OT query for UK members

Old August 28th 03, 09:45 PM
Denise VanDyke

Default OT query for UK members

As others have pointed out in the past, this is a really knowledgeable
group. I'm sure that one (or several) of you can help me with this.

I am doing some genealogy research, and want to get some maps of various
parts of the Lancashire area - primarily Liverpool, Manchester and
Wigan. Is there a particular brand/publisher/mapmaker that you would
recommend? Are there any that are barely worth the paper and ink they
are made of and should be avoided? It would be particularly useful to
be able to get ones with good detail of North Manchester and the Toxteth
Park area of Liverpool, if possible.

Contact me on or off list. Either is fine with me. Thanks!!

Denise - owned and manipulated by Brenna

Old August 28th 03, 09:57 PM
Debbie Maizels

Denise VanDyke wrote:

As others have pointed out in the past, this is a really knowledgeable
group. I'm sure that one (or several) of you can help me with this.

I am doing some genealogy research, and want to get some maps of various
parts of the Lancashire area - primarily Liverpool, Manchester and
Wigan. Is there a particular brand/publisher/mapmaker that you would
recommend? Are there any that are barely worth the paper and ink they
are made of and should be avoided? It would be particularly useful to
be able to get ones with good detail of North Manchester and the Toxteth
Park area of Liverpool, if possible.

Ordnance Survey are generally the most accurate, and come in a variety
of scales, 1:50,000 or 1:25,000 for certain areas, which will show you
every house However, if you want actual street names as opposed to
topography, then A-Z Maps are probably your best bet.

Ordnance Survey:
http://www.ordsvy.gov.uk/
(look for online shop)

A to Z:
http://www.azmaps.co.uk/
(also does online shop)

You can get low-res, small areas online with the following sites:
http://www.multimap.com/
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

Hope this helps -

Deb.

--
Y! diatomdeb :: 0°07'W 51°18'N :: www.scientific-art.com

Old August 28th 03, 10:42 PM
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX

Hope this helps -

Deb.

Deb beat me to it with all the URLs :-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**$s$@*$$a**$*o l*$*.*$$c$om*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~
Old August 28th 03, 10:50 PM
David Stevenson

Denise VanDyke wrote
As others have pointed out in the past, this is a really knowledgeable
group. I'm sure that one (or several) of you can help me with this.

I am doing some genealogy research, and want to get some maps of various
parts of the Lancashire area - primarily Liverpool, Manchester and
Wigan.

As a matter of interest, neither Liverpool nor Manchester is in
Lancashire any mo I am not sure about Wigan. The counties were
revamped some years ago - I really cannot remember how long - thirty?
forty?

Is there a particular brand/publisher/mapmaker that you would
recommend? Are there any that are barely worth the paper and ink they
are made of and should be avoided? It would be particularly useful to
be able to get ones with good detail of North Manchester and the Toxteth
Park area of Liverpool, if possible.

As someone else said, Ordnanace Survey maps are the best.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old August 28th 03, 11:37 PM
Denise VanDyke

David Stevenson wrote:
Denise VanDyke wrote

As others have pointed out in the past, this is a really knowledgeable
group. I'm sure that one (or several) of you can help me with this.

I am doing some genealogy research, and want to get some maps of various
parts of the Lancashire area - primarily Liverpool, Manchester and
Wigan.

As a matter of interest, neither Liverpool nor Manchester is in
Lancashire any mo I am not sure about Wigan. The counties were
revamped some years ago - I really cannot remember how long - thirty?
forty?

Yes, well, most of the maps I'm looking at are from the mid to late
1800's. I'm sure that the county lines have been shifted back and forth
several times since then. ;-) Depending on *exactly* when, Manchester
could be Lancashire or Cheshire (IIRC), and Wigan has (so far) been SW
Lancashire. It's a little west of Leigh, southwest of Ince and
northeast of Newton - if that helps. But I'm sure that only locals and
others with a reason to know would know there those places are. :-)

- Denise

Old August 29th 03, 03:20 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Denise VanDyke wrote:

As others have pointed out in the past, this is a really knowledgeable
group. I'm sure that one (or several) of you can help me with this.

I am doing some genealogy research, and want to get some maps of various
parts of the Lancashire area - primarily Liverpool, Manchester and
Wigan. Is there a particular brand/publisher/mapmaker that you would
recommend? Are there any that are barely worth the paper and ink they
are made of and should be avoided? It would be particularly useful to
be able to get ones with good detail of North Manchester and the Toxteth
Park area of Liverpool, if possible.

Contact me on or off list. Either is fine with me. Thanks!!

I should think you could find some of them on-line - although you might
want a color printer to print them out.

Denise - owned and manipulated by Brenna

Old August 29th 03, 03:32 AM
David Stevenson

Denise VanDyke wrote
David Stevenson wrote:
Denise VanDyke wrote

[...]

I have a fairly good idea where Wigan is - I have changed trains there
a few times. But I am less sure about where the county boundary is.

I appreciate that it used to be Lancashire and Cheshire with the
Mersey in-between. But this is no longer the case, and since I live in
Merseyside I thought I would point it out. Where I live used to be
Cheshire.

Old August 29th 03, 10:13 AM
Jeanette

Denise VanDyke wrote:

As others have pointed out in the past, this is a really knowledgeable
group. I'm sure that one (or several) of you can help me with this.

I am doing some genealogy research, and want to get some maps of various
parts of the Lancashire area - primarily Liverpool, Manchester and
Wigan. Is there a particular brand/publisher/mapmaker that you would
recommend? Are there any that are barely worth the paper and ink they
are made of and should be avoided? It would be particularly useful to
be able to get ones with good detail of North Manchester and the Toxteth
Park area of Liverpool, if possible.

Contact me on or off list. Either is fine with me. Thanks!!

There are old maps available for that area, still in print for genealogists
and local historians. You could probably find a link via local history
groups for that area. I've definitely seen them for sale in a local history
museum in Wigan, but it was about four years ago, and I can't remember much
about it.

Old August 30th 03, 01:03 PM
Adrian

David Stevenson wrote:
Manchester and Wigan.

As a matter of interest, neither Liverpool nor Manchester is in
Lancashire any mo I am not sure about Wigan. The counties were
revamped some years ago - I really cannot remember how long - thirty?
forty?

Is that why I've spent thirty years looking for Middlesex? ;-)
--
Adrian
A House Is Not A Home, Without A Cat.

Old August 30th 03, 11:46 PM
Shirley

"Adrian" wrote in message
David Stevenson wrote:
Manchester and Wigan.

As a matter of interest, neither Liverpool nor Manchester is in
Lancashire any mo I am not sure about Wigan. The counties were
revamped some years ago - I really cannot remember how long -

thirty?
forty?

Is that why I've spent thirty years looking for Middlesex? ;-)

There are some nice men from Middlesex, I married one :-)
--
Shirley
see my cats at