Toad Suck

Old July 7th 04, 12:52 AM
Yowie

wrote in message
Sherry wrote:

Toad Suck! Toad Suck! bowing in worship

That's it. It's a sign. We have to go now. Be sure to tell your family
and friends its a "pilgrimage" though. Make it sound very mysterious

and
maybe even deeply religious. That way they won't just think you're a
fruit loop.

I don't think anything with the word "suck" in it could be made to sound
religious. (Though I guess it depends on the religion...)

I dunno, one of the Holy Bowl's prime objectives is to suck :-)

Yowie

Old July 7th 04, 02:08 AM
Annie Wxill

"Sherry " wrote in message
That's it. It's a sign. We have to go now. Be sure to tell your family and
friends its a "pilgrimage" though. Make it sound very mysterious and maybe

even
deeply religious. That way they won't just think you're a fruit loop.
Sherry

Too late. They already know I'm a fruit loop.
Daughter Christine (of barn kittens fame) warned me of the dangers of
meeting people from the Internet when I accepted JoJo's kind offer to show
us around Pittsburgh when we were there for DH's surgery in April. I think
part of the reason she joined us was to look out for her father and for me.
During the tour, JoJo's boyfriend called her cell to make sure she wasn't in
any danger from the cat group crazies she was driving around town.
We may be loopy, but we're not dangerous.
Annie, who thinks it's kind of cute when her kids have to put up with a few
shenanigans

Old July 7th 04, 02:22 AM
Annie Wxill

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
My grandsons' other grandparents live in Conway. There was a summer maybe
10 years ago the kids were wearing Toad Suck festival t-shirts most of the
summer.
Thanks for the info.
Jo

Glad to be of service. Just what does a Toad Suck festival t-shirt look
like?
Annie

Old July 7th 04, 03:03 AM
Jeanne Hedge

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 15:32:01 -0500, "Annie Wxill"
wrote:

Hi group,
We are back from Dallas, and I see that you've been your usual chatty
selves.
Purrs, hugs, skritches and prayers for all in need.
While in Dallas, I met a woman from Arkansas. I asked her if she knew
anything about Toad Suck and she said she lived in Conway, home of the Toad
Suck Festival.

I just googled "Toad Suck", and the first entry returned was for
http://www.toadsuck.org --- homepage for Toad Suck Daze festival

Here's where you can see (and order) an official Toad Suck Daze
festival t-shirt (for charity): http://www.toadsuck.org/tshirt.html

And here's "The Legend of Toad Suck":

What the HECK does Toad Suck Mean?

Well, The answer is quite Simple ...

Long ago, steamboats traveled the Arkansas River when the water was at
the right depth. When it wasn't, the captains and their crew tied up
to wait where the Toad Suck Lock and Dam now spans the river.

While they waited, they refreshed themselves at the local tavern
there, to the dismay of the folks living nearby, who said: "They suck
on the bottle 'til they swell up like toads." Hence, the name Toad
Suck. The tavern is long gone, but the legend and fun live on at Toad
Suck Daze.

(http://www.toadsuck.org/legend.html)

She's also a cat slave and her owners are rescues.
I told her about RPCA and possible plans for a gathering next year, and she
said the campground there was named Toad Suck.
I gave her the RPCA newsgroup name and she said she might drop in here.

There's some information about camping he

http://www.swl.usace.army.mil/parks/...k/camping.html

According to that information, there appears to be 6 campgrounds in
the area, varying in charges and facilities (some have flush toilets
and showers, some have no facilities at all)

For those who might be interested in attending the RPCA Toad Suck
Follies but have an aversion to chiggers g and aren't crazy about
camping, there also appears to be several major hotels/motels in the
Toad Suck (Conway, Arkansas) area.