QUESTION: Is It Possible To Trap In The Rain?

Old August 1st 05, 03:42 PM
EADGBE

Default QUESTION: Is It Possible To Trap In The Rain?

Just my luck....

Now that I have finally found a cat trap, the skies in my area are
opening up and it is pouring down rain every single night!

I have not trapped during these nights because I didn't know how
effective it could be...

....but now I'm desperate to get my cat back, and I am wondering if you
CAN have success trapping in the rain.

Unfortunately, the best places in my area to place a trap do NOT have
rain cover, so the trap (and the food inside) are going to get soaked.

Is it still OK to trap, or should I wait for clear skies...whenever
they might be?

Old August 1st 05, 04:18 PM
M.C. Mullen

"EADGBE" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
: Just my luck....
:
: Now that I have finally found a cat trap, the skies in my area are
: opening up and it is pouring down rain every single night!
:
: I have not trapped during these nights because I didn't know how
: effective it could be...
:
: ...but now I'm desperate to get my cat back, and I am wondering if you
: CAN have success trapping in the rain.
:
: Unfortunately, the best places in my area to place a trap do NOT have
: rain cover, so the trap (and the food inside) are going to get soaked.
:
: Is it still OK to trap, or should I wait for clear skies...whenever
: they might be?

Why can't you just put a plastic cover over the trap? I can't see why this
shouldn't work.
It looks like a nice and dry place for food anyway. Good luck!!!!!

Carola

Old August 1st 05, 06:06 PM
Phil P.

"EADGBE" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just my luck....

Now that I have finally found a cat trap, the skies in my area are
opening up and it is pouring down rain every single night!

I have not trapped during these nights because I didn't know how
effective it could be...

...but now I'm desperate to get my cat back, and I am wondering if you
CAN have success trapping in the rain.

Unfortunately, the best places in my area to place a trap do NOT have
rain cover, so the trap (and the food inside) are going to get soaked.

Is it still OK to trap, or should I wait for clear skies...whenever
they might be?

If you're using a Tomahawk, Tru-Catch, or Hav-a-heart live trap, you can
simply cover the trap with a tarp being sure to leave the entrance open.
The trap doors in these trap close from inside the traps, thus, a tarp will
not affect the trap door mechanism. Just be sure to cover the floor of the
trap with newspaper.

In rainy weather, the cat would see the covered trap as a shelter which
should increase your chances of trapping her.

Good luck.

Phil

Old August 1st 05, 07:05 PM
Ron Herfurth

My guys would find any cover in an area they were familiar with and wait out
the rain there. I doubt they would venture out enough to see a covered trap.
However when the rain stops they'll come out of hiding as your guy likely
will and he'll be hungry. As soon as the rain stops bait the trap with the
smelliest stuff you can find and he should find it.

good luck.

Old August 2nd 05, 04:42 AM
EADGBE

Diana wrote:
Do I understand you to be saying that you are trying to trap your own cat?
Albert is nearby and unwilling to present himself to you? Why?
--
Diana

Diana:

When a cat goes stray, especially an indoor-only cat, they freak out
completely and go into a defensive mode. Most of the time, not even the
cat's owner is able to approach the cat...assuming the cat would even
show himself/herself at all. Sometimes trapping is the ONLY way to
regain your acquaintance with the cat! The cat's instincts for
self-preservation go into overdrive, and many times, the cat does not
"belong" to the owner again until the owner can actually get the cat
back into his own house...where all the familiar smells are! There are
many cases where trapped cats "remember" instantly once inside their
familiar surroundings again.

Trapping is recommended by many experts on pet recovery, especially for
cats, because of a cat's tendency to not trust ANYONE when out in the
world.

Go to this website for an EXCELLENT overview on how to recover your
lost cat, including detailed instructions on trapping your cat:
http://www.sonic.net/~pauline/about.html