Poor Sammy!!! Long

Old September 18th 04, 04:57 PM
Adrian

CatNipped wrote:
5-month-old Sammy, along with my three adult cats (Bandit, 14, Demi,
6, and Jessie, 5) is cooped up in my bedroom while my mother-in-law
is still here with her 3 dogs (2 large, one small) and one neutered
male cat.

The male cat is being kept shut up in an upstairs bedroom, and isn't
really a problem (he's gorgeous - a polydactyl, all black, short-
haired, and sweet as can be. [Side note: my MIL had him declawed
and he stays mostly outside when they're home : ! *WHY* do people
like that even get cats!??! - AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!]

The dogs, however, are not trained, have the run of the house (my MIL
wouldn't dream of locking up her babies), bark constantly, pee all
over the place (my MIL won't even clean it up - I have to), and the
largest one even managed to get in my bedroom (following behind my
MIL) and started to attack Bandit (well, you know Bandit, she laid
there with a "bring it on, sucker" look on her face, hissing and
spitting, so it didn't bother her, but it scared the heck out of the
other three).

All my cats are on edge because of this, and Sammy is... well, Sammy.
She has all that excess kitten energy and no place to go with it, and
she tries to get the other cats to play with her. They're having
none of it and are getting really tired of her antics.

When I got in bed tonight I noticed an apple-sized spot of watery
blood on my sheet next to my pillow. I immediately panicked and
grabbed up each cat one by one to do a head to toe, microscopic
examination to see who had been bleeding (because of the above I
thought maybe MIL had been careless and let one of her dogs in my
bedroom while I was at work today).

I got to Sammy last (and got several scratches and a few bites while
she squirmed around in my hands as I was trying to hold her still so
I could examine her) and I noticed a small scab right on the tip of
her nose, a bit inside and a bit outside the nostril.

What I figured happened is... One of my adult cats lost patience
with her and swatted her nose, giving her a good scratch in the
process. She immediately went to Mommy's spot on the bed and started
sucking her toe to comfort herself (which was why the spot of blood
was so watery - kitten slobber mixed in with the blood from the
scratch on her nose).

I felt so bad for her I immediate picked her up to hug and scritch
her, and, of course, she bit *my* nose in the process!!!

Sorry for the vent, but as much as I love my MIL (she really is
sweet, but I know where my DH gets his ergonomically challenged
nature from), I am *SO* tired of her animals, and I am *THIS* far
from telling her off (I am really, really angry about what she
did/does to her beautiful little boy cat!!!).

Thanks for giving me a place to gripe - I didn't want to hit my
husband with all this, it is his mother, after all.

Hugs,

{{{{{{{{{{CatNipped}}}}}}}}}}}} Poor Sammy. You must have the patience
of a saint.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old September 18th 04, 05:21 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 08:58:11 -0600, "Christine Burel"
wrote:

Oh, Catnipped! I'm just now catching up on the week's threads -- I couldn't
do what you're doing without saying something I think but if ever this
situation shows up again I'd set the house rules straight beforehand and put
it in a way so your husband will buy into it. Meanwhile I'd tell your DH
that he needs to help his mom decide whether Monday or Tuesday is when she's
leaving and I'd also tell him that you're going to schedule a professional
carpet cleaning job for early next week. I'd also consider getting some dog
tiedowns for the backyard and let them be outside and get some fresh air
(and you, too!) -- you can get them at Home Depot for very little and it
just might help your sanity. After all, your animals need to be able to get
out of the bedroom and share living space, too. Major, major purrs for you
for the next few days. I'll certainly be thinking of you -- sorry, hope
I'm not offending you, just feel like venting on your behalf!

Still purring for Sammy's sore nose! I hadn't thought of carpet
cleaning until I read Christine's post, but agree it'd probably be
best, so that the kitties won't be tempted to cover the scent with a
little of their own. Once the bill comes you can present it to DH to
be paid out of his walking-around money - or presented to his Mom as
he wishes. Just a thought, I don't know the personalities involved, so
this may not be such a good idea.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Old September 18th 04, 05:35 PM
Victor Martinez

CatNipped wrote:
doesn't even see as faults. You would not believe the "training" it took,
over the 20 years we've been together, to teach him how to live in a clean
(but often messy) environment (he still has a blind spot when it comes to
dirt!! ;).

Tom's given up trying to train me... He was (and kinda still is) a
clean-freak when we met. I'm happy with a little bit of mess. It used to
drive him crazy, but he's getting used to it...

A good night's sleep has restored my energy, my patience, and my
perspective, so I'll carry on another day. Thank you for being my shoulder
to cry on!

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. I'm sorry if I sounded preachy,
but I care about you and I get protective of folks I care about...

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old September 18th 04, 07:44 PM
CatNipped

"Christine Burel" wrote in message
Oh, Catnipped! I'm just now catching up on the week's threads -- I

couldn't
do what you're doing without saying something I think but if ever this
situation shows up again I'd set the house rules straight beforehand and

put
it in a way so your husband will buy into it.

Yeah, I should, but I really am a push-over! ;

Meanwhile I'd tell your DH
that he needs to help his mom decide whether Monday or Tuesday is when

she's
leaving and I'd also tell him that you're going to schedule a professional
carpet cleaning job for early next week.

Well, we were talking about pulling up all the old carpet (as I wrote in a
flooring. I'll probably use this as a prod to get DH going on that project.

I'd also consider getting some dog
tiedowns for the backyard and let them be outside and get some fresh air
(and you, too!) -- you can get them at Home Depot for very little and it
just might help your sanity. After all, your animals need to be able to

get
out of the bedroom and share living space, too.

Actually we have a *huge* back yard with an 8 foot fence - but her "babies"
won't stay out there by themselves!!

Here are some pictures of MIL, the d*gs, Siskel (two thumbs up!!) the
polydactyl cat, and from our visit to the Mercer Arboretum about 1 mile from
where we live. http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/MIL/

Major, major purrs for you
for the next few days. I'll certainly be thinking of you -- sorry, hope
I'm not offending you, just feel like venting on your behalf!

Not at all!!!! I appreciate your thinking of me and thank you for the
purrs.

Christine

Hugs,

CatNipped