Help! My cat hates my fiance

Old February 26th 05, 12:55 AM
Brandon Burch via CatKB.com

Default Help! My cat hates my fiance

For the past year my cat has peed on everything that is NOT mine. He has
been peing on everything that IS my fiance's however and my papazan chair
is ruined. He even pee's on clean clothes if they are left in the basket
downstairs. I have tried everything from rubbing his nose in it to almost
smacking it off when I catch him doing it. How do I get him to stop??

Old February 26th 05, 01:08 AM
CatNipped

"Brandon Burch via CatKB.com" wrote in message
For the past year my cat has peed on everything that is NOT mine. He has
been peing on everything that IS my fiance's however and my papazan chair
is ruined. He even pee's on clean clothes if they are left in the basket
downstairs. I have tried everything from rubbing his nose in it to almost
smacking it off when I catch him doing it. How do I get him to stop??

ducking to avoid the barrage to come!!!

Um, get rid of the fiance??! Better yet, give the cat to someone who knows
how to take care of a cat and cares enough to *NOT* abuse an animal???!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 26th 05, 02:01 AM
JJ

Get a urinalysis for your cat. Rule out a urinary infection or
crystals in urinary tract....this may be a medical problem which you
are interpretting as a behavior problem. Don't wait, see your vet you
cat may be getting worse and urinary crystals can lead to urinary tract
obstruction.

Old February 26th 05, 04:05 AM
John Doe

"Brandon Burch via CatKB.com" wrote:

For the past year my cat has peed on everything that is NOT mine.
He has been peing on everything that IS my fiance's however and my
papazan chair is ruined. He even pee's on clean clothes if they
are left in the basket downstairs. I have tried everything from
rubbing his nose in it to almost smacking it off when I catch him
doing it. How do I get him to stop??

Keep the litter box clean. Avoid badgering your cat. Cats do not
respond to pressure, you have to outsmart them. As a human being,
you should be more able to understand your cat than forcing your cat
to understand you. If you make life near the litter box tense or
otherwise unpleasant, your cat might avoid it.

For what it's worth. About using force on an indoor-only cat. I am
all for using force, but only if I am sure it will do some good (and
not alienate my cat). Beating a cat makes it nervous and can cause
undesirable side effects. Keeping your cat inside is good but you
can understand the effect of it being confined. If the cat were
outside, it's natural response to beating would be to run away. A
cat can be well behaved and happy inside. The only thing brute force
is useful for is a momentary deterrent. Persistent repetition of
well-controlled force in a nonaggressive manner might be useful,
also for making sure your cat knows who's boss (use your voice in
combination).

Good luck.

Old February 26th 05, 04:15 AM
kitkat

John Doe wrote:

For what it's worth. About using force on an indoor-only cat. I am
all for using force, but only if I am sure it will do some good (and
not alienate my cat). Beating a cat makes it nervous and can cause
undesirable side effects. Keeping your cat inside is good but you
can understand the effect of it being confined. If the cat were
outside, it's natural response to beating would be to run away. A
cat can be well behaved and happy inside. The only thing brute force
is useful for is a momentary deterrent. Persistent repetition of
well-controlled force in a nonaggressive manner might be useful,
also for making sure your cat knows who's boss (use your voice in
combination).

Good luck.

What do you mean by using force exactly? (or do I really not want to
know...)

From: kitkat
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: Help! My cat hates my fiance

From: kitkat
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 04:15:42 GMT

Just kidding! How is Jasper?
Old February 26th 05, 05:31 AM
John Doe

kitkat wrote:
John Doe wrote:

For what it's worth. About using force on an indoor-only cat. I
am all for using force, but only if I am sure it will do some
good (and not alienate my cat). Beating a cat makes it nervous
and can cause undesirable side effects. Keeping your cat inside
is good but you can understand the effect of it being confined.
If the cat were outside, it's natural response to beating would
be to run away. A cat can be well behaved and happy inside. The
only thing brute force is useful for is a momentary deterrent.
Persistent repetition of well-controlled force in a nonaggressive
manner might be useful, also for making sure your cat knows who's
boss (use your voice in combination).

What do you mean by using force exactly? (or do I really not want
to know...)

Are you saying that all force is bad? There is no gray area?

In my opinion, the trick to good cat keeping is understanding the
animal, not the other way around. I'm not the most skilled, however
I think that is a very good principal. I do not treat my cats like
young human children. They will never learn to understand me and my
ways like a child eventually learns.

Cats understand well-controlled force. I can see it in the
interaction between my two cats. They are rougher on each other than
I am (ideally) on them. I even take how they feel into
consideration. Have you ever noticed a cat being upset after you
discipline it? One time I forced my cat out of the area. It walked
into the other room, passing under a chair, and swiped at a cloth
hanging down from the seat as if to angrily say "get out of my
way!".

My cats are healthy and happy. Their life outside was cruel, at
least physically cruel.

Assuming your house is hospitable to human beings, if your cats
respond to a force free environment, good for you. By the way. When
you see an abused, starving cat outside, how do you cope? I cope by
putting more effort into improving the life of my befriended now
indoor-only cats.

Old February 26th 05, 05:35 AM
kitkat

Mary wrote:

Just kidding! How is Jasper?

Well, other than the fact taht he has not pooped since yesterday
morning, he is doing GREAT. We are going to the vet tomorrow to pick up
his prescription food so we'll address that issue first thing tomorrow.
It's odd, because he seems perfectly fine. I don't see him going in the
box and coming out unsuccessful. I wonder if any of his drugs or a combo
of them could be causing some constipation. If it's not one thing, it's
another. At least he doesn't have oozing tush anymore?!?!!

Pam
Old February 26th 05, 05:42 AM
kitkat

John Doe wrote:

What do you mean by using force exactly? (or do I really not want
to know...)

Are you saying that all force is bad? There is no gray area?

No. I am asking what you mean by force. In other words, does any of your
force cause the cat pain...even if for an instant? Or are you just
talking about picking the cat up and moving it from a problem
situation/area/whatever.

Cats understand well-controlled force. I can see it in the
interaction between my two cats. They are rougher on each other than
I am (ideally) on them. I even take how they feel into
consideration. Have you ever noticed a cat being upset after you
discipline it? One time I forced my cat out of the area. It walked
into the other room, passing under a chair, and swiped at a cloth
hanging down from the seat as if to angrily say "get out of my
way!".

When I say "NO!" to Luna...the look on her face is priceless. Jasper
cant see or hear me, so I can't really "discipline" him...and really
have no need to.

Assuming your house is hospitable to human beings, if your cats
respond to a force free environment, good for you.

I hope my house is "hospitable to human beings" since there are 2 of us
human being types living here! And again...just wondering exactly what
you mean by force. That's all.

By the way. When you see an abused, starving cat outside, how do you cope? I cope by
putting more effort into improving the life of my befriended now
indoor-only cats.

Fortunately, I don't see this often. I can't think of the last time I
saw an abused, starving cat outside. I don't think I'd be able to ignore
that. But even when I go to the pet store, like PetSmart, and they have
the kitties for adoption there, seeing them makes me want to race home
and cuddle with my own kitties. I am so glad I have them!