Kitten let me sleep longer?

Old September 13th 05, 06:15 PM

Default Kitten let me sleep longer?

Question about my new kitten, We go to bed together around 1am but
seems to wake me up around 6:30am in the morning, although 4am has been
recorded before also.

It is always purring heavily (but never meows) He will butt my hands
and face with his head, much like a greeting but he will not stop.
well maybe until I surrender my pillow, then he might settle down on
it. I free feed and don't serve additional breakfast such as canned
food.

I carried him out and closed the door but he would come back to the
door and meow after a while, I let him in and it is head butt fest and
then eventually we both go back to sleep again.

Any idea what he might be wanting.. and how to tell him I want to
sleep for another hour or two? I heard cats are fairly consistent and
maybe I wouldn't need an alarm clock one day, provided he will wake me
at the right time.

Old September 13th 05, 06:30 PM
Karen

Mine still do it at 8 years old. I'd get a second pillow for kitten. You are
actually doing quite well IMO if you get to sleep until 6:30 am.

oups.com...

Old September 13th 05, 06:37 PM
Mathew Kagis

Sounds like both my cats when they were younger. Muscat still shows up
for the occasional 4 am cuddle. There was a period of time where I had
to close them out of the bedroom & tough out the mewowing... the
3a.m.wrestlewitheachotherontopofsleepingdad was getting a little much.
They've both mellowed as time goes on. Enjoy it while you can, may
come a day when you miss it.

Mathew, Chablis & Muscat

Old September 14th 05, 01:37 AM
5cats

[...]

They're so cute when they do that little head butt thing, aren't they?
It seems like one head bop means "hello" and follow-up bops (if any) mean
"pay attention to me".

The most frustrating thing is when the cats wake me up on a cold winter
morning, I get up and feed them, then while I'm getting showered and
dressed, they go back to sleep snuggly curled up in the middle of my bed!

About the only thing that discourages them from pawing at me to wake up
is to play dead and remain motionless. Then they just hover around
staring at me. One move though, and they'll start pawing at me and
walking all over me.

Old September 14th 05, 02:03 AM
Karen

On 2005-09-13 19:37:05 -0500, 5cats said:

wrote:

[...]

Oh yeah. For God's sake do NOT crack open an eye. They KNOW when you
crack open an eye and that is that. I had a boy that would let me sleep
as long as 1) the alarm had not gone off, but once that happened,
forget it. He knew he was legal at that point (no "snooze button" with
him around) and 2) I did not open my eyes. Once an eye is open, that is
also considered "legal" and pawing will ensue.

Old September 14th 05, 02:48 AM
Rebecca Root

Hang in there. My experience is that after 3-12 weeks they'll pretty
much sleep the night
through. Here are my tips, most of which you've heard befo
- wear the little bugger out with play before bedtime
- have open windows and toys available for him to visit if he
wakes up early
- use a spare pillow to transfer him to when he's in your face
- keep your bedtimes as consistent as possible so he'll adapt to them
- if you wake up in the night, give him a little attention then

Then, if you can, this helps too:
- when he headbutts, learn to pet him without fully waking up yourself
- get a second kitten to play with him during the day and in
the early morning :-)

And think, it could be worse. My first kitten, Wilkey, got the bright
idea that he could just
bite me on the nose when he wanted me to finally get up.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've always been able to get my cats to
learn to leave me pretty
much alone. Sukey comes for a petting at about 5am but just falls
asleep with me whether or
not I notice she's come to bed. Riley learned my technique of just
reaching over and petting
his face to avoid too much head-butting, so now when he wants me to
acknowledge his
existence, he just reaches over and pats me on the face with his paw.

So, tell us more about this cat. What's his name? What does he look like?