Fez gets in hot coffee

Old March 8th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Fez gets in hot coffee

I got an espresso maker for x-mas from my MIL, and most days I make
myself a capuccino with breakfast. I often take my coffee to the
computer to read my email, where I put the cup next to the mouse on my
right. Today Fez was being his usual self, meowing pitifully to try and
get some kibble for breakfast (we prefer if they finish their wet food
before putting out kibble). He decided to be more assertive and jumped
up on the desk, putting is right back paw *in* my freshly brewed (and
very hot) capuccino and spilling it all over the place.
Poor Fez, he got yelled at and he probably hurt a little with the hot
coffee. I saw him licking his paw but he wasn't limping or anything, so
I'm sure it wasn't serious.
I need to remember to put my coffee where it can't be tipped over (or
on) by a certain hungry cat.

Victor, posting via google.

Old March 8th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"pistor" wrote in message
oups.com...
I got an espresso maker for x-mas from my MIL, and most days I make
myself a capuccino with breakfast. I often take my coffee to the
computer to read my email, where I put the cup next to the mouse on my
right. Today Fez was being his usual self, meowing pitifully to try and
get some kibble for breakfast (we prefer if they finish their wet food
before putting out kibble). He decided to be more assertive and jumped
up on the desk, putting is right back paw *in* my freshly brewed (and
very hot) capuccino and spilling it all over the place.
Poor Fez, he got yelled at and he probably hurt a little with the hot
coffee. I saw him licking his paw but he wasn't limping or anything, so
I'm sure it wasn't serious.
I need to remember to put my coffee where it can't be tipped over (or
on) by a certain hungry cat.

Victor, posting via google.

Aw, poor Fez - and poor Victor (I know you feel terrible for yelling, but it
was just a startle reflex). Fez should be fine - they no longer make coffee
makers or cappuccino machines that will get liquids hot enough to cause a
burn thanks to suit-happy lawyers here in the US. He was probably just
licking the wet off.

Purrs for all to have a calmer day.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 8th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

pistor wrote:
I got an espresso maker for x-mas from my MIL, and most days I make
myself a capuccino with breakfast. I often take my coffee to the
computer to read my email, where I put the cup next to the mouse on my
right. Today Fez was being his usual self, meowing pitifully to try
and get some kibble for breakfast (we prefer if they finish their wet
food before putting out kibble). He decided to be more assertive and
jumped up on the desk, putting is right back paw *in* my freshly
brewed (and very hot) capuccino and spilling it all over the place.
Poor Fez, he got yelled at and he probably hurt a little with the hot
coffee. I saw him licking his paw but he wasn't limping or anything,
so I'm sure it wasn't serious.
I need to remember to put my coffee where it can't be tipped over (or
on) by a certain hungry cat.

Victor, posting via google.

What a mean daddy, leaving a trap for poor little Fez. ;-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old March 8th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 8 Mar 2006 08:48:35 -0800, "pistor" yodeled:

I got an espresso maker for x-mas from my MIL, and most days I make
myself a capuccino with breakfast. I often take my coffee to the
computer to read my email, where I put the cup next to the mouse on my
right. Today Fez was being his usual self, meowing pitifully to try and
get some kibble for breakfast (we prefer if they finish their wet food
before putting out kibble). He decided to be more assertive and jumped
up on the desk, putting is right back paw *in* my freshly brewed (and
very hot) capuccino and spilling it all over the place.
Poor Fez, he got yelled at and he probably hurt a little with the hot
coffee. I saw him licking his paw but he wasn't limping or anything, so
I'm sure it wasn't serious.
I need to remember to put my coffee where it can't be tipped over (or
on) by a certain hungry cat.

Victor, posting via google.

Poor Fezzie. Stinky has stuck his nose into coffee cups, even soup
bowls, and somehow escaped getting burned. Maybe he has an asbestos
nose.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old March 9th 06, 11:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default COFFEE HOT (Was: Fez gets in hot coffee)

CatNipped wrote:
"pistor" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You'd be wrong about that statement!! Until I went to take my classes for
my insurance license I'd never had coffee at a McDonald's before. You
remember them because I think you're citing that as case law. I was early
for class one day so I ran into McDonald's and ordered a cup of coffee. It
was so f***'ng hot I couldn't even take a sip of it without burning my
tongue. My own coffee maker at home doesn't brew coffee this hot. Neither
does the one at the Burger King next to the McD's. They apparently have
this thing set for a gazillion degrees farenheit. I'd sue if I spilled this
lava in my lap, too.

Jill

Old March 9th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

He decided to be more assertive and jumped
up on the desk, putting is right back paw *in* my freshly brewed (and
very hot) capuccino and spilling it all over the place.

Tyche tips coffee and tea with her paw all the time, particularly when
the cup is too narrow for her face to reach the liquid...then she
knocks it over and laps as it spills. She's also tried this prank with
beer bottles, shoving them over, but we've managed to catch all THOSE
in time (unlike coffee and tea)

--Fil

Old March 9th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default COFFEE HOT

jmcquown wrote:

longer make coffee makers or cappuccino machines that will get
liquids hot enough to cause a burn thanks to suit-happy lawyers here
in the US.

You'd be wrong about that statement!! Until I went to take my classes for
my insurance license I'd never had coffee at a McDonald's before. You
remember them because I think you're citing that as case law. I was early
for class one day so I ran into McDonald's and ordered a cup of coffee. It
was so f***'ng hot I couldn't even take a sip of it without burning my
tongue. My own coffee maker at home doesn't brew coffee this hot. Neither
does the one at the Burger King next to the McD's. They apparently have
this thing set for a gazillion degrees farenheit. I'd sue if I spilled this
lava in my lap, too.

Thank you, Jill! It's so ironic that this particular case is the poster
child for frivolous litigation, when the woman who sued McD's (and won)
sustained serious injuries, and had no reason to expect that the drink
she was handling was dangerously hot.

And as to the question of "Why did this idiot put a hot cup of coffee
between her legs in a moving car?", ask yourself this: would you put a
cup of a *cold* drink in your lap in a car? Maybe, right? What's the
worst that could happen - you might get wet. What about a lukewarm
drink? Same thing. A hot drink? Well, probably not, but the worst that
could happen, with a hot drink that's a *reasonable* temperature of
hot, is that you might get a mild burn, and you'd be uncomfortable. You
might have a sore red patch on your legs for a couple of days. Not
something to sue anyone over.

My point with the above has to do with the woman's expectations. She
had the reasonable expectation that the worst that would happen is that
she'd spill some of the hot coffee on her legs and get a mild burn -
not an actionable injury. She was *not* expecting the coffee to be so
hot that she would end up with 2nd-degree burns (or maybe even 3rd-degree,
can't remember), requiring hospitalization and skin grafting. I think
that's a reasonable expectation on her part. Certainly if the coffee
was that dangerously hot, people should have been warned - I mean they're
handling it in moving vehicles (at the drive-through), which isn't all
that safe even if they don't put the cup in their lap.

Not to mention that McD's had received numerous complaints about the
temperature of the coffee previously, so it wasn't news to them - yet
they continued to brew it at that temperature.

If you want an an example of bad litigation (not to mention outrageous
outcomes), what about that guy who broke into someone's house, hurt
himself while he was there, sued the owners, and WON? What drugs were
those jury members on??

Joyce

Old March 9th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
"pistor" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Oh, I'm not saying she didn't deserve reimbursement - she *was* seriously
burned.

I'm just bummed that ever since then you can't get a really hot cup of
coffee anywhere and even the home coffee makers you buy today don't get the
coffee really hot. I *HATE* lukewarm coffee - I have to put my mug in the
microwave as soon as it's finished brewing!

Because of lawyers we no longer have: high diving boards at public pools
(or public pools for that matter that will stay open without a lifeguard on
duty), doctors who will make a diagnosis without 20 different confirming
tests (but we *do* have astronomical healthcare costs in order to cover the
costs of malpractice insurance), playground equipment that will go high or
fast or is in any way *fun* to play on, *TONS* of medicines that were
perfect for most people but caused some side-effects in a few, etc., etc.,
etc. Anyone else want to play the game of what else lawyers have gotten
banned because of frivolous lawsuits?

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 9th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

Good observations, Joyce, but my fuzzy opinion is that there
are very few vehicles manufactured in USA (dunno re other
countries) that don't have at least one form of "cup-holder"
somewhere near driver's seat. My vehicle has 4 cup-holders,
all within easy reach for me. I drive all the time with hot,
tepid, freezing liquids in drive-up cups of various sizes, and
the only b**** I ever have is that Starbucks and Einstein
lids slop coffee out the little hole in cap you drink from
(but not a whole lot).
I think this woman was a few sandwiches short of a picnic
mentally, as I personally would *never* place any cup
near my legs, even as a passenger and not needing to
shift gears....but she didn't need to be smart to get
all that $ from the fast-food giant. Her attorney firm
did the work for her.....
sometimes I think cats have more common sense than
hoomins.....