Gender compatibility

Old June 29th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Arnopolin

Default Gender compatibility

Here's the deal:
Our family recently suffered a loss with the death of my eldest (16 yo) male
from cancer/kidney shut down.
I have two other cats; a dsh male (8 yo) who has been totally blind for
about 1 year, and a female (2-1/2 yo) dsh.
Even before our loss Willow (female) claimed dominance over the other two
males.
Its been about a month since we put Ebony down and I want to adopt another
cat/kitten this weekend.
My questions:
Do two females peacefully share the same household?
Also, will it matter if the new female has produced any liters?
I will of course, spay or neuter the new adoptee when its old enough.

My inquiry doesn't really concern the possiblity of two males.
Ebony and Sander were not really buddies, but they occasionally played
together before the introduction of Willow.

Tia,
Rick

Old June 29th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Richard Arnopolin wrote:
[...]

Depends on the cats and the household. Personally, I'd adopt a younger
male in that situation. A Male will be less of a threat to your
female.

-L.

Old June 29th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Depends on the cats and the household. Personally, I'd adopt a younger
male in that situation. A Male will be less of a threat to your
female.

-L.

We have two older (spayed) females -- 12-13 years old, always been
together, adopted by us when they were about 4. They don't even get
along all that well with each other! Last Sat. in the wee hours of the
morning, my son brought home a lovely young male stray whom he found in
a busy street. We made a temporary home for him on our enclosed porch.
By Sat morning proper we had checked the shelters registering him as a
found cat and we decided to keep the new kitty (about 9 months old and
intact) if no one called to claim him. Several days later (after vet
checkup, shots & Advantage) we let him meet the "girls". One ignored
him and he ignored her. The other one began vocalizations (which I
think she meant as growling) whenever he came into the room she was in
and he immediately began to vocalize back and urine spraying (leading
my to think he interpreted her vocalizations as "calling").

Currently, he is recovering from his neutering operation (Tuesday) at
my mom's house and we will try to reintroduce him to the girls in a
week or two. Hopefully his hormones will be down and he will stop the
spraying -- and I suppose a handy water bottle will help the female
learn to stop the vocalizations!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to successfully integrate him
into our household? The female will be going for dental surgery next
Thursday, and I was considering moving the young male into the
household and sending her back to my mom's for a few days of recovery.
Then bringing her home after he's a bit more comfortable in our house.
BTW, she thinks she's the alpha female in the house.

Old June 29th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"Richard Arnopolin" wrote in message
[...]

I think I'd try a male or a laid back female kitten.

My Tigger was the queen of the house. She had always lived with a companion
male. When I brought Isabelle in (she was 3 yr. old) it was hate at first
sight. They came to an agreement over time and pretty much ignored each
other. I swear Isabelle sang hi, ho the witch is dead when Tigger passed and
now she is the queen of the house. Isabelle gets along just fine with both
of my boys but they were just tiny kittens when she first laid eyes on them.

Old June 29th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Hi eabren,

When I have had to introduce a new cat into my household, i keep the
new cat isolated in a room with its own food, water, and litterbox for
about a week. The resident cats can get used to the smell of the new
cat without everyone getting traumatized by an intruder. The hissing
eventually slows down and they may even begin to play under the door.

Then, I bring the new cat out and hold it so the resident cats can see
it and smell it. Once the hissing slows down, I allow the new cat to be
on the floor and wander, but only if I'm supervising. After several of
these exposures, the cats settle into a truce and form new alliances
that include the newcomer.

Although this process takes time, it is much less stressful on
everyone! Wendy

Old June 29th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Alison

There's info on this link on how to introduce cats
http://messybeast.com/first-impressions.htm

Also, Pam Johnson- Bennet has written a book Cat V Cat which is worth
reading.
She is upset and angry at a strange cat on her territory and spraying
with water her
will make her feel worse and she will connect the punishment to the new
cat.
Its not a good idea to hold a cat while introducing them. It could panic
and scratch you badly.

--
Alison
http://catinfolinks.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

oups.com...

Old June 30th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
starphanie77 via CatKB.com

I have had to introduce 2 new female cats into my home...it did take time and
much patience, but both times they have ended up great friends. Of course
mine have both been kittens...

Old June 30th 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

My opinion: people often exaggerate the difficulty of introducing adult
female cats. I have three - the 1st came at 6 months - the other two
were introduced sequentially at two years old. They all get along fine
- one introduction was a litle difficult for a while - the other went
smooth as silk. Look at the personalities, not the gender. And
remember, not all 8 year old cats want to be tortured by a kitten :