What can I do to reduce litter box smell and tracking???? HELP

Old November 25th 03, 04:56 AM
Joe Canuck

Laura R. wrote:

circa Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:56:31 -0500, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Joe Canuck ) said,

Put less litter in the box, scoop daily and clean the box frequently.
Too much litter makes those big clods that break up when you try to
scoop and leave stinky bits behind.

I will disagree with you on that one.

You may, but it has worked for me.

Laura

Ok, but how much do you consider too much... litter that is?

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old November 25th 03, 02:27 PM
Joe Pitt

The best litter matt I have seen/used is available at improvements.com
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p...ept%5Fid=15120

It has a grid above a tray that traps the litter. Used with a covered litter
box it has pretty much eliminated the tracking problem in my house.

--
Joe
http://www.jwpitt.com/cats.htm

"Scott" wrote in message
om...
Background: We have two cats, both female. We have two, covered
litter boxes. The boxes are side by side and both use by both cats.
We clean the litter daily and replace it every couple weeks. We use
premium, clumping litter (fresh step).

We have two problems:

1. The litter gets tracked across the floor. How can I reduce
this?

2. The smell, what can I do to reduce this? We have a air cleaner
running next the boxes with a HEPA and Charcoal filter. This seems to
help some. The younger cat (7 months) has a habit of not covering her
waste. This definitely adds to the problem. It's not too bad but you
can definitely smell the boxes in the room.

Thanks for the advice.

Old November 25th 03, 02:27 PM
Joe Pitt

Old November 25th 03, 04:05 PM
Mary

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
.. .
Laura R. wrote:

circa Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:56:31 -0500, in

rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Joe Canuck ) said,

Put less litter in the box, scoop daily and clean the box

frequently.
Too much litter makes those big clods that break up when you try

scoop and leave stinky bits behind.

I will disagree with you on that one.

You may, but it has worked for me.

Laura

Ok, but how much do you consider too much... litter that is?

I am also of the more litter camp. Like you, I find that when it
sticks to the bottom of the box it breaks up in small crumbs and soils
the litter. I use as much as I can without ensuring that my cats kick
out huge dunes of litter while covering their mess.

Old December 13th 03, 05:06 PM
Stephanie Parker

to reduce litter box smell I put baking soda on the bottom of the box after
I have cleaned and dried it then I scatter the bottom of the box with the
soda works like a charm aint smelt poop since I have used it

Old December 13th 03, 05:06 PM
Stephanie Parker