Please let me properly introduce myself

Old March 4th 05, 02:10 AM
Enfilade

Know what's awesome? Rouladen. It's a slice of beef, put mustard on
it, wrap it around a pickle, smother in gravy, cook. MMMmmmm

Growing up I had garlic fry sausage twice a week...hm. The
aforementioned pork and kraut, sausages in buns, potatos at EVERY
meal, fleishsalad (a cold meat salad), liverwurst on toast for
breakfast...Mmmm.

--Fil
Old March 4th 05, 03:38 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-04, Enfilade penned:
Know what's awesome? Rouladen. It's a slice of beef, put mustard on it,
wrap it around a pickle, smother in gravy, cook. MMMmmmm

I don't know about the pickle part, but mom makes those and I had them last
weekend while visiting family =)

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 4th 05, 05:08 PM
Mary

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
Mary wrote:

Ihave never been to England but I sure would like to go.
I imagine the natural temperatures there are a bit cool for
amphibians and reptiles most of the year.

It's not too bad for amphibians, (3 newt species, 2 toad sp and 1 frog
sp) although they tend to semi-hibernate over the winter, they are
fairly common. We have 6 reptile species but they are much rarer and
only really seen in the warmer parts of the country. I would guess the
temps (and geographical isolation) have reduced the diversity of these
creatures compared to the USA or wamer places.

Sadly, the diversity has been reduced by pollution and overpopulation
in some areas. What part of England are you in? (Sorry if I missed it,
this is a busy group!) I was born in London but my parents moved
to the US (California) when I was six months old.

Sounds like a good Dad :-)
Lizards are great, in fact I think all reptiles look so wise. Even my
baby torts, just 6 months old, look like they've got the wisdom of the
ages in their little heads :-)

I had an iguana who lived to be maybe three feet long, and an African
Chameleon with horns and turreted eyes for a while! They died and
I was so upset I never got any more.

BTW, here's what a slow-worm is like:
http://tinyurl.com/3r29a

Very neat! And he is a reptile? Legless?

Old March 4th 05, 05:09 PM
Mary

"HRFLTiger" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary wrote:
What a wonderful story, Helen. You reinforce my feeling that I need

to get over my selfish concerns and learn to let go enough to foster.
It is a matter of seeing the "big picture," I think. Do you have

other
kitties now?///

Living with me, I have a very self opinionated one-eyed black cat
called "His Royal Feline Lordship Tiger" who I've had since he was 3-4
weeks old and is now 6 1/2, then there's the love of his life, Pandora,
a 4 year old tabby and white ex-feral who I got when she was 4 months
old. She arrived 3 days after Sir William went to rainbow bridge and I
"was NEVER having another cat..." had Sir William not gone, I would
never have kept her....and finally I've just adopted Cleo, a 2 year old
black and white girl cat who was taken to the vet to be PTS by her
owners because she was an "inconvienience".

Then there's Robbie, a little 9 year old ginger lad who used to have me
as a slave, but decided that my father made a better slave and so
stayed with him in the USA, and finally Thomasina, a 9 year old black
and white girly that I got as a tiny feral kitten when we saw her being
thrown onto railway tracks into the path of an oncoming train.

Yup, I have owners ;o)

Five cats! Sounds like a wonderful family you have there.

Old March 5th 05, 02:53 PM
Debbie Wilson

Mary wrote:

Sadly, the diversity has been reduced by pollution and overpopulation
in some areas. What part of England are you in? (Sorry if I missed it,
this is a busy group!) I was born in London but my parents moved
to the US (California) when I was six months old.

How interesting! I live in Coulsdon which is on the very edge of outer
South London (borough of Croydon). It's about 9 miles due north of
Gatwick Airport, if you happen to have a UK map handy. Where were you
born? Sounds like the reverse of me - I was born in Philadelphia, but we
moved to the UK when I was 4 1/2. (parents are British)

I had an iguana who lived to be maybe three feet long, and an African
Chameleon with horns and turreted eyes for a while! They died and
I was so upset I never got any more.

Ahhh, sorry to hear that.... both are beautful creatures, though.

Very neat! And he is a reptile? Legless?

Yes - frequently mistaken for a snake at first glance, but actually a
legless lizard. Very neat creatures. The cats often bring them in,
always alive, in the summer.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 5th 05, 05:22 PM
Mary

Mary wrote:

How interesting! I live in Coulsdon which is on the very edge of outer
South London (borough of Croydon). It's about 9 miles due north of
Gatwick Airport, if you happen to have a UK map handy. Where were you
born? Sounds like the reverse of me - I was born in Philadelphia, but we
moved to the UK when I was 4 1/2. (parents are British)

I don't know the specifics--my father worked for the US government
at the time and they lived in an apartment provided by the US Embassy.
We moved around a lot. Do you remember Philadelphia at all? As
American cities go it is not so different from Washington DC, which is
where I lived the longest as a child. Philadelphia is missing the huge
Federal bureaucracy (and that is a good thing!) so it is more like a
real city, IMO. There is such a huge seasonal influx of people who do not
live in DC every year, it makes it really odd. There is a nice international
population, and that is nice. I like Philadelphia. It is like Baltimore,
like
an old shoe. Huge old immigrant poplulations resulted in ethnocentric
neighborhoods--I understand this is true of London too! I like living
among people of many different backgrounds.

Very neat! And he is a reptile? Legless?

Yes - frequently mistaken for a snake at first glance, but actually a
legless lizard. Very neat creatures. The cats often bring them in,
always alive, in the summer.

Well what sweet kitties, not to kill them! I imagine they
hibernate in the winter. Are you an illustrator?

Old March 5th 05, 05:34 PM
HRFLTiger

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Ah, I remember towers like that, but I never knew exactly why they

were there.
I grew up in the Pfalz region.///

I've just got back from a conference there. Loved it. It's one of the
last strongholds for the European Wildcat.

I particularly amused by and liked the fact I had to go to Wissemberg
in France to catch a train back to Stuttgart because that was the
closest available station with the earliest train!

Helen M

Old March 5th 05, 06:06 PM
Debbie Wilson

Mary wrote:

I don't know the specifics--my father worked for the US government
at the time and they lived in an apartment provided by the US Embassy.
We moved around a lot. Do you remember Philadelphia at all? As
American cities go it is not so different from Washington DC, which is
where I lived the longest as a child. Philadelphia is missing the huge
Federal bureaucracy (and that is a good thing!) so it is more like a
real city, IMO. There is such a huge seasonal influx of people who do not
live in DC every year, it makes it really odd. There is a nice international
population, and that is nice. I like Philadelphia. It is like Baltimore,
like
an old shoe. Huge old immigrant poplulations resulted in ethnocentric
neighborhoods--I understand this is true of London too! I like living
among people of many different backgrounds.

Maybe your apartment was in central London, I would imagine a diplomat's
home would need to be quite central.
I don't have a lot of memories of Philadelphia as we left there when I
was 2 and moved to South Weymouth, Boston, where my brother was born. I
remember a few things about Boston - our apartment, the deep snow, a
trip to Stop 'n' Shop (? why do I remember that!), my nursery school, my
pal I used to play with at the time, and the inside of the plane on the
flight back to England.

My DH and I went back to Philadelphia in Nov 2003 for a few days for a
friends' wedding, and we took a train out to the place where my parents
lived at the time, a suburb called Glenolden. I wasn't sure how much it
would have changed since 1969! I had an old photo with me, and we found
the same house - the small conifer outside had become a huge tree, but
apart from that, it was the same! We took another photo :-)
We walked a lot around Philadelphia while we were there and saw the
different neighborhoods, and South Street which was good fun :-)
It did have a nice feel - the centre was very modern, shiny and big,
just like I imagine a US city to look, but the outer areas were just the
opposite, and had a lot of character and history. It was fun and really
interesting to get to know my birthplace, 32 years after I left!

London is a true melting pot of people from all over the world. Anyone
and everyone lives and does their own thing here. There are certain
parts where different cultures dominate - Brick Lane, Southall, Golders
Green, Green Lane, Brixton, Chinatown, Earl's Court - you can take a
trip around the world all in the one city. It's very busy, noisy,
crowded, and unique. I could never live in the centre, but it's nice to
be near enough to visit :-)

Well what sweet kitties, not to kill them! I imagine they
hibernate in the winter. Are you an illustrator?

Sure am :-)

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 6th 05, 12:07 AM
Mary

Mary wrote:

I don't have a lot of memories of Philadelphia as we left there when I
was 2 and moved to South Weymouth, Boston, where my brother was born. I
remember a few things about Boston - our apartment, the deep snow, a
trip to Stop 'n' Shop (? why do I remember that!), my nursery school, my
pal I used to play with at the time, and the inside of the plane on the
flight back to England.

Boston is a city I would love to go be a tourist in. It is so old!

My DH and I went back to Philadelphia in Nov 2003 for a few days for a
friends' wedding, and we took a train out to the place where my parents
lived at the time, a suburb called Glenolden. I wasn't sure how much it
would have changed since 1969! I had an old photo with me, and we found
the same house - the small conifer outside had become a huge tree, but
apart from that, it was the same! We took another photo :-)

I bet that was lots of fun. Did you find your memory being jogged?
Any feelings of "deja vu?"

We walked a lot around Philadelphia while we were there and saw the
different neighborhoods, and South Street which was good fun :-)
It did have a nice feel - the centre was very modern, shiny and big,
just like I imagine a US city to look, but the outer areas were just the
opposite, and had a lot of character and history. It was fun and really
interesting to get to know my birthplace, 32 years after I left!

These east coast cities are so shaped by the industrial revolution
and what that did to society in the 1800s. The big factories belching
smoke out, that sort of thing. It was good for many things but not
esthetics!

London is a true melting pot of people from all over the world. Anyone
and everyone lives and does their own thing here. There are certain
parts where different cultures dominate - Brick Lane, Southall, Golders
Green, Green Lane, Brixton, Chinatown, Earl's Court - you can take a
trip around the world all in the one city. It's very busy, noisy,
crowded, and unique. I could never live in the centre, but it's nice to
be near enough to visit :-)

I cannot imagine a more exciting city to live in except maybe
New York City. I love New York. And in London, I almost
speak the same language!!

Sure am :-)

I really like your work. I plan to have a better look after dinner.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 7th 05, 04:34 PM
Debbie Wilson

Mary wrote:

I bet that was lots of fun. Did you find your memory being jogged?
Any feelings of "deja vu?"

Strangely not - it felt quite unfamiliar. I guess I don't remember very
much about that area, but Boston might bring back more memories if I was
to visit.

These east coast cities are so shaped by the industrial revolution
and what that did to society in the 1800s. The big factories belching
smoke out, that sort of thing. It was good for many things but not
esthetics!

That's interesting. Sounds like a lot of big cities in the North of
England, that had their boom years in the Industrial Revolution here,
building wealth on mining and shipbuilding and manufacturing, and
suffering proportionally when these industries started to become
unprofitable in the 80s and 90s. Leaving a legacy of grand Victorian
buildings and housing, but now without the employment prospects to
support it.

I cannot imagine a more exciting city to live in except maybe
New York City. I love New York. And in London, I almost
speak the same language!!

We are looking forward to spending 10 days in NY in the autumn, visiting
friends of ours in NJ and doing the sights! :-))

I really like your work. I plan to have a better look after dinner.

Thank you! :-)

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com