What would *you* do?

Old August 7th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

Default What would *you* do?

On 2006-08-06, MaryL penned:

"Micha" wrote in message
If there is no other possibility and if you are driving a fairly
modern car I would take my chance in a head-on collision, either
with the boulder or with an approaching car. This is where modern
cars are designed to give you a maximum protrection with crumple
zones, seat belts and airbags.

In my opinion, you should *never* choose an option to deliberately
run head-on into another car (at least, not at high speed). That
option means that you are now deliberately risking the lives of
other people. I am assuming that this is a conscious decision, and
not a reaction where you didn't realize that you would hit someone
else.

I don't think Micha meant to suggest in any way that one should drive
into another car if there's another option. He was talking about the
physics of the matter.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old August 7th 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

On 2006-08-06, MaryL penned:

"Micha" wrote in message
[...]

This was the last paragraph in Michael's message (and the part of the
message that "inspired" my response): "If there is no other possibility and
if you are driving a fairly modern car I would take my chance in a head-on
collision, either with the boulder or with an approaching car. This is where
modern cars are designed to give you a maximum protrection with crumple
zones, seat belts and airbags."

I realize that this is all hypothetical. However, I remember my driver's ed
teacher saying...all those years ago...that when we are behind the wheel of
a car, we have total responsibility to put our own lives at risk in order to
save others. We are driving what could become a lethal weapon, and we have
no right to use it to save ourselves if we jeopardize someone else in so
doing. Of course, all of this also presumes that ther is enough time to at
least make *some* judgment. Many accidents happen so quickly that we are
really responding with reflex.

MaryL

Old August 7th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

Cheryl Perkins wrote:
Cheryl wrote:
All of the old driving instructions that I remember said that if
you came across a mattress on the road to drive over it. Or am I
remembering wrong? Today is the second time I've seen this - a
vehicle on the side of the road with a mattress wedged between the
tires and the wheel well.

Surely this isn't a common problem? I don't recall ever getting any
instructions on what to do if I saw a mattress in the road. I got
instructions about objects in general - avoid if it's possible to do so
safely.

That's how I got into my last car accident - a truck far ahead dropped
a ladder onto the road. A whole bunch of people stopped, including me,
but the guy behind me didn't. He ran into me full-tilt, ramming me into
the truck in front of me, and ramming *that* truck into the car in
front of him!

I believe it cost him about $10,000 - $6,000 to fix my car, and $4,000
to fix me. My car was only a year old!

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita