worried about 18y/o cat with new dog

Old August 6th 05, 02:56 PM
AA

Default worried about 18y/o cat with new dog

A little background. Buggy spent most of her life outdoors at my
mother's, including winters, though in her later years she just wanted
to stay indoors. My mother and step-father's home became the "dumping
ground" for my sisters' cats when it wasn't convenient for them to care
for them any longer. She was best friends with one of the other cats
until that one died. Since then she dislikes all the other cats. If
they come close she starts growling and eventually swipes at them.

I had been living overseas but when I came back we took Buggy and she is
living with us now. She is very very happy now, completely relaxed, and
loves all the attention and her new life here.

Now the problem: My little sister just had a baby. She also has 2 dogs
and a cat (and a husband) in a very small house on a marine base. She
can no longer put up with it and has decided she must give away one of
the dogs. He is a jack russel terrier and we are thinking about taking
him on because he is a nice dog. Really the only concern I have is for
Buggy. I'm afraid this will put a great strain on her and I don't know
if she will be able to grow accustomed to him. Right now she is
stretched out in the middle of the living room floor looking very
comfortable and I'd hate to have her spend the rest of her life hiding
from him.

Does anyone have any experience in this area or any advice to offer?

We are going back overseas in a few weeks. Any pets we have will go
with us. We thought about taking him on a trial basis for about a week.
Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old August 6th 05, 05:48 PM
Rhonda

I would ditto that. I've heard a lot about jack russells, and I wouldn't
want to put one of those with my cats. With your cat's history -- I
don't think it's a good match.

I've heard about jack russellls jumping fences you never thought they
would, and always looking for a "job" to do.

I would think she could pretty easily find someone else who wanted a
jack russell.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Karen wrote:

in article 9k3Je.85409$%Z2.2608@lakeread08, AA at wrote on
8/6/05 8:56AM:

That is a VERY high energy dog. But jack russells are also very popular. If
I were you, I would look for a home for him with someone that is either
experienced with Jack Russels or home a LOT because I tell you what, JR's
will become instant destructo dogs if not highly engaged. A calm dog would
possibly be ok with your cat, but a JR is, IMO, too energetic. They can be
friends with cats but it needs to be young and energetic too.

Old August 6th 05, 06:27 PM
Snittens

"Rhonda" wrote in message
I would ditto that. I've heard a lot about jack russells, and I wouldn't
want to put one of those with my cats. With your cat's history -- I don't
think it's a good match.

I've heard about jack russellls jumping fences you never thought they
would, and always looking for a "job" to do.

I would think she could pretty easily find someone else who wanted a jack
russell.

Maybe look for a JR rescue? From what I've heard as well, if you aren't up
for an energetic little dog like that, they will drive you insane. I don't
think it would be a good match for an 18 year old cat. If you did want to
get a dog, I would suggest an older, calm dog.

-Kelly

Old August 6th 05, 07:52 PM
Annie Wxill

"AA" wrote in message
.... My little sister just had a baby. She also has 2 dogs
and a cat (and a husband) in a very small house on a marine base. ...

How old is the dog? How does he get along with the cat in his present home?

Buggy probably would not like the idea, but she might get along with a dog
better than another cat.

I'm partial to terriers myself, but they have too much energy for some
people.

I think you need to consider what this particular dog is like and how he
would fit with you and with Buggy. However, it might take longer than a
week to make a determination.

Good luck. Too bad your sister is a bit loopy and always needs someone to
bail her out.

Annie

Old August 7th 05, 02:52 PM
AA

Annie Wxill wrote:
"AA" wrote in message
... My little sister just had a baby. She also has 2 dogs

and a cat (and a husband) in a very small house on a marine base. ...

How old is the dog? How does he get along with the cat in his present home?

Buggy probably would not like the idea, but she might get along with a dog
better than another cat.

I'm partial to terriers myself, but they have too much energy for some
people.

I think you need to consider what this particular dog is like and how he
would fit with you and with Buggy. However, it might take longer than a
week to make a determination.

Good luck. Too bad your sister is a bit loopy and always needs someone to
bail her out.

Annie

He supposedly mostly ignores the cats he lived with at my sister's.
I've been warned about how much attention he will need and my wife has
been asking for a dog for a while to pay attention to, so I'm hoping
that part will be OK. I'm mostly worried about Buggy being able to
relax and continue to enjoy her life.
Old August 7th 05, 03:50 PM
Annie Wxill

"AA" wrote in message

He supposedly mostly ignores the cats he lived with at my sister's. I've
been warned about how much attention he will need and my wife has been
asking for a dog for a while to pay attention to, so I'm hoping that part
will be OK. I'm mostly worried about Buggy being able to relax and
continue to enjoy her life.

Hi AA,
Well, you know that the dog is cat friendly and not inclined to chase. Some
of the cats he's known probably have taught him some manners. Buggy would
need some places, such as a cat tree, where she can view the action but feel
safe.

I'd guess that at first, Buggy will not be happy at having an interloper. I
can understand your concern because of her age. You wouldn't want to stress
her too much. On the other hand, if the dog already knows who's boss, it
should not take Buggy too long to pick up on this. At that point, she would
be likely to view the dog as an interesting source of amusement and maybe
even as a companion.

I think the key is your wife, who says she wants a dog. If she really will
give the dog the attention he needs on a long-term basis, I think it could
work out fine for all.
But you know your cat and the dog and your wife. I don't. The trial basis
you suggested in your first post sounds like a good idea, as long as your
wife will be there to supervise the dog and you realize that Buggy probably
will hide out for a while and you can give her lots of attention and
reassurance and monitor her stress level.

Many dogs and cats get along fine. Even when the dog is a bouncy little
terrier. I know from experience.

Annie

Old August 7th 05, 11:09 PM
Helen Miles

"AA" wrote in message

I'm afraid this will put a great strain on her and I don't know
if she will be able to grow accustomed to him. Right now she is
stretched out in the middle of the living room floor looking very
comfortable and I'd hate to have her spend the rest of her life hiding
from him.

Does anyone have any experience in this area or any advice to offer?///

If you *ARE* decided on getting the JRT, go out and buy a child gate and
cut a bar out, so the cat can get through it and the JRT can't. Then put
it either across the bottom of the stairs, so that your cat can get away
from the dog and find some peace.

I have a loopy Boarder collie X, and had to introduce her to my feral
cat, who was terrified of dogs. By confining the dog to the kitchen, and
let the cat have space where she *KNEW* that the dog could not follow
and she would be left alone, I was able to introduce them slowly over a
period of about 6 months with minimum stress. You *HAVE* to create a
sacred space for your cat, so that she can chose to be away from the
dog.

Helen M

Old August 8th 05, 07:39 AM
Jen M. via CatKB.com

I wonder--since you have her all calm and acclimated--and since your home
apparently is condusive for that--if her transition with a JR might be
different if she were where she was before? Make sense? I have a feeling
she might do fine with it since she is already the queen.

Jen