I have to say "NO"

Old October 7th 13, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default I have to say "NO"

My neighbor, owned by Fedders (RB) and Schwartzie, called to ask if I
could take care of Schwarty (nickname) while she's gone for a week and a
half, maybe two.

She's moving! Putting her house up for sale and scouting an area closer
to her son, DIL and grandkids.

The problem is, he's a diabetic cat. He needs insulin shots morning and
evening.

I had a hard enough time feeding her cats and getting them in and out of
the house on her schedule. I'm not qualified to give her cat insulin
shots. I will NOT take on that responsibility.

Her proposition is this: I come over for the next four days and be there
while she gives him his shots. Pet him, play with him, give him the
treats before/after. Then give him the shot. She says it will be easy!

Uh, no, it won't. Schwartzie hides from me. Oh sure, sometimes he
shows himself, but often he's under the bed. She was like "But you can
get him out from under the bed!" No, sorry, he only came out when he
felt like it. I'm not willing to put his insulin dependent life in my
hands.

She said he'd get upset about being boarded. Of course he will. Most
cats do. Persia wasn't exactly happy. But I pointed out she was
boarded for *months* before I brought her here. She was well cared for
and she got over it. Persia owns this house now.

I told her sorry, but I cannot be responsible for giving Schwarzie
insulin shots.

Jill
Old October 7th 13, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Sun, 06 Oct 2013 19:16:22 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

I told her sorry, but I cannot be responsible for giving Schwarzie
insulin shots.

I think that's a good call. We had an insulin dependent cat who was
remarkably tolerant but it was still an ordeal. In addition to the
shots, we had to test his blood sugar by poking a needle into his ear,
not an easy process. Then there were inevitable events of low blood
sugar when he didn't eat enough to offset the insulin. His last days
were not pleasant.
Old October 7th 13, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

~~~~~~~
I think you made the right decision. Schwartzie really should be boarded
with a vet. That way, there will be staff who know exactly how to give his
injections. In addition, they can monitor his levels and make adjustments,
if needed.

MaryL

Old October 7th 13, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I'm with you. That's too much responsibility to ask someone else to take.

--
Joy

42.7 % of all statistics are made up on the spot. -- Stephen Wright

Old October 7th 13, 06:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/6/2013 9:31 PM, Joy wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I just don't feel comfortable with it. I don't want to think about how
awful I'd feel if something happened while he was in my care. I felt
bad enough when the deer ate her beautiful blooming hybiscus plants! (I
was cat-sitting and watering her outdoor plants at the time. I went
over one morning, there was nothing left but stems. And some
hoof-prints in the soil.)

Her reasoning for asking me is Schwartzie "knows" me. That's not saying
much. I told her all the trouble I had getting him to go out (as she
requested). After a while I didn't even bother to try. I figured if he
wanted to stay in I can't force him.

He's not the kind of cat you can entice by tapping on a can of FF or
shaking of a bag of kibble. Just because he knows me doesn't mean a
thing. Not when it comes to something as important as insulin shots.

Jill
Old October 7th 13, 07:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 10/6/2013 9:31 PM, Joy wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

You're absolutely right. She's unfair to ask you to do such a thing.

Joy

Old October 7th 13, 08:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/7/2013 2:37 AM, Joy wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 10/6/2013 9:31 PM, Joy wrote:

Her reasoning for asking me is Schwartzie "knows" me. That's not saying
much. I told her all the trouble I had getting him to go out (as she
requested). After a while I didn't even bother to try. I figured if he
wanted to stay in I can't force him.

He's not the kind of cat you can entice by tapping on a can of FF or
shaking of a bag of kibble. Just because he knows me doesn't mean a
thing. Not when it comes to something as important as insulin shots.

Jill

You're absolutely right. She's unfair to ask you to do such a thing.

Joy

I'm pretty sure there are financial considerations involved. Boarding a
cat isn't cheap - that I know from experience. She pretty much told me
she can't afford to live here anymore.

I don't want to sound down on her. I really like her, I do! Yet... for
a few years there I was cat-sitting all the time. She was always going
off on vacations. Oh, not Europe or any really exotic ports of call.
But always travelling.

She had an extensive bathroom remodel a couple of years ago. I *know*
that cost a pretty penny! (I saw the "after" when I was cat-sitting and
the plumber came over to make some final adjustment. She was out of
town so I let him in. Reluctantly.) I really think she just plain
splurged herself out of money.

Oh, and her security system is cutting off her phone calls around 6PM.
I have the same ancient security system. And I had the same problem
last year. I told her, call the security gate, they'll tell you how to
reset the refresh signal on the system.

She suggested I come over and show her what to do... and at the same
time she can show me how she gives Schwartzie his shot! Nope, it's not
going to happen. I can verify the info about resetting the security
system so it doesn't interfere with her phone calls. (That really was a
PITA when it happened to me.) But I'm not giving Schwartzie shots!

Jill
Old October 7th 13, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I completely agree with you. Even if she trained you like she says, it's
one thing for him to allow her to do it, and a completely different thing if
it's you.
I'm sure that you could learn the technique but if he hid and refused to let
you do it it would a terrible worry for you.
I certainly wouldn't take on that kind of responsibility and I think it's a
bit unreasonable of her to expect you to do so and guilt trip you as well
about he'd be upset about being boarded.

I don't know what her options are but he's her cat, she'll have to find a
way.

Tweed

Old October 7th 13, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I have to agree. Feeding a pet while their person is on vacation is one
thing, taking responsibility for medicating one with a chronic illness
is something else again. Much better for the cat to board it with a vet
or licensed kennel that can deal with the medications.
Old October 7th 13, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

MaryL wrote:

~~~~~~~
I think you made the right decision. Schwartzie really should be
boarded with a vet. That way, there will be staff who know exactly how
to give his injections. In addition, they can monitor his levels and
make adjustments, if needed.

MaryL

It's true cats are happier at home than boarding, when their people are
gone. However I've always boarded mine for a few days when I moved. It
makes the move easier for me, with less chaos fro the cats, too. Much
better for all concerned, IMO, to move them into the new place after the
furniture is in place and the major unpacking done.