Cat swollowed ribbon - what to do

Old October 20th 09, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Cat swollowed ribbon - what to do

NOT MY CAT. I'd already be at the vet. This is a friend (Pat) who has
very little money and knows that she might have a lot less soon.

Timmy (male dsh ~20 lbs but big, not fat) swollowed a ribbon -
supposedly paper that will dissolve - two days ago. So far he has been
fine, but Pat says that he has stoppped pooping. There was just a
little poop since Sunday night. It's now Tuesday morning. My vet's
people said the cat really has to come in.

So, I promised Pat that I'd ask in the newsgroup. What to do?

My take: If the cat doesn't poop by the time she comes home, he has to
go to the vet. If he's acting normal, perhaps it can wait until
Wednesday morning so at least he goes to the regular vet instead of
the emergency$$$ vet. At best, they squeeze Timmy and tell Pat that he
isn't backed up and to wait a bit more. At worst they cut him open.

Anyone think otherwise?
Old October 20th 09, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

My take: If the cat doesn't poop by the time she comes home, he has to
go to the vet. If he's acting normal, perhaps it can wait until
Wednesday morning so at least he goes to the regular vet instead of
the emergency$$$ vet. At best, they squeeze Timmy and tell Pat that he
isn't backed up and to wait a bit more. At worst they cut him open.

IMHO, he should go to the vet tonight regardless. It's possible things
could be fine, but if he hasn't defecated lately, there could be an
impaction in his intestines, and the longer you wait, the worse it
will be.

I understand that money might be tight, but it will be even tighter if
they have to rush to the E-vet's during the night.

Old October 21st 09, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Netmask[_2_]

dgk wrote:
[...]

butter and cheese will loosen his bowels so she could try that, but off
to the vet is the safest option.
Old October 21st 09, 05:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 13:28:00 -0400, dgk wrote:
[...]

If they get off their asses and take the cat to a vet, they can
avoid the possibility of having to cut the kitty open.

Treatments such as laxatives can help kitty pass the ribbon with less
danger.
Old October 21st 09, 01:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 23:48:28 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

[...]

Good news on this one. Pat just called and Timmy has dropped a big
poop and peed. So, perhaps all is well. He still needs to be watched
but since it's a one cat household, it's pretty easy to tell if he
pooped somewhere.

This reminds me of the time that my brother left Arlo at my mother's
house while he went away. Things seemed to be going well but no poop
was appearing in the litter box - they were using paper because Arlo
had some sort of problem at the time that ruled out standard litter.
Mom brings Arlo to the vet, who pokes around and decides that Arlo is
pooping somewhere because it isn't in him.

The mystery was solved the next day when the cleaning lady noticed
Arlo leaving the fireplace.