Waltham/Royal Canin Renal

Old July 13th 04, 08:14 PM
Brandy Alexandre

Default Waltham/Royal Canin Renal

Argh! I'm so annoyed.

Kami has rejected all of the renal diets. It's not that she doesn't like
them, she just gets frustrated because she licks her food flat to the bowl
or plate. She's dainty. This is why we've always gotten chunk food. You
guys told me that the Waltham diet is chunky so I've been looking for it.
The vet will only order full cases and I just want to see if she likes it!

The Banfield clinic in my local PetsMart carries Royal Canin and I called
and asked if they had it, because I had looked a few months ago and they
didn't. The twit said yes. So I give them the vet's number to verify the
prescription. I called later to make sure everything was okay. Yes it
was. When I got there, and stood in line for 15 minutes, they didn't have
it! Called all the other local Banfields and they didn't have it either.
Turns out they won't be getting it for another month or so and there is a
code on the shelf to indicate that.

Don't you just LOVE when people don't listen to what you're asking and
waste everyone's time? So, I ordered the case from the vet. I hope you
guys are right and she likes it.

At least while I was at PetsMart I picked up her old food because she just
hasn't eaten much. And this is the old before the Nutro, which she decided
she didn't like after I bought 3 cases. She actually ate a full meal last
night and I gave her some baby food on top of it.

But, please reassure me, cats like the Waltham.
Old July 13th 04, 08:25 PM
J1Boss

Kami has rejected all of the renal diets.

Have you tried Hi-Tor Neo Diet? My cats have developed quite a liking for it,
it's inexpensive, and available commercially.

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

Old July 13th 04, 08:54 PM
Karen

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
. 41...
[...]

WEll, there is no guarantee what cats will like, but you are right, it is
MORE important that she eat than that she eat the prescription food. If she
likes the Waltham's, happy day, problem solved. But most of all just make
sure she eats.

Old July 14th 04, 07:25 PM
J1Boss

What is the texture of it?

--
BrandyÂ*Â*Alexandre

kind of juicy ground-beef like, if that makes sense. Not pate, but not
slices/chunks either.

Old July 14th 04, 09:09 PM
Steve Crane

Brandy Alexandre wrote in message .41...
Argh! I'm so annoyed.

Kami has rejected all of the renal diets. It's not that she doesn't like
them, she just gets frustrated because she licks her food flat to the bowl
or plate. She's dainty. This is why we've always gotten chunk food. You
guys told me that the Waltham diet is chunky so I've been looking for it.
The vet will only order full cases and I just want to see if she likes it!

Just to make sure you've tried them all.

Prescription Diet k/d minced chicken version canned
Prescription Diet k/d loaf canned version
Prescription Diet k/d dry
Prescription Diet g/d canned version
Prescription Diet g/d dry version
Eukanuba Veterinary Diets Multi-Stage Renal dry only
Purina NF canned version
Purina NF dry version

The difficulty with Waltham is that they are in transition. The merger
of Royal Canin and Waltham means that the former Waltham Renal Support
product made in 3oz pouches is being re-labelled as Royal Canin
Veterinary Diet Renal LP in 3 oz pouches. Same food different name.
Anytime a product name changes there are glitches in the system that
cause problems. As an example if the vet hospital has a computer
product code that is for Product A and then products changes names to
Product B, the computer keeps trying to order Product A which is no
longer available and nobody knows that Product B is the new name of
it. You wouldn't think this would happen but it does.

Any of the dry food can be fairly easily made in a "chunks" type of
wet product by dropping them in a blender with some water. Let it soak
up the water abit first then give it a few seconds of blenderizing
until you get a consistency you think will work. Drop the stuff in the
microwave for a very few seconds, just long enough to warm to slightly
above room temp, enough to solubolize the fats and make it smell good
to the cat. Renal cats are sometimes the toughest group to get on the
right diet, they are not feeling all that well and don't want to eat
anyway, while at the same time they really need to get those calories
in - without excess phosphorus - to survive.

Old July 15th 04, 06:05 PM
Brandy Alexandre

(Steve Crane) wrote in
om:

Just to make sure you've tried them all.

Prescription Diet k/d minced chicken version canned

Took a few bites, wouldn't eat it after an hour.

Prescription Diet k/d loaf canned version

No way in hell.

Prescription Diet k/d dry

Uses it for nibbles, won't eat dry as main food.

Prescription Diet g/d canned version
Prescription Diet g/d dry version

Vet said no.

Eukanuba Veterinary Diets Multi-Stage Renal dry only

No dry, but we got a couple of cans. It's too similar to k/d in that
it's predominantly liver. She HATES liver.

Purina NF canned version

Out of the three, she liked this best, but still had too much of a
proble with it being loaf/minced.

Purina NF dry version

Won't eat dry.

The difficulty with Waltham is that they are in transition. The merger
of Royal Canin and Waltham means that the former Waltham Renal Support
product made in 3oz pouches is being re-labelled as Royal Canin
Veterinary Diet Renal LP in 3 oz pouches. Same food different name.
Anytime a product name changes there are glitches in the system that
cause problems. As an example if the vet hospital has a computer
product code that is for Product A and then products changes names to
Product B, the computer keeps trying to order Product A which is no
longer available and nobody knows that Product B is the new name of
it. You wouldn't think this would happen but it does.

I think I found that out.

Any of the dry food can be fairly easily made in a "chunks" type of
wet product by dropping them in a blender with some water. Let it soak
up the water abit first then give it a few seconds of blenderizing
until you get a consistency you think will work. Drop the stuff in the
microwave for a very few seconds, just long enough to warm to slightly
above room temp, enough to solubolize the fats and make it smell good
to the cat. Renal cats are sometimes the toughest group to get on the
right diet, they are not feeling all that well and don't want to eat
anyway, while at the same time they really need to get those calories
in - without excess phosphorus - to survive.

The vet just called to say the Thyroid tests came back normal, so
there's a plus. She said to stick with the Savory cuts if she's eating
it. She said not to give baby food except as a tease to get to eat, and
we'll wait to see if the Royal Canin comes and what she thinks of it.
She suggested mixing it with Savory Cuts. If she can get half
presciption it's better than none, but if she'll only eat commercial, we
can deal with it. Wants her back in 3 weeks for dental.