Please let me properly introduce myself

Old March 7th 05, 06:08 PM
Kreisleriana

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 16:34:20 +0000, (Debbie
Wilson) yodeled:

Mary wrote:

I bet that was lots of fun. Did you find your memory being jogged?
Any feelings of "deja vu?"

Strangely not - it felt quite unfamiliar. I guess I don't remember very
much about that area, but Boston might bring back more memories if I was
to visit.

These east coast cities are so shaped by the industrial revolution
and what that did to society in the 1800s. The big factories belching
smoke out, that sort of thing. It was good for many things but not
esthetics!

That's interesting. Sounds like a lot of big cities in the North of
England, that had their boom years in the Industrial Revolution here,
building wealth on mining and shipbuilding and manufacturing, and
suffering proportionally when these industries started to become
unprofitable in the 80s and 90s. Leaving a legacy of grand Victorian
buildings and housing, but now without the employment prospects to
support it.

I cannot imagine a more exciting city to live in except maybe
New York City. I love New York. And in London, I almost
speak the same language!!

As a New Yorker, I felt so "at home" in London. It was a city I could
understand. A city with an extensive subway (Underground) system,
with a river running right through it, lots of culcha , great for
walking, history sort of simultaneously cherished and trashed in a
weird way. So crowded you could scream (I didn't like it, but I was
USED to it, and I could HANDLE it ). People speaking a gazillion
different languages, coming in a gazillion different colors. They are
both enormous cities, but they are very easy to be free in, and be
yourself in, whever you are. Maybe it is because they are so big,
and so busy-- nobody cares what you do. You can just walk around,
and take everything in.

I tend not to feel "at home" in other American cities, because once
you get away from the great old East Coast cities, life seems so
centered around the automobile. I love a city I can walk around.

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh
Old March 7th 05, 06:24 PM
Mary

"Kreisleriana" wrote

[...]

Thanks for this great account. I want to take my husband to
London just as soon as work permits. It is good to know
that those of us who are comfortable in NYC can deal with
London.

Old March 7th 05, 06:27 PM
HRFLTiger

Debbie Wilson wrote:
I found it quite a shock to encounter people who not only didn't
like cats, but actively hated them and would say so, despite knowing

how
much time you spent trying to help them. Then proceed to tell 'jokes'
about cats being harmed, etc. Deb.///

And even if they do alledgely like cats they don't care. I remember a
dinner party Deb and I were at, where the manager of an RSPCA shelter
was present. Deb and I both worked in feral rescue at the time, and
this person proceeded to tell us at length how the RSPCA euthanaised
ferals because they were bad, unhomeable, yadda yadda.. Both Deb and I
had (I still do have) feral cats as pets at the time. It wasn't so much
that the RSPCA implemented the euthanaisia policy, more the fact she
was so callous about it - using phrases like "bump 'em off", "Pento
room", "dump the carcasses" etc.

Deb is mild mannered, as in REALLY mild mannered, but I honestly
thought she was going to stab her fork in the womans neck. Me, I'm a
little more blunt & slightly less diplomatic. It was an interesting
dinner party in more than 1 way.

Helen M

Old March 7th 05, 06:53 PM
Debbie Wilson

Mary wrote:

"Kreisleriana" wrote

As a New Yorker, I felt so "at home" in London. It was a city I could
understand.

(snip)

Thanks for this great account. I want to take my husband to
London just as soon as work permits. It is good to know
that those of us who are comfortable in NYC can deal with
London.

It's a great account, Theresa, it's the London I know that's for sure.
Yes, a place where anyone can be anything and people will hardly bat an
eyelid. Walking is absolutely the best way to see London, followed
closely by riding the top of a double-decker bus. The Underground is
good, with a history of its own, but you don't see much along the way.
We visited NYC 10 years ago and it reminded me of London, except that it
was 100 times bigger, noisier and more vibrant in every direction :-) So
Mary, yes, if you are happy in NYC you'll do just fine in central
London. :-)

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 7th 05, 06:53 PM
Debbie Wilson

HRFLTiger wrote:

(snip)
Deb is mild mannered, as in REALLY mild mannered, but I honestly
thought she was going to stab her fork in the womans neck. Me, I'm a
little more blunt & slightly less diplomatic. It was an interesting
dinner party in more than 1 way.

Blehhh, I'd forgotten that particular episode. I don't think I'd be so
restrained now, that's for sure ;-)

And BTW, would you call Cocoa *tame*..???
"I wannabe a FERALLLL!!! Rrraoowrr!!"

:-))

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 7th 05, 10:39 PM
HRFLTiger

Debbie Wilson wrote:

And BTW, would you call Cocoa *tame*..???
"I wannabe a FERALLLL!!! Rrraoowrr!!"///

I think Cocoa is secretly a soppy puss and she just cracks on she's a
grumpy old madam. Having said that, I wouldn't argue with her! Give her
and the crew a scritch from me. ;o)

Helen M

Old March 7th 05, 10:52 PM
Mary

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
Mary wrote:

"Kreisleriana" wrote

[...]

I can't WAIT!! But it will be a while as work is too busy. Thanks so
much for the input, and if we go, I'll email you to see if you want
to have coffee! 8)

Old March 9th 05, 05:29 PM
Debbie Wilson

HRFLTiger wrote:

I think Cocoa is secretly a soppy puss and she just cracks on she's a
grumpy old madam. Having said that, I wouldn't argue with her! Give her
and the crew a scritch from me. ;o)

Consider them scritched :-)

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 9th 05, 05:29 PM
Debbie Wilson

Mary wrote:

I can't WAIT!! But it will be a while as work is too busy. Thanks so
much for the input, and if we go, I'll email you to see if you want
to have coffee! 8)

Definitely! Will look forward to it :-)

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 11th 05, 04:24 PM
Mary

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
. ..
Mary wrote:

I can't WAIT!! But it will be a while as work is too busy. Thanks so
much for the input, and if we go, I'll email you to see if you want
to have coffee! 8)

Definitely! Will look forward to it :-)

It might be a while. I work so much. I can't recall if I am working to
pay bills or creating bills so I have to work all the time but that seems
to be all I do! And it goes out as fast as it comes in. Or faster!

Regarding your art: I love it all, but am particularly fond of
your botanical illustrations. There is some great soothing
peace in the repeated patterns and shapes in nature, and
the colors too, for me. Of course I like the ones of all
the creatures, too! Wonderful work, and I see that you
have spent a long time learning about your topic, too.
I have you bookmarked! Thanks for sharing.