People Food?

Old May 16th 12, 05:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default People Food?

Persia doesn't usually like people food. It's been unseasonably cool for
the last week in South Carolina so I've had the windows open. I've also
done what little passes for baking in this house, in that I made cornbread.
I had small plate with a wedge of cornbread sitting on the coffee table. I
went to answer the phone and when I walked back into the room, guess which
puss had both her front paws on the table, trying to grab the cornbread?
Hey, goofball! You know better! It was comical. I rarely see her doing
stuff like this.

She did steal a hamburger from me once. I got up to get a napkin... I swear
I wasn't gone 20 seconds. I came back in the room and only the bun was left
on the plate You little dickens!

Jill

Old May 16th 12, 01:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Wed, 16 May 2012 00:06:12 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Persia doesn't usually like people food. It's been unseasonably cool for
the last week in South Carolina so I've had the windows open. I've also
done what little passes for baking in this house, in that I made cornbread.
I had small plate with a wedge of cornbread sitting on the coffee table. I
went to answer the phone and when I walked back into the room, guess which
puss had both her front paws on the table, trying to grab the cornbread?
Hey, goofball! You know better! It was comical. I rarely see her doing
stuff like this.

She did steal a hamburger from me once. I got up to get a napkin... I swear
I wasn't gone 20 seconds. I came back in the room and only the bun was left
on the plate You little dickens!

Jill

Oddly, Scooter, who I just mentioned in another post, really doesn't
eat much human food. The other three are pretty much willing to tray
anything. But cats really do vary greatly in what they like to eat.
Old May 16th 12, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

it does change over time... until we moved back in the house MH wouldn't
touch peo;ple food if he heard one of us, barbi never has touched anything
but kibble chester will try anything, storrmmee wants meat dairy, OEJ will
only eat turkey and beef, trudi only dairy and pork... but trudi used to
only eat sharp cheddar but has advanced in the last couple of years, lol,

Old May 17th 12, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

wrote:

[...]

My present cats have no interest in people food (even bits of chicken or
fish). In the past I've had some who ate such oddities as potato chips,
popcorn and ice cream, and quite a few who liked flavored yogurt (even
lemon, which can be pretty sharp).

I confess I was more than a little disgusted with one clowder, the first
time I served Cornish game hen for a holiday dinner. The recipe said to
allow one bird per person, which I thought was rather a lot, but I
figured I could feed the leftovers to the three resident cats. After
dinner I carefully removed all the leftovers from the bones, to avoid
the danger of splinters. (Quite a job, when we are talking about half a
dozen birds.) The cats certainly seemed eager enough while I was
preparing their dinner, but once I set their bowls down, each of the
three sniffed at the meat suspiciously, turned up their little noses,
and walked away! They didn't eat a single morsel of it! (I would
understand, if it had been exotically seasoned, but they were simply
oven-roasted with a bit of butter and salt!) CATS!!!!
Old May 17th 12, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:06:12 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
Persia doesn't usually like people food. It's been unseasonably cool for
the last week in South Carolina so I've had the windows open. I've also
done what little passes for baking in this house, in that I made cornbread.
I had small plate with a wedge of cornbread sitting on the coffee table. I
went to answer the phone and when I walked back into the room, guess which
puss had both her front paws on the table, trying to grab the cornbread?
Hey, goofball! You know better! It was comical. I rarely see her doing
stuff like this.

She did steal a hamburger from me once. I got up to get a napkin... I swear
I wasn't gone 20 seconds. I came back in the room and only the bun was left
on the plate You little dickens!

Jill

The Princess Rita does NOT like people food, but she insists on sniffing everything that I'm eating. So I let her sniff and usually she leaves me in peace.

One day I got a bag of dried apricots to snack on. Has anyone else ever noticed that People treats and Cat treats tend to come in the same-shaped bag?? Rita's used to her cat treats, and gets all excited when I get out the bag, but this day the bag was bigger and held apricots, and she actually got all upset and howled at me because I was *eating her treats!* Even after I let her sniff inside the bag, she couldn't let go of that idea.
Poor Rita. Life is so hard when you're short, furry, and pampered.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita