Recipe Request

Old June 13th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Recipe Request

All I ever eat are "Lean Cuisine" meals (mostly because I'm too lazy to cook
low-calorie, low-fat meals that taste good), and there is one, "Chicken
Fettuccini With Caramelized Apples" that I buy almost exclusive for the
Caramelized Apples. I'd love to be able to make those myself, but wouldn't
be able to eat something high in sugar (and all the recipes I've seen for it
are almost all sugar). I'm sure Lean Cuisine manages to do it without a lot
of sugar or it wouldn't be as low in calories as it is.

Does anyone out there have a good recipe for Caramelized Apples that doesn't
call for lots of sugar (or that can have a sugar substitute instead)?

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 14th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote

Does anyone out there have a good recipe for Caramelized Apples that
doesn't call for lots of sugar (or that can have a sugar substitute
instead)?

Try substituting barley malt syrup (tastes like brown sugar but isn't nearly
as concentrated, sugar-wise) for the brown sugar.

http://www.edenfoods.com/store/produ...ucts_id=104050

A small amount of salt and lemon juice helps bring out the natural sweetness
of apples. I haven't tried this Lean C. meal, but I assume you won't be
using whole apples and baking will be involved, so apply the lemon/salt
mixture to the chopped apples first, then add the barley malt syrup, prior
to baking.

HTH

Old June 14th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote

Does anyone out there have a good recipe for Caramelized Apples that
doesn't call for lots of sugar (or that can have a sugar substitute
instead)?

Try substituting barley malt syrup (tastes like brown sugar but isn't
nearly as concentrated, sugar-wise) for the brown sugar.

http://www.edenfoods.com/store/produ...ucts_id=104050

A small amount of salt and lemon juice helps bring out the natural
sweetness of apples. I haven't tried this Lean C. meal, but I assume you
won't be using whole apples and baking will be involved, so apply the
lemon/salt mixture to the chopped apples first, then add the barley malt
syrup, prior to baking.

HTH

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 14th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-06-13, CatNipped penned:
(and all the recipes I've seen for it are almost all sugar). I'm
sure Lean Cuisine manages to do it without a lot of sugar or it
wouldn't be as low in calories as it is.

Lori, I wouldn't be too sure about that. Sugar is pretty low in
calories.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 14th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-06-13, CatNipped penned:
(and all the recipes I've seen for it are almost all sugar). I'm
sure Lean Cuisine manages to do it without a lot of sugar or it
wouldn't be as low in calories as it is.

Lori, I wouldn't be too sure about that. Sugar is pretty low in
calories.

*REALLY*!!????? I never knew that. I was partly going by my reaction to
sugar (which these dinners don't give me) - being gawd-awful sick. But I
truly didn't know that sugar was low in calories.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 14th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-06-13, CatNipped penned:
(and all the recipes I've seen for it are almost all sugar). I'm
sure Lean Cuisine manages to do it without a lot of sugar or it
wouldn't be as low in calories as it is.

Lori, I wouldn't be too sure about that. Sugar is pretty low in
calories.

Ah, I found the calorie content of sugar:

Sugar (Serving size) Calories
Table Sugar, 1 level teaspoon (4g) 15
Table Sugar, 1 heaped teaspoon (6g) 25
Table Sugar, 1 cup 770

And all the recipes I found called for 2 cups of sugar. Since I'm on a 1200
calorie a day diet (when I bicycle for 1 hour a day, less if I don't), this
wouldn't work for me (no, I *can't* eat just a little! ;). I like things
*sweet*! I use Splenda in my coffee, but I put in *three tablespoons*
before it's sweet enough for me (that's 0 calories for Splenda, but would be
225 calories for sugar!!!) :-0

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 14th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
All I ever eat are "Lean Cuisine" meals (mostly because I'm too lazy to
cook low-calorie, low-fat meals that taste good), and there is one,
"Chicken Fettuccini With Caramelized Apples" that I buy almost exclusive
for the Caramelized Apples. I'd love to be able to make those myself, but
wouldn't be able to eat something high in sugar (and all the recipes I've
seen for it are almost all sugar). I'm sure Lean Cuisine manages to do it
without a lot of sugar or it wouldn't be as low in calories as it is.

Does anyone out there have a good recipe for Caramelized Apples that
doesn't call for lots of sugar (or that can have a sugar substitute
instead)?

I'd guess there is enough sugar in a lot of apples to caramelize just by
baking. A lot of times I'll peel and slice apples like I was going to bake
a pie and just put them in a baking dish with a bit of apple pie seasoning,
a tiny bit of salt and some sprinkled on Splenda if the apples are tart. I
use the brown sugar splenda for this if I have it around. Then I bake them
kind of slow (maybe 325) and stir once in a while to keep the top moist and
keep an eye on them cause I really don't know how long they take to get
done.

Jo

Old June 14th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
. com...

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Wow! First of all, I didn't know they made brown sugar Splenda!! Second, I
didn't think about baking the apples - all the recipes I had said to
caramelize the sugar in a saucepan then add the apples. I will definitely
try this, it sounds like it would work better than the recipes I found,
thanks!!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 14th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-06-13, CatNipped penned:
(and all the recipes I've seen for it are almost all sugar). I'm
sure Lean Cuisine manages to do it without a lot of sugar or it
wouldn't be as low in calories as it is.

Lori, I wouldn't be too sure about that. Sugar is pretty low in
calories.

Ah, I found the calorie content of sugar:

Sugar (Serving size) Calories
Table Sugar, 1 level teaspoon (4g) 15
Table Sugar, 1 heaped teaspoon (6g) 25
Table Sugar, 1 cup 770

And all the recipes I found called for 2 cups of sugar. Since I'm on
a 1200 calorie a day diet (when I bicycle for 1 hour a day, less if I
don't), this wouldn't work for me (no, I *can't* eat just a little! ;).
I like things *sweet*! I use Splenda in my coffee, but I put
in *three tablespoons* before it's sweet enough for me (that's 0
calories for Splenda, but would be 225 calories for sugar!!!) :-0

I used to take sugar in my tea and coffee. I gave it up when I was around
16. It only took 2 weeks or so to lose the taste for it.
I can tell now if someone has used a spoon that has had sugar on it recently
to stir my drink. Ugh.
I cannot eat chocolate, cakes or biscuits any more nor any desserts. Too
sweet.

Tweed

Old June 14th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christina Websell" wrote

I used to take sugar in my tea and coffee. I gave it up when I was around
16. It only took 2 weeks or so to lose the taste for it.
I can tell now if someone has used a spoon that has had sugar on it
recently to stir my drink. Ugh.
I cannot eat chocolate, cakes or biscuits any more nor any desserts. Too
sweet.

I quit sugar around the same age. I can handle grain syrups (except corn) in
small amounts, but those artificial sweeteners I wouldn't touch with a 100'
pole. They're 1000s of times sweeter than white sugar. I once accidentally
ingested a bit of aspartame, and the next morning I felt like I was gonna
turn inside out. Never again!

Request to join the IBCS Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 16 August 29th 05 12:48 PM
Recipe For Making Love - I got my shiny buckle on now. whitershadeofpale Cat anecdotes 0 July 12th 05 05:09 AM
OT Odd request Karen Cat anecdotes 6 June 12th 05 12:50 PM
Attn Phil P: OMH's response to request for Proximate Analysis Karen Cat health & behaviour 9 February 25th 05 10:44 PM