H1N1

Old October 31st 09, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default Cabin Fever: Was H1N1

"hopitus" wrote in message

ROFL. Some of the media anchors here are hysterical on air. It seems I
am not the only one with claustrophobia and stircrazy here. Even the
natives get that way it seems. And not over H1N1.

********************

That itchy feeling as though someone (or thing) is creeping up to grab you
from behind as you huddle under your blanket in the perpetual dark of
winter. Knowing that you are going to run out of food, clothing, TV, books,
music, and cat supplies before the sun ever rises. Realizing that you are
being irrational and not caring. Hysteria over news reports. The sudden
urge to run to the grocery store (can't walk or drive) and scoop up all the
bread, milk, and bottled water before the hurricane. . . oops, that's a
southern/eastern version that strikes, usually, in the fall.

Cabin Fever. That itch that strikes when one realizes that winter is never
going to end and it is still October. Knowing that the owners will dream up
their best b*st*rd cat tricks to amuse themselves and you are actually
looking forward to this. Having to fight through a pile of cat fur before
you can get near the warm. Yup. It's that time of year already.

By January, I was tired of cards, TV, music, books, cross stitch projects,
sewing, kids, cooking, husbands being gone, owners being berserk and on
steroids, snow, sleeping, eating, light, dark, and anything else that I
could find.

Man I miss the north.

Pam S.

Old October 31st 09, 12:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default H1N1

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:27:07 -0700, Joy wrote:
"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 08:33:06 -0230, Cheryl wrote:

If someone was worried, or annoyed at their flu-shot arrangements (or
anything else), I suppose being told to get over it would at least
diffuse the annoyance by providing a new target.

especially if you can't let go of the hysteria.

You are the one who is showing signs of hysteria.

By the way, do you have any idea how pathetic it looks when
you drag out the four year old's "noimnotyouare" argument?
Who did you hope to impress with that childishness?

I dunno. It impressed the hill out of me.

Pam S. giggling over the stupidity

Old October 31st 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...

"hopitus" wrote in message

ROFL. Some of the media anchors here are hysterical on air. It
seems I
am not the only one with claustrophobia and stircrazy here. Even
the
natives get that way it seems. And not over H1N1.

********************

That itchy feeling as though someone (or thing) is creeping up to
grab you from behind as you huddle under your blanket in the
perpetual dark of winter. Knowing that you are going to run out
of food, clothing, TV, books, music, and cat supplies before the
sun ever rises.

Hey we lived in Alaska. I could happen.
I spent one winter in an 8 x 38 foot 'moble home' with a lean to
built on it. I had a newborn, a pregnant dog, and a cat with casts
on both its hind legs. Ice formed on the inside of our bedroom
walls. One neighbor was worried enough that she came over one day
and told me to go somewhere. Anywhere. That she would babysit, but
that I had to get out of there for a while.

[...]

It would be nice to spend an afternoon sitting in front of a roaring
fire and watching it snow outside the window. Provided I don't have
to travel to said location, haul wood for the fire, or shovel or
drive in the snow. Until that can be arraigned I'm staying put.
As it is, fall is in the air and I'm chilled into my bones. Even if
weatherbug does claim its 69.1f outside. God I've turned into a
wimp.

Jo

Old October 31st 09, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

"hopitus" wrote in message

[...]

I think all of us wimps should unite and curl up and sleep like our
pussycats.....until Spring comes again. MLB
Old October 31st 09, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

[Alaska]
Cabin Fever. That itch that strikes when one realizes that
winter is never going to end and it is still October.

I liked this description of how the Alaskans used to deal with the
problem. From Captain John G. Bourke, "Scatalogic Rites of All
Nations", Washington DC; WH Lowdermilk & Co, 1891, on a ceremonial
dance of the Aiga-lukamut Eskimo of the southern coast of Alaska:

: The participants, numbering about ten dozen, were entirely naked, and
: after being seated a short time several natives, detailed as musicians,
: began to sing. Then one of the natives arose, and performed the
: disgusting operation of urinating over the back and shoulders of the
: person seated next to him, after which he jumped down upon the ground,
: and began to dance, keeping time with the music. The one who had been
: subjected to the operation just mentioned, then subjected his nearest
: neighbour to a similar douche, and he in turn the next in order, and
: so on until the last person on the bench had been similarly dealt with,
: he in turn being obliged to accomodate the initiator of the movement,
: who ceases dancing for that purpose. In the meantime all those who
: have relieved themselves step down and join in the dance, which is
: furious and violent, inducing great perspiration and an intolerable
: stench. No additional information was given further than that the
: structure may have been used in this instance as a sudatory, the urine
: and violent movements being deemed sufficient to supply the participants
: with a sweat-bath.

At least you wouldn't be bored. And it was probably safer than the way
Californian New Agers do it.

Seems to have been men-only though. Bourke quotes somebody else as
saying the place they did it was "a sort of town hall for the male
members of the tribe".

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old November 3rd 09, 04:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cl

Marina wrote:

We had the first death from H1N1 in Finland a couple of days ago. A
pregnant woman with a chronic condition (unspecified in the media). They
are vaccinating medical workers, pregnant women, and children now,
starting on people with chronic conditions putting them at risk next week.

In Finland it sounds like you all are in the same boat as where I am in
the US. Only enough H1N1 vaccine is available for children under 18 or
caretakers of children under 6 (which includes medical personnel)