Visitor cat

Old December 27th 05, 02:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Visitor cat

There has been a black tom cat visiting my garden for three or four years,
at one time he ran away if he even saw me looking at him out of the window.
About three months ago I realised he was sleeping in my summer house, the
window had bee left open, so I started putting some food down for him. He
was still very wary of me, instead of running he walked away when I
approached, later he didn't leave until I opened the door. This morning we
made another step forward, he stayed in his bed when I filled his dish, even
though he was watching me like a hawk.

With luck, in a few more weeks he may allow me to touch him. The next step
after that will be a visit to TED for the snip. I'm not going to rush things
though, I'd rather he had a safe dry bed through the winter, I don't want to
frighten him away.

Bagheera is sleeping comfortably on his cushion by my chair, I've just
uploaded a picture of him.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...29670006ZGmmdw
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old December 27th 05, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Yeah, it might be best if you waited until spring before trying to catch him
to get him to the vet. I tried too hard to catch "Little Gray Cat" here and
I frightened her off for good instead.

Bless you for taking care of the little waif!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 27th 05, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
There has been a black tom cat visiting my garden for three or four years,
at one time he ran away if he even saw me looking at him out of the
window.
About three months ago I realised he was sleeping in my summer house, the
window had bee left open, so I started putting some food down for him. He
was still very wary of me, instead of running he walked away when I
approached, later he didn't leave until I opened the door. This morning we
made another step forward, he stayed in his bed when I filled his dish,
even
though he was watching me like a hawk.

This was like what happened with Boyfie, although he wasn't out as long as
that. First he slept in the conservatory but ran away as soon as I opened
the back door for weeks.. Then I put food out for him, but he wouldn't come
near it if I was anywhere in sight, even looking through the window. It
took ages. He was so scared.
I gradually moved the food nearer and then inside the house and he would
only come and eat it if I stayed a room away. Then I stood in the kitchen
for a few days, keeping absolutely still while he ate.

With luck, in a few more weeks he may allow me to touch him.

With luck, he will in the end.

The next step
after that will be a visit to TED for the snip.

That's what I did but it was ages after Boyfie was brave enough to finally
come into the house. I thought I must not grab him and take him for the
snip the second he allowed me to get hold of him or he would never trust me
again, and I'm sure he wouldn't have and would have run off again from here,
his onetruehome.

I'm not going to rush things
though, I'd rather he had a safe dry bed through the winter, I don't want
frighten him away.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey. Leave him for now, just feed him and see
how the relationship develops over time. If you catch him too early in this
relationship and have him neutered, he will run away when you bring him
back.

Tweed

Old December 27th 05, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2005-12-27 08:57:46 -0600, "Adrian" said:

[...]

I'm glad your visitor has a nice place to sleep and food. Hopefully
there will be no need to get him to the vet before you are able to
touch him. Baggy looks sooooo comfy!

Old December 27th 05, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 15:27:00 -0000, "Christina Websell"
yodeled:

"Adrian" wrote in message
news:VLqdnfbZOejsyyzenZ2dnUVZ8qudnZ2d@brightview. com...
[...]

I have to second you on this. A do-gooder cousin of mine, Marie,
snatched up a regular visitor cat, had him snipped, and deposited him
on an aunt of mine who had recently lost a furry master. The cat,
Francis, was so thoroughly traumatized by this insensitive handling
that he retired to the laundry room, and would not come out from
behind the washing machine. He also tried to hide himself behind a
hot water pipe, and got a bad burn, after which his health went
abruptly downhill and he could not be saved. It was a very rough
experience for all concerned.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old December 27th 05, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Thank you so much for taking such good care of the black cat. I agree
with you, it is much better to take it slowly.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Old December 28th 05, 07:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Adrian wrote:

With luck, in a few more weeks he may allow me to touch him. The next step
after that will be a visit to TED for the snip. I'm not going to rush things
though, I'd rather he had a safe dry bed through the winter, I don't want to
frighten him away.

Purrs for your black friend and the snip.

Bagheera is sleeping comfortably on his cushion by my chair, I've just
uploaded a picture of him.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...29670006ZGmmdw

Aww, looks like he wuvs his pillow.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old December 28th 05, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
There has been a black tom cat visiting my garden for three or four years,
at one time he ran away if he even saw me looking at him out of the
window.
About three months ago I realised he was sleeping in my summer house, the
window had bee left open, so I started putting some food down for him. He
was still very wary of me, instead of running he walked away when I
approached, later he didn't leave until I opened the door. This morning we
made another step forward, he stayed in his bed when I filled his dish,
even
though he was watching me like a hawk.

You've made a lot of progress, Adrian. Good luck in getting him even more
relaxed with you and then getting him to TED. Do your owners have an
opinion about him? What do you call him, other than Black Tom?

Pam S. smiling

Old December 29th 05, 10:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pamela Shirk wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
There has been a black tom cat visiting my garden for three or four
years, at one time he ran away if he even saw me looking at him out
of the window.
About three months ago I realised he was sleeping in my summer
house, the window had bee left open, so I started putting some food
down for him. He was still very wary of me, instead of running he
walked away when I approached, later he didn't leave until I opened
the door. This morning we made another step forward, he stayed in
his bed when I filled his dish, even
though he was watching me like a hawk.

You've made a lot of progress, Adrian. Good luck in getting him even
more relaxed with you and then getting him to TED. Do your owners
have an opinion about him? What do you call him, other than Black
Tom?

Pam S. smiling

I think I'll probably call him, Shadow, as he likes to hide in the shadows.
Snoopy hates all other cats, she'd much rather be an only cat. Baggy wants
to be friends with everyone so I'm sure he wouldn't mind. Baggy and Shadow
have met outside without any hissing.