Let's not play!

Old August 23rd 06, 07:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

Default Let's not play!

Tommy still *wants* to play with Eli, and he tries frequently, but all Eli
wants to do is pin Tommy down and give him a bath!

It's starting to look like Eli has a strange compulsion to groom all the
other cats. No one is safe from his tongue anymore. Any cat that walks past
him gets grabbed and licked half to death. And in spite of this, Eli almost
never tosses up any hairballs!

At first it was mainly Beatrice and Baby Eyes he concentrated on but now
he's doing it to everyone (except me - for some reason he won't wash a
hoomin).

What does it mean? Has he been bitten by a love bug? He's the only one who
won't chase the red dot greebling. It seems like he gets impatient when the
others are chasing it and and don't stay in one place long enough for him to
get them clean.

Old August 23rd 06, 07:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tish

I had always understood that this kind of head-grooming was asserting
the groomer's dominance over the groom-ee. Could it be that Eli is
maintaining his position as the dominant boy-cat in the household?

Tish

Old August 23rd 06, 07:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Tish" wrote

I had always understood that this kind of head-grooming was asserting
the groomer's dominance over the groom-ee. Could it be that Eli is
maintaining his position as the dominant boy-cat in the household?

Wow, I didn't know it.... I'm sure - assuming your information sources are
correct - that must be what's going on. He certainly is the dominant cat
here lately. I'm just glad he gave up (knock on wood) spraying indoors.

Old August 25th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M

"Pat" wrote in message
.. .
Tommy still *wants* to play with Eli, and he tries frequently, but all Eli
wants to do is pin Tommy down and give him a bath!

Otis grooms Chester to show Otis' dominance. Could Eli be asserting
himself?

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old August 25th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Susan M" wrote

"Pat" wrote

Tommy still *wants* to play with Eli, and he tries frequently, but all
Eli wants to do is pin Tommy down and give him a bath!

Otis grooms Chester to show Otis' dominance. Could Eli be asserting
himself?

It probably is what's going on, although Tommy is the dominant one as well
as a peacemaker. Tommy is a very secure cat, while Eli is quite the
opposite. I've posted before about how Tommy was letting Eli win fights, I
think to help calm Eli down, so he may now be allowing himself to be the
groomee for the same reason.

Anytime Eli goes after Lily or Abelard (which he still sometimes does,
although with much less vigor than in the past), Tommy comes running and
gives Eli a look that says "Hey, buddy, you lay off of those smaller cats,
or else!"

Old August 25th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:59:44 -0600, "Susan M"
yodeled:

"Pat" wrote in message
. ..
Tommy still *wants* to play with Eli, and he tries frequently, but all Eli
wants to do is pin Tommy down and give him a bath!

Otis grooms Chester to show Otis' dominance. Could Eli be asserting
himself?

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Grooming was always one-way between Mimi and Stinky. Mimi would pin
him down and clean his ears. She didn't show any other signs of
liking him in the least. It was as if she was saying "Look,
someone should clean you, smelly boy, and I'm afraid it has to be me."
Stinky was not allowed to reciprocate, on pains of headbops.

Dante edges towards Stinky and tries to clean his ears, but Stinky
chases him away with hisses and baps. They have such an interesting
relationship.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old August 25th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Tommy still *wants* to play with Eli, and he tries frequently, but all
Eli wants to do is pin Tommy down and give him a bath!

Otis grooms Chester to show Otis' dominance. Could Eli be asserting
himself?

Nocturne won't groom Kumani any more because Kumani won't put up with
Nox's biting and general bitchiness. Kumani protests, and Nox slaps
her...now they just don't groom. Nox and Kumani keep a distance from
one another, and Nox will run Kumani off the pillows if she catches her
there.

Nox grooms Tyche, interspersing nips in between licks and Tyche just
lies there taking it...so Tyche is allowed on the pillow with Nox, etc.

Kumani and Tyche groom one another, though Tyche prefers to be the
groom-ee.

--Fil

Old August 26th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Enfilade wrote:

Nocturne won't groom Kumani any more because Kumani won't put up with
Nox's biting and general bitchiness. Kumani protests, and Nox slaps
her...now they just don't groom. Nox and Kumani keep a distance from
one another, and Nox will run Kumani off the pillows if she catches her
there.

Nox grooms Tyche, interspersing nips in between licks and Tyche just
lies there taking it...so Tyche is allowed on the pillow with Nox, etc.

What a butt-kisser!

Kumani and Tyche groom one another, though Tyche prefers to be the
groom-ee.

And a do-me queen, too.

Joyce
Old August 26th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

What a butt-kisser!

Kumani and Tyche groom one another, though Tyche prefers to be the
groom-ee.

And a do-me queen, too.

Tyche's a tongueslut. Sad but true. Anything to get licked.

She'll even let SMOKEY lick her. I'm sure it must make Nox ill.

--Fil

Old August 26th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Enfilade wrote:
What a butt-kisser!

Kumani and Tyche groom one another, though Tyche prefers to be the
groom-ee.

And a do-me queen, too.

Tyche's a tongueslut. Sad but true. Anything to get licked.

She'll even let SMOKEY lick her. I'm sure it must make Nox ill.

Nikki used to go plop herself down in front of Frank, saying, 'lick me!'
And Frank always did.

Mir and Cali have a much more equal relationship. I guess neither wants
to admit that the other one is the boss. They have long mutual grooming
sessions, though I'd say Miranda does more of the licking. Funny she
should be the dominant one, what with being about half Caliban's size.