My baby kitty

Old July 17th 04, 02:50 AM
John Campbell

Brandie wrote:

snip

How long can coccodia or any other disease live in a home?
Could it be the tarter control treats he ate? Any ideas/advice would be
very comforting.
Thank You!
Brandie

Coccidia and giardia can be permanent in a home that has
lizards and especially turtles. If you have such, just move
them somewhere else for a few months until the kitten is
an adolescent with a functioning immune system.

John
Old July 17th 04, 12:49 PM
~*Connie*~

coccidia is actually extremely common and can live in the gut of very
healthy cats. When the immune system becomes compromised (aka a vaccine or
other health issues) it can bloom. Albon is the recommended medication for
it. It does not kill it, but helps keep it in control until the animals
immune system can take over. Yogurt helps as well, and I also find feeding
canned pumpkin can help firm up the stools.

If the vomiting came shortly after the vaccines, he probably had a reaction,
although from the tone of the letter it doesn't sound that way. He might
have gotten into something he shouldn't have. If he's not eating by now,
some force feeding and a trip to the vet would be in order.

Good luck!

"Brandie" wrote in message
Please help. I had a new kitten about 2.5 months ago. He was found in a
storage shed at an apt complex along with all the tools and lawn care
equipment that comes in one. We had no idea how old he was when they gave
him to me, and although he was really small he seemed to be doing fine.

Then
about a week later he started getting a yellowish diarrhea that persisted
for a few days. I took took him to an emergency visit at 10pm where they

vet
did blood tests and hooked him up to an IV. While we were there the kitten
then threw up for the first time. She gave me some medicine and

electolytes
to give him. He seemed to be doing better except for the diarrhea, which

he
wasn't able to hold and would just go. The vet visit was on Sat, Monday
morning at 5am he died. The vet said that he might have had coccidia but
wasn;t really sure what the cause of death was.

Now to my current problem. I just got another kitten(its been almost 3
months since little Vincent) He has been super playful and eating well. He
is about 8-9 weeks old now and has had a clean bill of heath. I got him
Sunday 10th and he had his first round of rabies shots before that. When i
got home today, I noticed that he had thrown up several times. Its been
kinda yellowish and sometimes foamy. What i also noticed was that in my
haste to get to work, I fed him a pack of treats for tarter control. He
didn't eat that many but still ate some Im sure. He hasn't had diarrhea,

but
he hasn't had an appetite. He usually goes nuts over his canned food but

not
today. How long can coccodia or any other disease live in a home? Could it

Old July 17th 04, 05:25 PM
Brandie

Thanks for the advice. He hasn't had diarrhea yet and hopefully won't. I
actually just got back fromt the vet. He threw up again this morning but
this time is was pink. The vet determined he was dehydrated.and hooked him
up to an IV, and gave me albon to give him. Fortunately he kept it down. He
doesn't want to move much though, but I guess if i was sick i woudn't want
to move much either. What is really strange is that he just sits in front of
his water bowl. He did that at my mothers house also. He sits but won't
drink....Do you recommend a certain flavor of yogurt. It won't give him
diarrhea will it?
Thanks,
Brandie

Old July 19th 04, 09:21 PM
Sharon Talbert

In your case, I recommend you first find another vet. Take the kitten in
for an exam, along with fresh stool for a fecal. Coccidia is nasty and
hard to detect. If the test is negative, consult with the (new) vet about
starting the kitten on albon anyway.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats