How to (not?) wash a cat

Old May 28th 05, 06:52 PM
223rem

Default How to (not?) wash a cat

I have 2 6month-old kittens, male (whole) and
female (fixed). I just gave them a bath because
they both stank. The female was more or less ok
with it but the male struggled desperately to get
out of the sink so I had to give up on him
half-way through and he's scared ****less now.
What I did was fill the sink with warm water and
a little shampoo, dip them in, and then rinse them
with warm water.

Is this the right procedure?
Was it a mistake to force them to take a bath?
Thanks for your input
Old May 28th 05, 07:03 PM

Most cats (apart from Turkish van cat)
think thats the one, dont like water. I
have only bathed mine once ever, and
that was when he got oil on him, and
then I only filled the sink an inch or two deep. My back was full of
scratches, he hated it, but it was an emergency because the oil was
worse for him.

Chris

Old May 28th 05, 07:45 PM
Elle

Next time a bath is absolutely necessary, you might try washing them down
with a wet paper towel, then using a pet 'Handy Wipe,' available at places
like PetsMart. They're scented, pretty effective, and safe for cats. Of
course the cat is less traumatized, too, by being wiped down as opposed to
being set into a basin of water.

I only bathe a cat if (a) s/he's new from the shelter and smells bad; (b)
had fleas (then I use a flea shampoo); or (c) gets into something really
malodorous.

"223rem" wrote

Old May 28th 05, 08:47 PM

Elle wrote:
Next time a bath is absolutely necessary, you might try washing them down
with a wet paper towel, then using a pet 'Handy Wipe,' available at places
like PetsMart. They're scented, pretty effective, and safe for cats. Of
course the cat is less traumatized, too, by being wiped down as opposed to
being set into a basin of water.

I only bathe a cat if (a) s/he's new from the shelter and smells bad; (b)
had fleas (then I use a flea shampoo); or (c) gets into something really
malodorous.

We used to bath cats a couple times a year, and my first cat was really
difficult. This very mild cat would turn into the attack cat from hell
if you took her into the bathroom with a partially filled sink. She
would scream and bite before you even got her wet. We would actually
hold her on the counter next to the sink and use a towel on her. Still
took 3 people.

I've been much luckier since. Kira has only been bathed twice in almost
11 years. Both times, she got into something dirty and needed it
removed. But she was really great. She clawed at the fixtures, but
retracted her claws when it came to me. And I found that if I held my
left arm out, she would hold onto my arm and calmly "stand" in the
sink. I could use my right hand to do the whole bath. I was really
surprised at her gentleness with me, and how fast we were able to get
her done and dry.

Maynard was a bit harder, but not because of fighting. He was
waterproof. You could dunk him in the sink, and his skin would still be
dry. I had to put the soap on first before the water would get anywhere
near his skin. I only had to do him a few times in 19 years, and he was
pretty good too. He would play in the sink, so unless you got water on
his head, he didn't mind too much. And I do their heads with a
washcloth anyway.

I haven't tried Chase yet - no reason to in 4 1/2 years. And I've only
had Jay Jay for a few months. I think he will be more difficult. He bit
me when I took a washcloth to his rear when he had diarhea. I had the
vet shave the area for me, and they said he wasn't too happy. But I did
prevent more nasties as he got over the diet change. So, it was better
for both of us. And I have a package of the pet wipes to try first next
time.

Old May 28th 05, 08:48 PM
Philip

223rem wrote:
I have 2 6month-old kittens, male (whole) and
female (fixed). I just gave them a bath because
they both stank. The female was more or less ok
with it but the male struggled desperately to get
out of the sink so I had to give up on him
half-way through and he's scared ****less now.
What I did was fill the sink with warm water and
a little shampoo, dip them in, and then rinse them
with warm water.

Is this the right procedure?
Was it a mistake to force them to take a bath?
Thanks for your input

Elle posted a good method of introducing cats to the bath concept. Soak a
bath towel in water and get the cat thoroughly wet. There will be
resistance but less than dipping or dunking. Funny how cats resign
themselves (relatively speaking) to further bathing once they realize they
are soaked to the skin. Anyway, just do plain warm water towel baths until
you sense the cat offering less resistance to the whole process. This may be
months. Be patient and always stay out of claws reach.

Old May 28th 05, 08:52 PM
bigbadbarry

223rem wrote:
I have 2 6month-old kittens, male (whole) and
female (fixed). I just gave them a bath because
they both stank. The female was more or less ok
with it but the male struggled desperately to get
out of the sink so I had to give up on him
half-way through and he's scared ****less now.
What I did was fill the sink with warm water and
a little shampoo, dip them in, and then rinse them
with warm water.

Is this the right procedure?
Was it a mistake to force them to take a bath?
Thanks for your input

Nah, you did fine. The Tom cat I have now, He's a big ol cat and I've
bathed him twice. The Tom before him...I actually used the shower on
him. I'd pick him up, put him on my chest...shampoo...and rinse...real
simple...he loved it.
Cried a little...but after they are all wet..they give in.

You male cat is just scared your gonna drown him. He'll be ok.
Best to try and let him stand up...but still keep him in check or he'll
be under a bed somewhere. lol. If you have a tub...maybe put couple
inches of water in the tub...they won't feel so confined in a basin of
water. (less fear)

Old May 28th 05, 09:22 PM
Mary

"bigbadbarry" wrote in message
oups.com...

223rem wrote:
[...]

When I have to bathe my little funk muffins (!) I put a thick old towel in
the bottom of the tub, then run about three inches of lukewarm water in
there and stop it up. Meanwhile, I have filled several lightweight pitchers
with
the same lukewarm water and put the cat shampoo where I can easily reach it,
put old towels down on the floor and two on the closed toilet seat so I can
reach them and towel her off without taking my hand off the cat. Once
everthing is ready, I get the cat and stand her up in there, lay her down
briefly to get her underside wet if I can and lather her up from the ears
back only. Meanwhile, if it is Cheeks she is attempting to climb out finding
purchase where she can, usually in my back if she can reach over my shoulder
and get it. You are absolutely right, they think you are going to drown
them. (This is the only time Cheeky puts her claws out.) Lather thoroughly,
use the pitchers to rinse because running water scares them even more, then
onto the towels on the floor and dry with the towels on the toilet. I use
two changes of towels to blot them, as once I let go I will not see the cat
for a while.

Note: my cats do not bite, and they do not try to hurt me. If yours do, the
above will not work!

Old May 28th 05, 09:46 PM
Joe Canuck

223rem wrote:

I have 2 6month-old kittens, male (whole) and
female (fixed). I just gave them a bath because
they both stank. The female was more or less ok
with it but the male struggled desperately to get
out of the sink so I had to give up on him
half-way through and he's scared ****less now.
What I did was fill the sink with warm water and
a little shampoo, dip them in, and then rinse them
with warm water.

Is this the right procedure?
Was it a mistake to force them to take a bath?
Thanks for your input

Unfortunately, dipping is good for chicken nuggets but not for cat bathing.

Start the bath by given them a good combing to remove the loose hair.

Then give them a thorough rinsing with warm water, followed by a
lathering up with a diluted solution of Dawn dishwashing soap and water.
When lathering try to avoid going against the grain of the fur.

Thoroughly rinse that out.

Then use a good animal shampoo such as "Mane 'n Coat" which is also
diluted with water. Lather that up, once again trying to avoid going
against the grain of the fur, and rinse.

If they are really stinky and dirty, they may require a third shampooing
with the "Mane 'n Coat".

Old May 28th 05, 09:53 PM
Joe Canuck

223rem wrote:

[...]

Argh!

Look, we really don't want to hear about your personal hygiene routine
in here... please!

This is a family group!

Buzz off!

Old May 28th 05, 10:04 PM
Mary

223rem wrote:

[...]

And I have TWO. And they get really, really
fonkeeeeeeee!