiography.

It occurs to me I don't know how complex a EKG you could do on a cat.
The human standard (not simpler telemetry) is "12-lead", which actually
use 9 or 10 wires -- some of the "leads" are combinations. You
certainly couldn't get standard EKG electrodes onto a cat's chest for
the 6 frontal positions -- they would be larger than the cat!

My guess is that somewhere between 3 and 5 spots have to be shaved.
That's probabky the unpleasant part, as well as lying still for the
minute or so of the actual measurement.

Old March 17th 05, 04:31 AM
Katz

Howard Berkowitz wrote:

It occurs to me I don't know how complex a EKG you could do on a cat.

The human standard (not simpler telemetry) is "12-lead", which

actually
use 9 or 10 wires -- some of the "leads" are combinations. You
certainly couldn't get standard EKG electrodes onto a cat's chest for

the 6 frontal positions -- they would be larger than the cat!

My guess is that somewhere between 3 and 5 spots have to be shaved.
That's probabky the unpleasant part, as well as lying still for the
minute or so of the actual measurement.

I've had an EKG myself. As said, nothing to it. But of course, as TED
said, cats squirm & don't cooperate. He did say something about
attachments to her legs. I didn't even think about shaving. Bummer.
Poor Daisy.

So the actual test only takes a minute or so? That's good to know.

Katz

Old March 17th 05, 04:32 AM
Katz

Thanks to all for the purrs. We even got some Australian-accented purrs
by email!

Katz

Humans, places, cats + other pets E-J David Stevenson Cat anecdotes 11 February 10th 07 10:52 PM
Humans, places, cats + other pets E-J David Stevenson Cat health & behaviour 6 February 10th 07 10:52 PM
(US OH) Dog Pound workers armed with license to kill; animal abuse evident [email protected] Cat anecdotes 14 July 22nd 04 10:54 AM
Daisy RB HRFLTiger Cat anecdotes 16 December 28th 03 10:55 PM
Daisy's early morning meowing and curtain destroying Eyman Cat health & behaviour 12 October 3rd 03 05:11 AM