Getting ready for a new aby kitten in Chicago-advice on vets and preparations needed

Old July 23rd 03, 02:30 PM
kaeli

Default Getting ready for a new aby kitten in Chicago-advice on vets and preparations needed

In article ,
enlightened us with...
I have put down a deposit on a new aby and she will be ready to pick
up in late August.
Does anyone have an aby kitten? I have had Siamese cats before.
Should I get toys for climbing? I know aby's are pretty wild. Any
other things I should have on hand for her?

You should always have stuff for climbing, no matter the breed. Get a
nice cat tree. Don't forget several scratching posts and pads to place
through the house so she learns early what is okay for her to scratch.
Get toys to play with her with, such as those long trailing wand things.
You can use these to encourage her to scratch her posts, too.

Also, can anyone recommend a good cat vet on the north side of
Chicago? My old vet was North Avenue Animal Hospital, and I found this
practice to be very incompetent (missing diagnosable illnesses several
time in my cat-lead to an early death)
Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Unfortunately, no, I live in the burbs. Call a local shelter or rescue
group. They usually have good vets. That's how I got my new vet.

Good luck.

~kaeli~
Black holes were created when God divided by 0.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion
that life is serious.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
Old July 23rd 03, 11:09 PM
Sherry

Also, can anyone recommend a good cat vet on the north side of
Chicago? My old vet was North Avenue Animal Hospital, and I found this
practice to be very incompetent (missing diagnosable illnesses several
time in my cat-lead to an early death)
Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Here's two that I recomend:
Chicago Cat Clinic
5301 West Devon

Cat Hospital of Chicago
2851 West Irving Park

These are both on the northwest side so City Cat Doctor, which is downtown on
Wells, maybe closer for you.

And I also recommend you ignore the flak you will get here for adopting a
purebred cat.

Aww, gee, Yngver. That would be me you're speaking of. Honestly, I don't mean
to get so hydraulic. Kitten season will do that to you. But I'm very
equal-opportunity with the flak. My grand-cat is purebred.

Sherry

Old July 24th 03, 04:53 AM
kate

Thanks for the vet recommendations! I have seen the one on Devin
mentioned before, and I have heard of the wone one Irving Park road
but it has never been recommended before. Do you have firsthand
experience with these places? Any specific doctors?
Also, do you think that for cats it is generally a better idea to go
to a cat doctor rather than an all small animal doc?
Thanks so much for your help!
BTW, I understand the reasons why people want to push adoptions. It
is something I have definitely considered, and I have visited many
centers, although I havent connected with any cats. I think it always
something important to think about. I have also been kind of offended
at some of the attitude I have recieved from some of the adoption
coordinators. I must say,I am the ideal cat owner! I work at home, we
dont have kids, I am good with the vet appts and very attentive. It
has really been making me mad! These people are passing up some good
prospects!

Old July 24th 03, 11:52 AM
MaryL

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
in article , kate at
wrote on 7/23/03 10:53 PM:

BTW, I understand the reasons why people want to push adoptions. It
is something I have definitely considered, and I have visited many
centers, although I havent connected with any cats. I think it always
something important to think about. I have also been kind of offended
at some of the attitude I have recieved from some of the adoption
coordinators. I must say,I am the ideal cat owner! I work at home, we
dont have kids, I am good with the vet appts and very attentive. It
has really been making me mad! These people are passing up some good
prospects!

Kate, probably that comes from seeing cats returned or worse, finding cats
they adopted out in the kill shelters. I think it just happens to people

who
work in the field.

Karen

Kate,

I agree with what Karen has written. Please re-think this and don't let a
possible adoption disappear because you don't like the attitude of some
workers you have met at shelters. People who work at shelters are often
skeptical because they have seen so many cats that have been returned, or
adoption agreements violated when people abandon their pets or have them
declawed. I adopted Duffy (my blind kitty) in February. He had previously
been adopted to another woman who kept him for two years, then returned him
to the shelter because he found the woman's pet birds and killed one!
Wouldn't it have been sensible to keep birds separate from a cat, even a
blind cat?? The people at the shelter clearly wanted to give Duffy a chance
because he had been there since November, and most would have been
euthanized during that period. However, they could not have kept him much
longer, with kitten season approaching. If I had worked at that shelter,
seeing him in a cage day after day -- for doing something that is natural to
a cat -- would truly have made me angry. He is truly a wonderful and loving
little cat. So, please, think again about getting a cat from a shelter
instead of purchasing one. You would be giving a cat a chance at life (one
that otherwise would probably be euthanized), and you can find just about
any breed or personality you desire if you spend enough time checking at
shelters. Overlook what you may perceive as "attitude" on the part of
shelter workers, and think about how many potential pets they cannot save.

A good place to start looking is at
www.Petfinder.com.

MaryL