[OT] Diets & stuff

Old November 3rd 09, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Diets & stuff

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

For the record, I was thinking about things like artherosclerosis
and high blood pressure, not what a measuring tape might tell you.

There was a very old study (about 50 years ago) which settled that
one decisively, looking at the lumberjacks of eastern Finland. Most
of their calories came from dairy fat, but they were some of the
fittest men in the world. Didn't do a thing to protect them from
heart disease: their incidence of it was one of the worst anywhere.
They didn't get fat, they just dropped down dead.

Well, if they had heart disease, I'd be pretty reluctant to call them
"fit". I *thought* that meant "in good physical shape", which generally
doesn't include someone who is about to drop dead of a heart attack.

The cause might not've been their diet, though. It could be that they
worked (or *were* worked) to death. Exercise is great for you, but the
body does have limits.

--
After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then reimagine
the world.
Old November 3rd 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote in message
[...]

My sister had a significant other drop dead from a heart attack less
than two weeks after passing a complete physical with flying colors.
He was forty years old. Anyone who knew him would have said he was
in great shape. Not all heart problems are apparent or easy to
diagnose. They are also not all the result of bad habits. We just
like to believe that our behavior has more impact on our lifespan
than is entirely true.

Jo

Old November 3rd 09, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Jofirey wrote:

My sister had a significant other drop dead from a heart attack less
than two weeks after passing a complete physical with flying colors. He
was forty years old. Anyone who knew him would have said he was in
great shape. Not all heart problems are apparent or easy to diagnose.
They are also not all the result of bad habits. We just like to believe
that our behavior has more impact on our lifespan than is entirely true.

There's an extended local family some of whose members have an inherited
tendency to drop dead suddenly from heart attacks. For generations,
people just thought well, they don't make old bones, but eventually a
genetic researcher became interested and identified the problem and now
they can test to see who has inherited the faulty gene.

--
Cheryl
Old November 3rd 09, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jofirey wrote:

My sister had a significant other drop dead from a heart attack less
than two weeks after passing a complete physical with flying colors.
He was forty years old. Anyone who knew him would have said he was
in great shape. Not all heart problems are apparent or easy to
diagnose. They are also not all the result of bad habits. We just
like to believe that our behavior has more impact on our lifespan
than is entirely true.

I agree completely! It's scary to acknowledge that a lot of it is up
to chance. Obviously, if you do a lot of risky things, your chances are
higher of having health problems. But I'm sure most of us can come up
with an example of someone who had what we'd consider to be the worst
lifestyle habits, yet lived to age 95. I knew a guy who smoked, ate bacon
and donuts and drank tons of coffee every day. He got lung cancer and was
given 6 months to live - but managed to survive another 5 years. And for
most of those years, he was well enough to travel, and to continue to eat
bacon, donutes, to smoke, etc. He only got very sick near the end. I used
to say that he was indestructible, and lord knows, he tried!

Joyce

--
The sun rose slowly, like a fiery furball coughed up uneasily onto a
sky-blue carpet by a giant unseen cat.
Old November 4th 09, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

My sister had a significant other drop dead from a heart attack less
than two weeks after passing a complete physical with flying colors.
He was forty years old. Anyone who knew him would have said he was
in great shape. Not all heart problems are apparent or easy to
diagnose. They are also not all the result of bad habits. We just
like to believe that our behavior has more impact on our lifespan
than is entirely true.

That was much like my father, who looked superbly fit (cycled to
work every day, same weight in his 60s as in his 20s) and dropped
dead of a heart attack at age 64 (he was just about to retire back
to England and was loading his furniture into a truck). He'd had
no warning signs at all.

I'm 60, have just had a minor heart attack and I was unusually fit
for my age too. (One of the doctors in the cardiology ward said
"you seem to be Mr Healthy, what are you doing here?"). The common
factor seems to be that neither of us paid much attention to the
fat content of our diets. My cholesterol level wasn't anything out
of the ordinary, but it must have been too high for me.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old November 4th 09, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

and this fact is really the most pertinent when it comes to anything to do
with health, bp. bg. weight or any number of things while there are general
guidelines, are not the same for everyone, and what you can tolerate say in
the way of meat i may need more or may have to avoid it altogether... and
that is why we can't judge others. Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
[...]

====
Jack Campin, 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland == mob 07800 739
557
CD-ROMs and free stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic
fonts
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted
******

Old November 6th 09, 05:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Nov 5, 7:38*pm, hopitus wrote:
On Nov 3, 4:39*pm, wrote:

Jofirey wrote:

[...]

From my employment observations over time....lung cncer, though
usually
terminal, appears not to be an especially *painful* disease to suffer
a fatal
exit from. It is not the reason I quit smoking....which was that I
might *live*
in a state like many patients I worked on and several friends I knew,
who
had lung conditions from smoking so crippling it blew me away to visit
them.
I will say that if *I* was diagnosed with lung cancer I, like your
friend, would
be stuffing myself with bacon, donuts (haven't had a donut since
about
spring 2003!). I do drink much coffee, black, no sugar, but no
smoking.
Like, if you have lung cancer, WTF is bacon and donut fat gonna wreak?
LOL.
Unlike your friend, that disease usually takes its toll much sooner
than 5 years.- Hide quoted text -

About the only vice I have left is Coca Cola, and I am very attached
to my
last remaining vice. Today I read that the powers that be are
considering
attaching a sin tax to it, much like alcholo and cigs. Because soft
drinks
(they say) cause Obesity, Diabetes and contribute to heart attacks.
I am feeling very put-upon by this. I hate coffee, the smell makes me
sick.
So the first thing I grab in the morning is a Coke.
So why not pick on the coffee drinkers -- it's got caffeiene too, and
add
enough cream and sugar and I daresay it's not much better than Coke.

What's next? Are they going to tax candy bars?

I haven't had a donut in nine years. I missed out on the whole Krispy
Kreme fad.

Sherry
Old November 6th 09, 06:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

About the only vice I have left is Coca Cola, and I am very attached
to my
last remaining vice. Today I read that the powers that be are
considering
attaching a sin tax to it, much like alcholo and cigs. Because soft
drinks
(they say) cause Obesity, Diabetes and contribute to heart attacks.
I am feeling very put-upon by this. I hate coffee, the smell makes me
sick.
So the first thing I grab in the morning is a Coke.
So why not pick on the coffee drinkers -- it's got caffeiene too, and
add
enough cream and sugar and I daresay it's not much better than Coke.

Why pick on anyone??

The only thing I do agree with is getting junk food out of schools.
That's something I'm happy to say I missed out on - I graduated high
school before they started putting vending machines in schools. We
had something called a "hot lunch program". It cost a quarter for
a balanced meal. OK, kids complained about the "mystery meat", etc,
but it really wasn't that bad.

Now kids are having chips and coke for lunch.

I haven't had a donut in nine years. I missed out on the whole Krispy
Kreme fad.

Me, too. I finally tried one a couple of years ago, when a Krispy Creme
place opened in the Bay Area. You should have seen the pandemonium over
that, similar to when the first Ikea opened up around here. Anyway,
I didn't really like them (the donuts) that much, to tell you the truth.

Joyce

Old November 6th 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

hopitus wrote:
On Nov 5, 11:33 pm, wrote:
Sherry wrote:

[...]

I lost interest in donuts, just like cigarets, long ago. Let me tell
you, the desire
for ciggies lasted way, way longer than the donut interest. I never
had a Krispy
Kreme, ever, but AFAIC donuts are like poison - flour, sugar, and
hydroginated
fat....on probably much better tasting than poison, LOL.
And what Joyce says about school food is true, at least where I lived.
My high
school was smack across the street from a bakery and every morning
before I
trudged across the street to school, I would spend 60 cents for a coke
and a
eclair from there and wolf it down. This went on for grades
8-12.Breakfast.

When I was in grades 5 and 6, if ever I had a nickel to spend, I would
go across the street from the school to a small grocery store and buy a
large dill pickle. What DELIGHT! mlb
Old November 7th 09, 09:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

i love them, and actually sell a very nice garlic dill from my vending
machines, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"MLB" wrote in message