Oh, lord, what have I done?

Old July 17th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JBHajos

Default Oh, lord, what have I done?

As I grow older, I'm much more selfish and less brave than before. I
have sworn that there will never be another cat in this house after
Hobo goes to RB.

When we lived in Florida we had eight kitties. It broke our hearts
when the we lost the first (jaw cancer) and I still remember thinking
later while watching the remaining cats "Oh, God, we have to go
through this seven more times!" Horrifying thought, how could we do
it? So what happened? We allowed strays Speckles and Hobo to adopt
us from the streets. *Nine* more losses to get through! We loved
each and every one equally. Focus on the love and enjoyment, silly!
So we did. Wonderful years with all of them.

When we moved here from Florida, only three remained - Custard, Hobo,
and Speckles. Custard left us a few years later, at 19 years. Each
loss was excruciating, as you all well know. Speckles broke my heart
again when she died last fall and our love for the nine departed is
now concentrated solely on Hobo - sick with diabetes, hypertension,
and kidney problems. We know his leaving us will tear our souls out,
and I pledged that he is our last cat. No more. Couldn't stand
another, selfish as it may be.

So what have I done? Earlier this year, I posted that my daughter is
moving to Budapest, Hungary, and is heartbroken that she has to leave
her five kitties behind. She's looking for homes for them. I
half-heartedly said I might take one, maybe. She's now ready to sell
her house and e-mailed me to see if I'd take D-Day or Widget. Sure,
I'll take them both!! She told me D-Day is terrified of Widget who
attacks her. I thought D-Day might like one of her cohorts to keep
her company and help her adjust. I'd take Hoover, who's the oldest
and sickly, and Barney with whom D-Day gets along fine. Strumpet is
mostly outdoors and mostly with their neighbors across the street so
he's got a home now and Stephanie hopes she can find one for Widget.

Oh, lord, what have I done? Will Hobo get along now that he's a
"single" and king-of-the-hill? ( Good thing there's been an RPCA
thread about integrating kitties.) Would other cats be happy here as
indoor-only kitties after years of being free to roam? Have I lost my
mind? *No* *more* *cats* I say, *no* *more* *cats*!!

Oh, well, as they say, a house without a cat is not a home.

Jeanne

Old July 17th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

GOOD CAT SLAVE
Welcome to slave hood

Jeannie You know why it hurts so much. It means you care and you treat
them like your children. Every one that I have ever lost . It felt as my
heart was ripped out would I ever give up being a slave never. The cost of
slave hood is worth ever tear and heart ache.

The only time I will ever not have a furball in my life is when I get to old
to even to care of myself and know that I will go before them but still will
beg the nursing home to have some

Old July 17th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"JBHajos" wrote in message
[...]

It's a wonderful thing that you've done and I hope it all works out fine for
Hobo.
I can't offer any advice about whether the cats will be happy or whether you
have lost your mind ;-) At least they will have a kind home and that's the
most important thing.

Tweed

Old July 18th 07, 11:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley via CatKB.com

Takayuki wrote:
It does sound like it'll be a big
change for Hobo, and for you. I hope that he'll eventually enjoy
having kitty friends again.

If he's used to having other cats around he might be happier. Last year I
posted a similar situation where a friend of mine, Jim, had always had cats
but was down to his last kitty, Benj when little Molly needed a home. Jim
thought Benj missed having a playmate but now says he didn't realise how much
Benj must have been missing company because from day one with Molly, he's
been a completely different cat than he had been for a while. He's 12 and he
had been getting lazy but now he bounces around like a kitten!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old July 19th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

JBHajos wrote:

As I grow older, I'm much more selfish and less brave than before. I
have sworn that there will never be another cat in this house after
Hobo goes to RB.

snip
Oh, well, as they say, a house without a cat is not a home.

Jeanne

You've done a wonderful thing.
Purrs,
Polonca and Soncek

Old July 29th 07, 08:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

JBHajos wrote:

Oh, well, as they say, a house without a cat is not a home.

Good for you, Jeanne!

Old July 29th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 17, 11:04 am, (JBHajos) wrote:
[...]

It's hard to say "no" when your kids need you. (Or, your kids' cats)
.. But who knows? Maybe it's a
"meant to be" thing.
Good luck with the integration!
Sherry

GOOD LORD!!! Pat Cat anecdotes 12 March 5th 07 07:28 PM
My lord & masters' prayer Exocat Cat anecdotes 1 March 6th 06 02:50 PM
Lord Save Us... CatNipped Cat anecdotes 5 December 4th 05 03:43 AM
Requiem for Lord Amber (RB) CatNipped Cat anecdotes 101 August 23rd 04 08:41 AM