You're very fortunate people here..........

Old October 26th 09, 01:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default You're very fortunate people here..........

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote

Bringing the conversation back down to earth...A suggestion to seek a
second opinion is actually wise advice. We are not suggesting that you go
"vet searching" and seek opinion after opinion. But, just like with
humans, it is good practice to get a second opinion when the first vet
seems to be having difficulty. It is possible that the second vet will
also diagnose inner ear infection, but it is *also* possible that the
second vet will find something that was originally overlooked. This does
not necessarily mean that your current vet did not do a good job. None of
us are perfect, and there are numerous instances when even a small change
in protocol can locate new information. And you are thinking about the
ultimate, final decision--killing your cat. I really cannot understand
doing that without at least seeking a second opinion, and especially for
something that is usually as treatable as inner ear infection.

I know I react emotionally and in ways some people find, err, offensive, but
there it is. I find it offensive that anyone would consider euthanizing when
there are still paths to pursue and they are not even that expensive. To me
it is common sense and a normal heart to do so. Anything else ****es me off.
Thanks for being a calm voice, MaryL. I am sure I will not change, so I kill
file to try to keep the flames to a minimum. I actually don't enjoy getting
upset at this kind of thing, or anything, in fact. I have a feeling this cat
is a goner, for the very reason that it has suffered for this long without
Kelly taking it to another vet. That she could just sit there. FFS. Okay,
time to wrap it up.

Old October 26th 09, 02:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"cybercat" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, I guess it's time to wrap it up simply because I fear that you are
correct. I can't imagine digging my heels in an absolutely refusing to seek
a second opinion simply based on the determination that "it's easy to
diagnose" inner ear infection and therefore supposedly could not be
mistaken. Ironically, it would not cost any more for a second opinion that
it costs to continually go back to the original vet (assuming that the OP
picks up a copy of the cat's records to take to a second vet).

MaryL

Old October 29th 09, 06:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"cybercat" wrote in message

[...]

Have you ever considered a person's financial situation? Not everyone has
the same disposable income as you do. I'm getting the impression the people
on this Group are financially well off to spend freely on stray cats. Don't
judge anyone until you walk in their shoes and I don't say that in a
sarcastic way. :-)

She's doing much better the past 2 days.

Ironically, it would not cost any more for a second opinion.......

See what I mean? :-) The other clinic in our town is so expensive not one
person I know still takes their animals there. Another $100+ for tests,
exam etc may be pocket change for you and your friends. It's a lot of money
to seniors on SS.

Old October 29th 09, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message

"cybercat" wrote in message

[...]

Actually, I do know how it feels to have very limited resources.
Fortunately, that does not apply to me now, but I have very clear memory of
what it was like. I got my first cat when I was a graduate student and was
living entirely on the money I received as a graduate assistant--and that
was a very tiny sum of money. My cat became seriously ill, so I had to take
him on the bus and transfer a few times (no money for a car or taxis), then
walk several more blocks to get to the vet. He needed surgery, and I had to
make arrangements to pay for his care over an extended period of time. It
took more than two years to pay it off. So, believe me, I'm not trying to
make light of anyone's situation when it comes to finances; but this is a
group where we do tend to concentrate on whatever we can do for our
furbabies.

Thank you very much for the update, and thank you for your other message
where you said that you would go to the other clinic if kitty crashes. I
live in a small town, but I am fortunate because there are several good vet
clinics here; and I was even able to take Duffy to a veterinary teaching
college (about 150 miles).

MaryL

Old November 2nd 09, 06:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message

Have you ever considered a person's financial situation? Not everyone has
the same disposable income as you do. I'm getting the impression the
people on this Group are financially well off to spend freely on stray
cats. Don't judge anyone until you walk in their shoes and I don't say
that in a sarcastic way. :-)

snips!

Actually, I do know how it feels to have very limited resources.
Fortunately, that does not apply to me now, but I have very clear memory
of what it was like. I got my first cat when I was a graduate student and
was living entirely on the money I received as a graduate assistant--and
that was a very tiny sum of money. My cat became seriously ill, so I had
to take him on the bus and transfer a few times (no money for a car or
taxis), then walk several more blocks to get to the vet. He needed
surgery, and I had to make arrangements to pay for his care over an
extended period of time. It took more than two years to pay it off. So,
believe me, I'm not trying to make light of anyone's situation when it
comes to finances; but this is a group where we do tend to concentrate on
whatever we can do for our furbabies.

Well she's much better now and sees the vet tomorrow for another follow-up.
Although we can see she's not in pain anymore, she is not normal. She stays
on the floor all the time. She can walk just fine and wants to be petted
"on the floor". She will not sit in our laps or sleep on the sofa or beds.
We think she may be deaf in that one ear and sometimes it appears she can't
see well and judge distances. She'll blunder right into her food bowl
seemingly unaware of that she's doing, then back up to eat. I suppose it'll
take time for her to get back to normal... although we don't know what
"normal" is for her.

Thank you very much for the update, and thank you for your other message
where you said that you would go to the other clinic if kitty crashes. I
live in a small town, but I am fortunate because there are several good
vet clinics here; and I was even able to take Duffy to a veterinary
teaching college (about 150 miles).

It's good that you found a way to do all those things. It's wonderful to be
young...... :-)

MaryL

Old November 2nd 09, 09:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

[...]

Thanks for the update. This is beginning to sound like some neurological
problems, but your vet would be your best source of information on that.

Yes, I guess it's wonderful to be young. On the other hand, it has been a
very long time since I could have been considered "young," and I have also
found some benefits to getting older (as long as I remain healthy!).

MaryL