Help! My cat hates my fiance

Old February 26th 05, 06:10 AM
Mary

kitkat wrote:
Mary wrote:

Just kidding! How is Jasper?

Well, other than the fact taht he has not pooped since yesterday
morning, he is doing GREAT. We are going to the vet tomorrow to pick up
his prescription food so we'll address that issue first thing tomorrow.
It's odd, because he seems perfectly fine. I don't see him going in the
box and coming out unsuccessful. I wonder if any of his drugs or a combo
of them could be causing some constipation. If it's not one thing, it's
another. At least he doesn't have oozing tush anymore?!?!!

Pam

It has to be the drugs and just the disruption in his eating and
drinking routine. I am not on any prescription or over-the-counter
drugs, but when I have to take anti-biotics for, say, a dental cleaning
it messes me up. 'Nuff said about that!
Old February 26th 05, 06:14 AM
kitkat

Mary wrote:
kitkat wrote:

Mary wrote:

Just kidding! How is Jasper?

Well, other than the fact taht he has not pooped since yesterday
morning, he is doing GREAT. We are going to the vet tomorrow to pick
up his prescription food so we'll address that issue first thing
tomorrow. It's odd, because he seems perfectly fine. I don't see him
going in the box and coming out unsuccessful. I wonder if any of his
drugs or a combo of them could be causing some constipation. If it's
not one thing, it's another. At least he doesn't have oozing tush
anymore?!?!!

Pam

It has to be the drugs and just the disruption in his eating and
drinking routine. I am not on any prescription or over-the-counter
drugs, but when I have to take anti-biotics for, say, a dental cleaning
it messes me up. 'Nuff said about that!

I am definitely hoping it's just that and my gut instinct agrees with
ya. That is why I am not panicking and calling the emergency vet this
evening. As comfortable and happy as he seems...I think the matter can
wait til the morning.

In the meanwhile...Little Luna is really cracking me up. She wants to
eat Jasper's dry food, which according to the vet does not have enough
nutrients for her. And she just helped herself and finished the snack of
baby food I had put out for Jasper. I *swear* she has that look of
rebellion in her eye as she eats his food, too. LOL. friggen cats!

Pam
Old February 26th 05, 06:44 AM
John Doe

kitkat wrote:
John Doe wrote:

Assuming your house is hospitable to human beings, if your cats
respond to a force free environment, good for you.

I hope my house is "hospitable to human beings" since there are 2
of us human being types living here! And again...just wondering
exactly what you mean by force. That's all.

What I mean by "appropriate force". The subject is too complicated,
the definition is too common (you can dispute that, it's just too
complicated), my idea of appropriate force is not written in stone,
and my actions are subject to change. These might be the
qualifications.

.... helps the animal understand my greater size, weight, and strength
(I am king here)... I also happen to admire my cats coordination,
quickness, and courage (and appreciate its sharp, long claws)

.... helps the animal understand that it should play fairly,
it cannot push me around or hurt the other cat

.... is constrained by the evaluation of whether the cat's life is
better on the inside than it would be outside, whether I think the
cat probably would run away if it were able to

.... maybe also constrained by not wanting my arms scratched up (it's
a learning experience)

.... driven by the understanding that just saying No does not work...
what I see is an animal that will never surrender, without
correction, it will attempt to encroach forever (like maybe any
other mortal being)

Just saying No works for you? Really? That's great.

By the way. When you see an abused, starving cat outside, how do
you cope? I cope by putting more effort into improving the life
of my befriended now indoor-only cats.

Fortunately, I don't see this often. I can't think of the last time
I saw an abused, starving cat outside. I don't think I'd be able to
ignore that. But even when I go to the pet store, like PetSmart,
and they have the kitties for adoption there, seeing them makes me
want to race home and cuddle with my own kitties. I am so glad I
have them!

Old February 26th 05, 05:50 PM
Mary

"kitkat" wrote:

I am definitely hoping it's just that and my gut instinct agrees with
ya. That is why I am not panicking and calling the emergency vet this
evening. As comfortable and happy as he seems...I think the matter can
wait til the morning.

How is he? I missed this last night.

In the meanwhile...Little Luna is really cracking me up. She wants to
eat Jasper's dry food, which according to the vet does not have enough
nutrients for her. And she just helped herself and finished the snack of
baby food I had put out for Jasper. I *swear* she has that look of
rebellion in her eye as she eats his food, too. LOL. friggen cats!

I know. Cheeks has taken to sneaking down and eating what
Buddha has not finished of her canned food. She just thinks it
is funny, because Boo guards it so vigilantly, but eventually goes
off for a nap and is too fat and slow to get back to it when
sleepy. The most hilarious thing is that every morning at
feeding time when both cats are standing in the kitchen
watching me make my coffee, fill their water dishes, and
eventually open the cat food, Cheeks tries to sniff Buddha's
butt. She has been doing this for three years, and every
time, Buddha wheels around and dares her to try it again,
at which point Cheeks generally slinks off like "I wasn't doin'
nothin,' man. Jeeze." Well this morning Cheeks waited until
Boo's back was turned, went in for a sniff, and when Boo
wheeled, little skinny Cheeky sat back and mock slapped at
her. Buddha then did the same, and it was like "Girly fights"
in the kitchen for a few seconds, with them both back on
their haunches giving half-hearted slaps at each other like
they would really rather not touch one another at all.
I howled. Little comedians.

Old February 26th 05, 07:09 PM
kitkat

Mary wrote:
"kitkat" wrote:

I am definitely hoping it's just that and my gut instinct agrees with
ya. That is why I am not panicking and calling the emergency vet this
evening. As comfortable and happy as he seems...I think the matter can
wait til the morning.

How is he? I missed this last night.

still no poop, but he is as happy as a clam. the vet said the low
residue food he is on will produce less poop. she also said that unless
he is straining to poop and is unsuccessful that there's nothing to
worry about. so, we'll give him another day or so and then start
hounding the vet again.

im thinking of trying some pumpkin since it has been mentioned here that
it could help with constipation.

poor jasper. if it's not one thing it's another!

Old February 26th 05, 07:36 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"kitkat" wrote in message
Mary wrote:
"kitkat" wrote:

I am definitely hoping it's just that and my gut instinct agrees with
ya. That is why I am not panicking and calling the emergency vet this
evening. As comfortable and happy as he seems...I think the matter can
wait til the morning.

How is he? I missed this last night.

still no poop, but he is as happy as a clam. the vet said the low
residue food he is on will produce less poop. she also said that unless
he is straining to poop and is unsuccessful that there's nothing to
worry about. so, we'll give him another day or so and then start
hounding the vet again.

im thinking of trying some pumpkin since it has been mentioned here that
it could help with constipation.

Maybe he's not constipated, just not enough accumulated yet ( new food)
for him to have to poop? I don't know - have never had a cat on this sort
of food, just hazarding a guess...

Glad he's feeling so much better.

Cathy

poor jasper. if it's not one thing it's another!

Old February 26th 05, 07:56 PM
kitkat

Cathy Friedmann wrote:

Maybe he's not constipated, just not enough accumulated yet ( new food)
for him to have to poop? I don't know - have never had a cat on this sort
of food, just hazarding a guess...

Glad he's feeling so much better.

Cathy

It is all such a mystery.
But if the vet isn't worried...I'm gonna try not to either. It was
funny...the other day...we were eagerly anticipating a poop...and he
FINALLY went (this was Thursday morning...and was his last poop,
too)..and Tim called and left me a message on my cell phone all
excited..."DUDLEY POOPED!" (dudley is another name that we more commonly
use around the house...or duds...or mr. duds...etc...anyway...) We felt
so silly calling eachother to celebrate over a poop.

He really should have plenty of food accumulated, IMO. He has been
eating the new prescription food as well as baby food and cooked
chicken. So, there should be plenty of bowel action. C'MON JASPER DUDS!

Pam
Old February 26th 05, 08:30 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"kitkat" wrote in message
Cathy Friedmann wrote:

[...]

Better on your cell phone, than e-mailing the message to school. *If* the
admin. decided to read teachers' e-mails... well, heh. ;-)

Cathy

Old February 28th 05, 02:54 AM
Mike Z. Helm

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 05:42:33 GMT, kitkat

Cats understand well-controlled force. I can see it in the
interaction between my two cats. They are rougher on each other than
I am (ideally) on them. I even take how they feel into
consideration. Have you ever noticed a cat being upset after you
discipline it? One time I forced my cat out of the area. It walked
into the other room, passing under a chair, and swiped at a cloth
hanging down from the seat as if to angrily say "get out of my
way!".

When I say "NO!" to Luna...the look on her face is priceless. Jasper
cant see or hear me, so I can't really "discipline" him...and really
have no need to.

Mine definitely understands "NO" - she ignores it about 25% of the time
though. Another 50% she merely looks up as if to say "Oh yeah? What
are you gonna do about it?" and then goes back to doing whatever it was
she shouldn't be doing. The other 25% of the time, it actually works.