I am alive and still kicking

Old October 29th 09, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default I am alive and still kicking

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

It's nice to see you again, Matthew.
I'd like to say two things to you. First. Mothers are often a pain in
the butt but appreciate that pain in the butt when you still have it. I
miss my mother terribly.
Second. Don't you dare have gastric surgery to correct your weight.
It's a dangerous short cut to losing weight and it does not help people
who've got used to, just, well, eating too much.
The secret is to learn to eat less over a period of time, unless you want
to endure a major operation that makes your stomach so small that if you
eat more than an couple of tablespoons you will vomit.
So - what to do? Eat less to lose weight over a period of time or have
the gastric operation? Up to you.

Tweed

What right do you have to tell Matthey or anyone what to do? I've seen
Matthew at the dinner table and my 140 lb daughter ate more than he did.
Matthew is a responsible person who is intelligent enough to do the
research and check out his options before proceeding. Don't you think
that people have a right to make their own decisions without you telling
them what to do?

I have no right at all to tell Matthew what to do. I just know that gastric
surgery can be dangerous and as I care about him I would prefer him to take
another option.
Do you have a problem with that, Pam?
You seem to think I'm making some sort of judgement here. I am not and I'm
surprised that you think I am.

Tweed

Old October 30th 09, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

Hey Matt - careful you don't get pregnant afterwards! G Seriously, my
cousin Chris had the gastric bypass surgery in Feb 2004; she was
morbidly obese, and had tried many different diets, both dr recommended
and OTC before she had the surgery. She immediately started losing
weight, and after 3 months she was able to get into size XL clothes. She
was so happy she could just go out and buy stuff off the rack! Her hubby
and she decided that they didn't want anymore children - they had 2
girls, age 10 and 14, so in April she went to her gyn to get her tubes
tied. They asked her if she was pregnant, and she said no. They decided
to do a pregnancy test anyway.... Emma Rose was born in Dec 2004. G
The drs were worried that the baby (Emma) wouldn't get enough nutrition
because of the restrictive diet Chris was on, but Emma was fine. She
weighed over 6lbs at birth.

Good luck with the surgery!

Mishi
Old October 30th 09, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

I have no right at all to tell Matthew what to do. I just know that gastric
surgery can be dangerous and as I care about him I would prefer him to take
another option.
Do you have a problem with that, Pam?
You seem to think I'm making some sort of judgement here. I am not and I'm
surprised that you think I am.

I agree with you, Tweed. (Wow, we agree on something regarding weight! )

Of course, nobody here can tell anyone else what to do. But I do understand
your concern. Bypass surgery is brutal on the body. People often have
severe health problems after the fact. And I'm not convinced that Matthew
has received all the information about these potential problems, because
doctors are very invested in doing this surgery. I'm not saying it's a big
conspiracy or that the doctor wants to harm Matthew. I'm just saying that
doctors have their perspective, and it's NOT the only perspective out there.
There are others. Matthew, I can send you info if you'd like me to. It's
good to look at things from various angles and read up on the pros and cons,
from *different* people (not just from the medical industry). Then if you
still choose to have the surgery, you will be doing so fully informed.

My feeling about all this - which will come as absolutely no surprise to
anyone - is that our society pays far too much attention to weight and
not enough to health. I mean, getting a piece of your stomach or intestine
cut out (or closed off) for your health? Does that even make sense??

Why not focus on living a healthy lifestyle, rather than on the scale or
the measuring tape? I think we'd all be healthier if we learned to eat
more healthy food, to stop eating when we're full, and to get plenty
of exercise. And to get enough REST, for god's sake. I never hear anyone
talking about that as part of a healthy way to live, but it's just as
important as diet and exercise. I'm not saying this specifically to
Matthew, BTW. I think it's good advice to anyone and that's how I try
to live.

As for Pam's average-sized daughter eating more than Matthew does? That's
just a good example of why I believe that weight is not necessarily
related to what or how much you eat - not in the long run. Sure, you can
starve, and you'll lose weight. But chances are (98% of the time), you'll
gain it back. So I don't put a lot of stock in diets, much less in surgery.
I just try to live well and be as healthy as I can be, at whatever size
I am. So far, I seem to be doing OK.

Here's a great site with info about this:

http://haescommunity.org/

Joyce - gave away her scale years ago!!

--
Annoying nerdspeak: whenever a woman tells me that she loves me with
all her heart, I patiently explain that the heart is an autonomic
Old October 30th 09, 03:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...
I know that I am in and out. Trying to get my head on straight
before I fully put my time back into the groups. Needed a break
from a lot of things

It's nice to see you again, Matthew.
I'd like to say two things to you. First. Mothers are often a
pain in the butt but appreciate that pain in the butt when you
still have it. I miss my mother terribly.
Second. Don't you dare have gastric surgery to correct your
weight. It's a dangerous short cut to losing weight and it does
not help people who've got used to, just, well, eating too much.
The secret is to learn to eat less over a period of time, unless
you want to endure a major operation that makes your stomach so
small that if you eat more than an couple of tablespoons you will
vomit.
So - what to do? Eat less to lose weight over a period of time or
have the gastric operation? Up to you.

To present the other side, my niece and sister in law had the
surgery about eight years ago. It has worked wonderfully for both
of them. I really don't think my SIL would still be alive if she
had not had it.

Long term they think they should have done it much sooner.

Wish I were a candidate. They considered it when they were in
messing around doing a fundoplasty on my stomach and rewiring my
diaphragm but said there was just too much going on already to add
that as well.

Jo

Old October 30th 09, 04:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default OK EVERYONE STOP RIGHT NOW

First it is not bypass did anyone look and read what I was talking about
www.lapband.com
Also did anyone actually take the time to see what I actually said or look
at the website

http://www.lapband.com/get_informed/...izeband/#chart

Second NO FIGHTING between anyone PLEASE. If you want drama go over to some
of the other cat groups we get enough trolls there to have fun with. I am
almost sorry I even shared my good news right now

One I am not starving myself

Two I am eating healthy

Three I CAN'T keep the weight off I am not even going to look up how to
spell the condition. Beside the medications that keep me functioning. I
also am lacking the chemical that normal people have to tell their body that
they are full and what to do with the calories intake. This has been
diagnnosed and is finally recongizied that many many many obese pople have
this and CAN'T HELP THEMSELVES. My calorie intake is about 2000 calories a
day I also go to the gym at least 3 times a week with a trainer. This is
have been a long battle that I am losing. It is breaking me down slowly
both mentally and physically. It hurts to think about all I have lost and
can loss unless I considered drastic change and maybe a radical change.

MY sugars are holding at 104 my tri are in normal range My cholesterol
is so good that my doctor said it is too good and my bad cholesterol is way
to low. I am actually feeling better. My kidneys don't bother me as much
right now. So far holding off needing insulin shots

I thank you for your worries but this is also help in all ways from
mental to physical. Look at it from my point not your experience. I could
care less what people think when they see me. They don't like what they see
I tell them to start kissing one of my fat ass cheeks and keep on going till
they get to the Hershey center. I am doing this for my health and to stay
around for my Mom and fur balls.

Think about it from my point. I can live longer actually go by
regular clothes maybe find a better job with out having to worry how it
will effect and affect my life. I want to go out biking, horse back riding
again with out killingthe horse or breakingthe bike ;-). Hell I want to go
skydiving again and get on a roller coaster but my weight is a major issue.
I have tried If you have never been with issues like this please don't
assume that one can just lose by eating smaller portions. DISCIPLINE has
nothing to do with it. I have the discipline. I quit smoking and drink at
the same time 13 years ago. I have never had either since. I don't go sit
at McDonald and eat the fast food all day. If I do go out for fast food I
have a honey oat wheat sub turkey breast with Swiss with all the veggies no
mayo a little mustard and black pepper from subway with a diet coke or I get
a grilled chicken salad from steak and shake if subway is closed.
Everywhere you look all it is Food Food Food. I know I damn sure feel
sometimes like pulling a chair up to a all you can eat place and going at
it. I know if I do it will make me sick as a dog if I do and will make me
feel like **** in the morning

Let me repeat what I wrote to a response to Tweed.

"That is the old stomach surgery. The one I am trying to get uses a band
that is saline filled that wraps around the top part of the stomach where it
connects to the esophagus not cutting of the stomach check it out
http://www.lapband.com/ the new part of the surgeries is all micro
incisions. You go home the next day and back to work in about 2 weeks.

My problem is like a lot of obese people I have been tested and I lack the
chemical that is produced that tells me I am full.
I eat healthy but I can't not try to pronounce or type out the condition it
is but I just can't lose the weight. The weight loss medication makes me
sick as a dog and screws with my sugar levels badly.

I know it is not an instant fix If it was I would never do it. I learned my
life lesson along time ago if it was easy to do than how do you feel
accomplished. It is a way of life it gets you used to the benefits are
that people that have it most with in the first year become non diabetic,
sleep apnea goes away. If you have high blood pressure it goes down. Plus
many more benefits. There is a lot of steps to go through like 6 to 8
months of weight and stress management. Therapy and evaluations to go
through. 99% of obese people who try to lose weight fail on their own.
Besides the surgery this gets you in the frame of mind to get the job done
and 40% of the people end up not needing the surgery. I am hoping I can be
one of the 40% if not I know I need help and I want help "

Old October 30th 09, 06:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

The bottom line is, it's your business. From what you say, it seems that
every less drastic measure has been explored. Best wishes for a good
outcome.

--
Joy

Don't believe everything you think

g.com...

Old October 30th 09, 06:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

mathew,\ and others;

i purposely stayed out of the other thread, but since this is a new thread i
am going to have my say.

by way of credintails...

Highest weight 251.6
current weight 172
lowest weight in the last six years; 151.2
goal weight 146
i am fifty, five foot four and a female.

having said all of that. mathew please do what works for you. i have every
confidence you are an intelligent man who is not going to do anything rash.
part of my weight issues were from meds i took to keep my sight for as long
as possible... now one well two last things... on a diabetic group i read
because of my brother they were just discussing the effects in a positive
way this surgery has on the "gut" hormones... and lastly good luck with your
endeavors, it has been hard for me and i wouldn't wish weight issues on my
worst issues,

Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

g.com...

Old October 30th 09, 07:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla `=^..^=`

Me too, and sending purrayers your way. Kyla

glad you checked in, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Matthew"
I know that I am in and out. Trying to get my head on straight before I
fully put my time back into the groups. Needed a break from a lot of
things

So blanket purrs and prayers to all that need them.

Right now Phantom is doing better. He still gets sick easily. I think
he has arthritis and having trouble with his stomach. He still is a
grouchy old pain but I still am happy I did not have to make that
decision a while ago. I just reordered his hyperthyroidism medication.
You can tell he is getting old

Jammer is a little ****. ( typical fur nut kitten) He has developed all
of the others bad habits So he has gained the title of why you little
^%&(#%^*(#%^(Q%^#)%&Q)%&Q)_#&* early on.

Phantom and Jammer have little spats you can tell it is dominance but a
few minute later they are laying back to back trying to see who can take
the most space up. Jammer tried to take over Rumble alpha spot and was
politely chased under daddy's feet with a very stern who do you think you
are whooping by Rumble. ;-)

Rumble I think is still a little mad that Jammer is still here. He only
comes into my room now when the time to be feed has past the time or a
snack. Any other time he is hanging out in the living room or somewhere
in between there and mom's room.

Limo is still fine she still wishes she was the only cat in the house.

Ka'shay aka golden girl has turned a beautiful golden color from her red
tabby shade. I need to get her in for her updated rabies and distemper
shots. She is definite mom's cat. Her and jammer play with each other
but I can tell she still misses her best friend may the furball rest in
peace Spirit. ( I still do myself )tears

Dumplin is dumplin still no comment from me. That is mom's doing letting
him have those bad habits and letting me break him of them

Mom is fine. A pain in the ass but that is nothing new

Ok here is my good news and bad news. Allergies have been extreme for
the last few weeks. I still need to get my head straight I need to do
more and get out more before I head back down the depression highway. I
have also lost a few people recently. My mom's friends husband died of
complications from lung cancer. He beat the cancer but it left him
broken and it was his time. I believe he was in his 50's. We lost a
family member; not close, on Saturday to the normal flu. He had other
complications such as COPD and hillbilly stubbornness did not help. He
was 61 I think. He refused to go to the hospital so it got him. Many of
my friends either have the swine flu or a family member has the swine
flu. Even though it has been around along time. It is still a scary
thing. The Doc wants me to have a flu vaccination I said HELL NO last
year it put me in the hospital NEVER AGAIN.

Good news my sugars are still doing great on the new meds. My tri are
up a bit but that is my fault I have not been taking my fish oil. I got
some news on my gastric surgery I wanted to done to help me with my
weight. The insurance will finally admitted they have to cover but Now
comes all the hurdles to jump through. So it will still be about 8
months to a year before I fully qualify to have it done. But at least
the option is on the table and out in the open.

So there it is in a nut shell

I am still around lurking ;-)

Old October 30th 09, 12:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I have no right at all to tell Matthew what to do. I just know that
gastric
surgery can be dangerous and as I care about him I would prefer him to
take
another option.
Do you have a problem with that, Pam?
You seem to think I'm making some sort of judgement here. I am not and
I'm
surprised that you think I am.

I agree with you, Tweed. (Wow, we agree on something regarding weight! )

Of course, nobody here can tell anyone else what to do. But I do
understand
your concern. Bypass surgery is brutal on the body. People often have
severe health problems after the fact. And I'm not convinced that Matthew
has received all the information about these potential problems, because
doctors are very invested in doing this surgery.

(snippage)

You mean the way the gastroenteroligist insisted I needed to have half my
colon removed after my diverticulitis? That is, until he found out I didn't
have insurance. Heh. My doctor told me I'd wind up back in the hospital
within a year, probably several times, if I didn't have this colon surgery.
It's well over a year later and I feel just fine (knock wood).

Doctors are very vested in the lap band (which is different from gastric
bypass, as Matthew has pointed out). I see commercials all the time for the
lap band, telling people to talk to their doctors. They call it a "simple
procedure", as if tying off part of a person's stomach is as simple as tying
a shoelace. Obviously Matthew can and should do whatever he wants; I
certainly hope he's been fully informed.

I had some co-workers who had the "old" surgery (gastric bypass) with not so
wonderful results. One guy had to have it done twice because he wouldn't
stick to the prescribed diet of liquids only for the first week then
graduate to 3 oz. of soft foods only for two weeks. It was his own fault,
of course; he chose to ignore the instructions and went full tilt boogy for
a cheezeburger and slices of pizza the week after the surgery. He wound up
in the hospital and had to have the procedure again. I'm sure our medical
insurance premiums suffered.

Another woman had gastric bypass but no one ever noticed she lost any
appreciable weight. Last time I saw her she'd lost maybe 15 lbs, which
wasn't really enough for anyone who didn't know her to notice. It was
pretty extreme surgery considering no one ever saw the results the doctor
claimed she'd see.

My point: Don't expect miracles. It's not a television commercial. And
don't necessarily trust a doctor who insists it will be right for you... it
might not be. I'd consult a licensed dietition, first. I don't how how
Matthew eats. He may not eat as much as Pam's 140 lb daughter, but who can
say he's eating the right stuff on a regular basis? I dunno.

I simply don't trust surgeons who have a vested interest in promoting
unnecessary surgery. Been there, done that.

Jill

Old October 30th 09, 12:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Why not focus on living a healthy lifestyle, rather than on the scale or
the measuring tape? I think we'd all be healthier if we learned to eat
more healthy food, to stop eating when we're full, and to get plenty
of exercise.

The idea that genes completely explain obesity doesn't make any sense.
The people who are obese in our generation are descended from people
in earlier generations who weren't obese. The genes haven't changed,
the culture has.

The area a few miles around where I live has one of the worst obesity
problems in Europe, comparable to the worse areas in the US. It's had
very little immigration; the population is the same genetically as it
was 40 years ago. But 40 years ago there was virtually no obesity.
Back then, the main industries were coal mining, farming and paper
making, virtually nobody owned a car, all children walked to school,
nobody sat at home playing computer games, and they watched TV for
only a fraction of the time they do now. Diet had more micronutrients
and less additives (you will eat more bulk to get more vitamins or to
dilute toxins) - there are now very places where you can buy fresh
fruit and vegetables and nearly everybody eats packaged stuff heated
in a microwave. Hunting for genetic explanations instead of confronting
these obvious cultural changes is ignoring the elephant in the room.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******