Oh Baby, It's Cold Outside (and in) and a rant

Old October 24th 09, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default Oh Baby, It's Cold Outside (and in) and a rant

We experienced temps in the 30s F here in North Carolina last week. This
was very uncomfortable for us all as the heater is based under the house and
none of us were able to go under to make sure the pilot light was on. So we
got cold. I got up in the middle of the night to shiver my way to the
bathroom and realized that there were five cats on the bed. Everyone except
for Sonya and Miss Calico Girl were snuggled up. Tanada, QC, and Merlin
were lined up down the middle of the bed between the lumps that were Rob and
myself. Huey was tucked between Rob's ankles and Pine Cone was snugged
between my bottom and the edge of the bed. I found it amazing that we could
fit that many of us on a Queen bed.

A couple of days later, Rob and I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a cheap
space heater. Later, of course, I had to get up to use the bathroom. I
noticed that everyone except Huey was on the bed. Huey was stretched out at
an angle to the heater, exposing his beautiful sausage belly to the warm.
His tail was straight out and his front paws were crossed under him. His
back paws were contracting and expanding in a sensual rhythm and an obvious
smile, punctuated by snores that lifted his upper lip stretched across his
muzzle. I almost wet myself while staring fascinated at my Hoodyman.

QC and Tanada are having a problem agreeing which of the two had baking
rights between Rob's and my pillow. Tanada doesn't seem to mind my snores
and bed breath too much and QC is much warmer and thinks that Rob and I need
furry puddy paws massaging one of our backs. We try not to weigh in on the
debate. The rest of the gang don't seem to worry about it either.

I caught Sonya and Huey taking over the bed the other day. Sonya jumped on
the bed and sidled up to Huey. He wrestled her down to the bed and cleaned
her tummy while she bunny kicked him. Of course I found it very amusing and
made the mistake of giggling. Instant grooming broke out.

I've been down with sinus infections from our weather. It has generally
been raining just enough to trigger mold growth. I've become a devotee of
Advil and Afrin. They both seem to work as a rule. I also have some stuff
that helps with the ear aches I get. Not good.

Rob is gradually getting weaker. A few weeks ago he was able to jump out of
his chair and walk off. Now it takes more effort. He is having a harder
time with his bodily functions than before and is less able to articulate
what he wants to say. I seem to get used to one level of Rob's condition
only to find that he has slipped into a different, and usually, lower level
of ability.

We had some hope that he would receive his army retirement pay, but the
congress critters don't think he and the others with 100% disability and
fewer than 20 years in the army deserve their pay. The bill that would give
me both survivor benefits through the army (1700+/month) and his VA
(1200/month) has, again, been voted in and not funded. So, no money there.
There is rumors of a caretaker's compensation bill that would give me $2000+
a month to compensate for not being able to work and for the VA not having
to pay someone to take care of Rob 24/7 but, given our lawmakers' respect
for our military wounded and their families, I don't believe it. I am
fighting depression over making ends meet as well as over Rob and his
medical status and needs.

Sorry, I should remove the above, as I have so many times before, but today
I can't. I think I'm finally facing the fact that I've not only lost the
man I married, but am losing the one he has become. Every time some idiot
claims that Iraq didn't have weapons of mass destruction I want to scream.
Rob is only one of the masses destroyed by Iraq and its sarin and
cyclo-sarin gases.

On the up side, Speedy has taken up indoor foraging for human sustenance.
Today he stole two corn dogs off Rob's plate while I was letting Rob know
that his food was ready. He also specializes in sandwiches, spaghetti, and
pot roast.

Pam S.

Old October 24th 09, 04:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...
[...]

It makes my blood boil that things like disability get the political
treatment instead of the respect they deserve. We had a friend who
managed to get 100% disability because he had asthma, and had served
in North Africa where they had sand storms! Granted he was able to
get his twenty years in, but lets face it, if he had been more
severely disabled he couldn't have. It made his retirement tax
free. He even admitted it was more a matter of who he knew than
anything else.

On the subject of cold cats, a few nights ago I woke up and looked
over the see that Jake had crawled part way inside Charlie's pillow
case. I guess between our pillows wasn't warm enough!

Jo

Old October 24th 09, 08:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Purrs and hugs.

--

Joy

There is something about the presence of a cat... that seems to take the
bite out of being alone. - Louis J. Camuti

Old October 24th 09, 09:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

[...]

Mega purrs on the way. Can't the utility company check/light the pilot
light? I thought most of them offered this service, mostly for safety
reasons?

As for the non-acts of congress, I truly don't understand those people.
Apparently none of them has ever had to care for an ailing loved one, much
less one who served our country (for any length of time). It ticks me off.
I surely hope they get off their duffs and take some positive action soon.
I'm so sick of hearing about companies that grossly mismanaged their own
business being bailed out but no breaks for the people who truly deserve
assistance. {{{{{{{{{{{{Pam}}}}}}}}}

Jill

Old October 24th 09, 10:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

[...]

Can't offer much more than hugs and purrs, Pam, but I give those to you in
abundance.

~~~~~{{{{{Pam}}}}}~~~~~
~~~~~{{{{{Rob}}}}}~~~~~

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old October 24th 09, 11:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

tanadashoes wrote:
[...]

{{{{{{{{{{{{ Pam }}}}}}}}}}}}
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old October 24th 09, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

tanadashoes wrote:
[...]

Sending many purrs for you and yours. MLB
Old October 24th 09, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Oct 23, 10:47*pm, "tanadashoes" wrote:

You guys are always in our thoughts. Purrs for a door into summer. I
need one myownself.

--
Will in New Haven

Old October 24th 09, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Oct 23, 8:47*pm, "tanadashoes" wrote:
gentle snip

We had some hope that he would receive his army retirement pay, but the
congress critters don't think he and the others with 100% disability and
fewer than 20 years in the army deserve their pay. *The bill that would give
me both survivor benefits through the army (1700+/month) and his VA
(1200/month) has, again, been voted in and not funded. *So, no money there.
There is rumors of a caretaker's compensation bill that would give me $2000+
a month to compensate for not being able to work and for the VA not having
to pay someone to take care of Rob 24/7 but, given our lawmakers' respect
for our military wounded and their families, I don't believe it. *I am
fighting depression over making ends meet as well as over Rob and his
medical status and needs.

gentler snip

Questions... Rob is receiving $1200 a month through the VA now? Why
is his disability payment so low? According to VA information, that's
only payment for 70% disability.

Was he an officer that 55% of his retirement would be $1700 (Survivor
Benefits are only up to 55% of the retiree's benefits to a spouse or
child)?

How long was he in the service? Was his tumor discovered after he
joined the military? He didn't have issues before the military?

I used to work for the VA, and may still have a contact or two, that I
can chat with.

Not just the sarins, but "Gulf War Syndrome" (which infuriates me,
btw). Apparently, they still don't *know* what all was there in the
early 90s.

Smokie Darling (Annie)

You may write to me at shelby0296 (at) yahoo (dot) com, if you would
like to.
Old October 25th 09, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in message
[...]

***********************
Rob is 100% disabled for both VA and Army benefits. His ARMY retirement is
supposed to be around $1700+. Because he only had 19 years, 9 months and
17 days in the military, he doesn't qualify for what used to be known as
concurrent receipt and doesn't receive his army retirement pay as a result.
The story of how we finally got his full VA benefits would fill a book.

Rob was exposed to Sarin and Cyclo-sarin gases as well as oil well fires
during medivac missions during Desert Storm. We received letters about his
exposure and possible brain tumors as a result until I called the VA number
they had on the letter and told them that Rob has brain cancer. The VA
worker hung up on me. His tumor was discovered over a year before he would
have retired from the army. He has also displayed symptoms of what is
called Gulf War Syndrome, but is now attributed to his brain cancer.

Most of the VA people we've had to deal with claim that Rob's brain cancer
is very rare, but I've talked with a person who used to volunteer at the
cancer ward at the local VA hospital and she told me that there are a lot of
vets from Desert Storm with brain cancer up there. I tend to think of
troops being exposed to Sarin and Cyclo-sarin exposure as the Agent Orange
of Desert Storm. I still get mad as vets are getting the same garbage as
those who were exposed to Agent Orange received. However, fewer of them
will survive long enough to challenge the VA and their ratings.

Pam S. disgusted (still) by the VA

Cheap Baby-G Watches Tanning Timer Watches - Baby-G Watches TanningTimer Watch Cheapest [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 April 28th 08 04:09 AM
OT Ok I am annoyed RANT RANT RANT Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \) Cat anecdotes 7 March 30th 06 12:13 AM
[OT] Rant CatNipped Cat anecdotes 15 January 6th 06 12:36 AM
(OT) Rant!!!! Pat Cat anecdotes 15 September 21st 05 04:07 AM
Baby, baby don't get hooked on me Ginger-lyn Summer Cat anecdotes 20 April 9th 04 07:06 PM