Sorry if this offends anyone (OT) - What's up with these religious people?!

Old June 6th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JBHajos

Default Sorry if this offends anyone (OT) - What's up with these religious people?!

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 12:54:31 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

... I was having a glass of wine. He said to me,
"Oh, I see you've been 'into' something." Excuse me?! I'm 47 years old, I
don't need anyone's permission to have a glass of wine.

I think I'd say that Jesus himself not only drank wine but
"created" some at Cana. I've been told that it was really only grape
juice. Excuse me, but I think the wine steward would know the
difference between wine and grape juice!

Jeanne
Old June 6th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:

What is it with these people? They think they can knock on your door and
then try to tell you how to live? There's a reason I'm not into the whole
organized religion thing. This just proves it.

If they only knew how many people they turn OFF with those
tactics! I've never found Presbyterians to be particularly
aggressive in their proselytizing, but it was attending a
Presbyterian-affiliated college that made me part ways with
ALL organized religion until I began pursuing my dream of
being an opera singer, and encountered paying choir jobs.
(My locker at school was right outside the room used for
voluntary early morning chapel every day, and I got more
than a little ticked off by the kids who attended it, then
left discussing how they planned to cheat on the test in
their first hour class!) Not all "fundmentalists" are
hypocrites - some of them actually try to practice the faith
they profess - but unfortunately I've seen too many of the
kind who confuse "God's will" with their own.
Old June 6th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:

Kreisleriana wrote:

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 14:24:56 -0400, Kreisleriana
yodeled:

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 12:54:31 -0500, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

But he came over yesterday to ask if I wanted to attend his church.
Maybe attendance is down; who knows why he's trolling door to door
trying to drum up business. When I said no thank you, he started
to argue with me. Ahem! I didn't invite you over, would you please
get off my patio? It was 5 o'clock in the evening and I was having
a glass of wine. He said to me, "Oh, I see you've been 'into'
something." Excuse me?! I'm 47 years old, I don't need anyone's
permission to have a glass of wine. Did I invite this man over to
invade my privacy and then criticize my actions? I most certainly
did not.

PS, Jill, after reading and replying to your message, I had a
tremendous urge to go to the fridge and pour out a nice glass of white
wine for myself.

Cheers! I just poured one myself and it's not even 2PM here! But it's
plenty hot outside; I even put an ice cube in it! Persia isn't the only one
who can have ice cubes. wink

Like I've said elsewhere, I've nothing against alcoholic
beverages, but where does anyone get the idea they're
COOLING (ice cubes or not)?

Old June 6th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

mlbriggs wrote:

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:54:31 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

A knock at the door yesterday afternoon. There's this guy standing there
with a smile on his face and a young lady (12, 13?) who is scowling; she
never cracked a smile. He said, "Hi, remember me?" Uh, yeah, you're the
guy who bought some clothes from me at the yard sale two years ago." Yep!
That's me!

This guy is a preacher. A minister at some church. I told him 2 years
ago, when he wouldn't pay a lousy $1.50 for a perfectly nice skirt
(alledgedly buying it for one of his parishioners) I wasn't interested in
attending his church.

But he came over yesterday to ask if I wanted to attend his church. Maybe
attendance is down; who knows why he's trolling door to door trying to
drum up business. When I said no thank you, he started to argue with me.
Ahem! I didn't invite you over, would you please get off my patio? It was
5 o'clock in the evening and I was having a glass of wine. He said to me,
"Oh, I see you've been 'into' something." Excuse me?! I'm 47 years old,
I don't need anyone's permission to have a glass of wine. Did I invite
this man over to invade my privacy and then criticize my actions? I most
certainly did not. And that poor young woman, scowling, she didn't look
like she wanted to be here anymore than I wanted them to be here.

What is it with these people? They think they can knock on your door and
then try to tell you how to live? There's a reason I'm not into the whole
organized religion thing. This just proves it.

Jill

It is a good idea to have a peep hole in your door and then don't open the
door if you don't know the person. MLB

If you remember to USE it! I've had one, the last three
paces I've lived (meaning at least ten years) and I NEVER
think to look, first. (I do have a gadget - somewhat more
secure than a "security" chain - that allows me to open the
door only a fraction, but I seldom even REMEMBER I have a
peephole.)
Old June 6th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:

My doors are glass paned. Don't need a peep hole. I did recognize the guy,
that's the only reason I opened the door. Didn't know he was planning to
give me a lecture about my lifestyle, though. As though it's any of his
business. Sheesh!

Jill

Even if you had come to the door falling-down drunk, what
business would it have been of his? ;-)

Old June 6th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

... I was having a glass of wine. He said to me,
"Oh, I see you've been 'into' something." Excuse me?! I'm 47 years old, I
don't need anyone's permission to have a glass of wine.

I think I'd say that Jesus himself not only drank wine but
"created" some at Cana. I've been told that it was really only grape
juice. Excuse me, but I think the wine steward would know the
difference between wine and grape juice!

As would the guests! (Isn't there something about some of
them marveling that "most people serve the best vintages
first, but these folks kept the best for last"?)
Old June 6th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 16:08:25 -0400, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

Kreisleriana wrote:

[...]

They're not, but after a half-dozen, who cares how hot it is?
(Sorry, it's a cliche of a joke, but I couldn't help it.)

I'm reminded of one of my favorite George Burns quotes:

"It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if
it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth."

--
Remember: It it To Laugh

http://tinyurl.com/2a5u8b

Old June 6th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

don't need anyone's permission to have a glass of wine. Did I invite this
man over to invade my privacy and then criticize my actions? I most
certainly did not. And that poor young woman, scowling, she didn't look
like she wanted to be here anymore than I wanted them to be here.

What is it with these people? They think they can knock on your door and
then try to tell you how to live? There's a reason I'm not into the whole
organized religion thing. This just proves it.

Jill

Please don't judge all churches or religious people by offensive idiots like
that.

Joy

Old June 6th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

mlbriggs wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:54:31 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

A knock at the door yesterday afternoon. There's this guy standing
there with a smile on his face and a young lady (12, 13?) who is
scowling; she never cracked a smile. He said, "Hi, remember me?"
Uh, yeah, you're the guy who bought some clothes from me at the yard
sale two years ago." Yep! That's me!

This guy is a preacher. A minister at some church. I told him 2
years ago, when he wouldn't pay a lousy $1.50 for a perfectly nice
skirt (alledgedly buying it for one of his parishioners) I wasn't
interested in attending his church.

But he came over yesterday to ask if I wanted to attend his church.
Maybe attendance is down; who knows why he's trolling door to door
trying to drum up business. When I said no thank you, he started to
argue with me. Ahem! I didn't invite you over, would you please get
off my patio? It was 5 o'clock in the evening and I was having a
[...]

One should NOT be forced to hide in their own home. I fully understand the
moment some people feel about their religious beliefs but they also need to
understand simple courtesy. When I say I am not interested in this
discussion they need to leave BEFORE I get angry. Most religious people DO
show respect for other beliefs the rest are just plain asses.

Andy
Old June 6th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

jmcquown wrote:

Kreisleriana wrote:

[...]

OR famous saying of W.C.Fields: "A man has to believe in something --
I believe i"ll have another drink!' MLB