does anyone have a cat with a chipped tooth

Old September 13th 03, 11:47 PM
AMc in CA

Kuisse0002 wrote:

Thank you for all the responses. Some say get it removed,
some say let it be. I have decided to let it be only because
the Vet had a good look and said let it be, most responses
suggested letting it be and finally its not hurting or
affecting her and so I will let it alone. But the minute
thre's a problem in her mouth/eating - its coming out.

My Tigger had a cavity on one of his upper fangs a year ago. The vet said take
it out. They tried, & broke the tooth off where the cavity was. The tooth
itself was too firmly rooted for the regular vet to remove, so he stitched the
gum back up & told me to take him to a kitty dentist in a couple of weeks.
Since he (at age 16 1/2) had a reaction to the ketamine they give before the
gas -- they can do without it, so I've been told since), I've been leery of
messing with what's not otherwise a problem. I never did get it removed. The
vet (same clinic, different person) looked at it yesterday & said it looked
fine; leave it alone. So, like others have done, I'll continue to leave it
alone until (if/when) it becomes a problem.

What I wonder is why they couldn't have just filled the tip & smoothed any
rough edges.

Alicia --- waiting for the lab reports to come back from yesterday's vet
visit
Old September 14th 03, 04:40 AM
Kuisse0002

Kuisse0002 wrote:

Thank you for all the responses. Some say get it removed,
some say let it be. I have decided to let it be only because
the Vet had a good look and said let it be, most responses
suggested letting it be and finally its not hurting or
affecting her and so I will let it alone. But the minute
thre's a problem in her mouth/eating - its coming out.

My Tigger had a cavity on one of his upper fangs a year ago. The vet said
take
it out. They tried, & broke the tooth off where the cavity was. The tooth
itself was too firmly rooted for the regular vet to remove, so he stitched
the
gum back up & told me to take him to a kitty dentist in a couple of weeks.

First the tooth broke off then they stitched it up - the important point here
is what about the nerve endings of the tooth. That is the most dangerous region
- how would they know if the nerves have not been affected.

Pls keep us informed of your pet's progress and developments.