[OT] Painted Toenails

Old June 22nd 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Painted Toenails

CatNipped wrote:
The bikini wax thread got me thinking about how many "habits" I
acquired growing up that are shared by younger women...

Besides shaving, waxing, or plucking any hair not aesthetically
required (by my generation), I also *ALWAYS* paint my toenails. Even
when I don't have my fingernails painted (which I very seldom do
because in my line of work they don't last an hour before being
chipped and, IHO, chipped nail polish looks *MUCH* worse than bare
nails), I still have my toenails painted. I wouldn't be caught dead
in bare toenails - it was absolutely *REQUIRED* that you paint your
toenails before wearing sandals or going to the beach (or really at
any time your toes might be in view by anyone) when I was growing up.

How about you gals, how many of you keep your toenails painted at all
times?

Yes, definitely. I can't stand the sight of my feet without toenail
polish on. They look naked somehow. In Thailand I was getting regular
pedicures, although I eventually stopped getting them painted in the
salon because I figured out a way to make the polish last way longer if
I did it myself.
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old June 22nd 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:

How about you gals, how many of you keep your toenails painted
at all times?

Nobody ever looks at my toes. I have to wear good walking shoes at
all times or I get backaches. No slinky open-toed girl shoes for me!

At least you can buy decent-looking walking shoes these days. Remember
when people had to wear "orthopedic" shoes, those big clunkers? I
guess some folks still have to wear them, but I sure hope they make
them a little more attractive than they used to!

Joyce
Old June 22nd 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl wrote:

A pedicure is the most relaxing thing

Just wondering, how much is a pedicure? I'd have to adjust for
regional differences, of course (everything in my area is much
more expensive, except fresh produce), but it would give me an
idea.

I often do my own pedicures. This involves "sanding" the calluses
off my heels and the balls of my feet. I'm sure I'm burning calories
when I do this - it works up quite a sweat! No wonder people get
others to do it for them. Also, I clip my toenails, of course, but
I don't paint them, because as I said already, nobody else sees
them. Then I slather on a really good softening cream.

It might be nice to lie back and have someone do it for me - if it's
not too exorbitant.

Not only do I have my toes painted,
but right now I have hand-painted black and white cat silhouettes on
my big toenails. With little rhinestone eyes.

Wow, that's amazing! Those rhinestones are either *really* small, or
you have huge toenails!! But in any case, how cute! JPGS!

Joyce
Old June 22nd 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl wrote:

Among the other things she's going
to ban (the CEO is a female) is bare legs, capri length pants, and
the worst part of all, any pants outfit must be a suit - no more
blouses or tops with dress pants unless it has a suit jacket.
Ridiculous. As an employee-owned company, the dress code was
business-casual. There are other rumors that they're going to do away
with casual Friday.

Oh, give me a break. What is the point of this? Are they bringing in
important, high-paying clients or something? Or is this woman just on
a big power trip? Sounds really obnoxious. I think people should be
comfortable while they work. Why should you have to spend 8 hours a
day in a suit?? (Unless your work requires it, that is.) What do you
do for work, by the way?

Where I work, they don't allow jeans. Now that might sound like a
minor complaint, and it is, but it's still quite unusual for a high
tech company, especially if you're doing a techie job and not dealing
directly with customers. In many places in the Silicon Valley area,
software types wear shorts and sandals to work with ratty t-shirts.

After I got this job I had to buy several new pairs of pants so I
could comply with the dress code, since all I had was jeans, and one
or two much too dressy "interview" outfits. I've ended up pretty
comfy in what I wear, so I don't really have any complaints.

Joyce
Old June 22nd 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl wrote:
On Wed 21 Jun 2006 09:09:12p, Monique Y. Mudama wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

On 2006-06-22, Cheryl penned:

I found out recently that the new corp owner of our
company is going to ban open- toed shoes soon, and absolutely
no sandals. I'm so bummed.

Is that for safety reasons, or just to mess with people?

I think the latter. The building is a typical office building, so I
can't think of any safety issues. Among the other things she's going
to ban (the CEO is a female) is bare legs, capri length pants, and
the worst part of all, any pants outfit must be a suit - no more
blouses or tops with dress pants unless it has a suit jacket.
Ridiculous. As an employee-owned company, the dress code was
business-casual. There are other rumors that they're going to do away
with casual Friday.

WTF?!? All those things are totally ridiculous. I bet morale will
plummet if they implement this.

Old June 22nd 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Painted Toenails

wrote in message
oups.com...

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Hugs,

CatNipped

Weird you brought it up. Because I painted my toenails for the first
time *in my whole life* a couple weeks ago.
I never, ever wore sandals or flip-flops because I thought my feet were
too ugly. One day I looked around and figured out that a whole lot
people have uglier feet than me, and it wasn't stopping them from cool
and comfortable footwear. I'm hooked now. I won't put on a pair of
socks until November.

You haven't seen ugly feet until you have been around here.

Almost everyone wears a minimum of footwear especially in the summer and
often year round, unless protective shoes are required for their work.

If some eighty year old guy who looks like he did field work most of his
life wants to wear sandals or flip flops more power to him. And believe me
no racial or ethnic group has a corner on ugly feet.

Besides if people with REALLY ugly feet can be comfortable, than so can
everyone else.

Jo

Old June 22nd 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Wed 21 Jun 2006 09:37:51p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

Cheryl wrote:

A pedicure is the most relaxing thing

Just wondering, how much is a pedicure? I'd have to adjust for
regional differences, of course (everything in my area is much
more expensive, except fresh produce), but it would give me an
idea.

I'm in the DC area, so things are expensive here, too. There are
two types of pedicures - a full and a "mini". The full pedicure
includes a blade of some sort that shaves off dead skin on
calluses, not just sanding them. It can be a little painful later,
but you end up with really smooth feet. I don't do that because it
makes them just a little too tender, and anything you step on
barefooted really hurts. I can't recall the price of a full
pedicure because it's been years, but the mini where I go is $23
and that includes polish. You sit in a massaging chair that
vibrates while you soak your feet and wait for the manicurist (at
my place they do both your feet and your nails at the same time; I
have acrylics - not super long ones because I work on a computer
all day). They clean, trim, shape and buff your toenails, sand and
lotion your feet and legs and apply polish. IMO it is well worth
it. My feet end up looking nice, and it's a relaxing break in the
day.

Not only do I have my toes painted,
but right now I have hand-painted black and white cat
silhouettes on my big toenails. With little rhinestone eyes.

Wow, that's amazing! Those rhinestones are either *really*
small, or you have huge toenails!! But in any case, how cute!
JPGS!

ROTFL! Oh no way. Not putting up pics of my feet on the net.
hehehehe Seriously, though, I'd have to have a friend take the
pics because when I look down, the cats are oriented opposite my
view; they were painted to be recognizable if you were facing me.
BTW, the rhinestones are tiny. Chips, really. I think the design
was meant for Halloween, but I had her add a little white into the
black cat design and I just love it, reminds me of Shamrock.
It's about time for a redo, so the cats are going to be gone soon.

--
Cheryl
Old June 22nd 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

I bow to your sartorial dedication, Catnipped. =o) I keep my toenails
trimmed, and I wash my feet when ever I take a shower. Sometimes I put
lotion on them if they are too rough and dry. That is the extent of the
care my feet get! One problem for me is having VERY ticklish feet,
and putting cotton between my toes in order to paint my nails is an
ordeal. I don't wear fingernail polish for the same reasons you don't
wear it.

I exercise, attempt to modify my eating habits for the sake of health,
keep myself clean, wear clean clothes, shave my legs, try to keep my
eyebrows from looking too Cro Magnon, and I wear makeup to work. Oh
yes, and I brush my hair although it's sorely in need of a cut and
perm, at this point. But I'm definitely not a woman who spends half an
hour getting ready to go out on a ten minute errand.

Melissa

Old June 22nd 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 18:54:34 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

The bikini wax thread got me thinking about how many "habits" I acquired
growing up that are shared by younger women...

Besides shaving, waxing, or plucking any hair not aesthetically required (by
my generation), I also *ALWAYS* paint my toenails. Even when I don't have
my fingernails painted (which I very seldom do because in my line of work
they don't last an hour before being chipped and, IHO, chipped nail polish
looks *MUCH* worse than bare nails), I still have my toenails painted. I
wouldn't be caught dead in bare toenails - it was absolutely *REQUIRED* that
you paint your toenails before wearing sandals or going to the beach (or
really at any time your toes might be in view by anyone) when I was growing
up.

How about you gals, how many of you keep your toenails painted at all times?

I used to have a pedicure every month. Not quite as good as sex, but
close!!! However, back then I lived in the city and wore sandals
all the time and the polish would look good for almost the entire
month. Now, since I'm a country girl, wearing sandals all the time is
downright dangerous (think fire ants, snakes, scorpions, etc...). So
now I don't bother. I tried doing it myself a few times but it looked
like I had dipped my feet in a can of paint!! So I don't have painted
nails anymore, but sure would like to!!

--Kim
Old June 22nd 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Wed 21 Jun 2006 09:42:57p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

Oh, give me a break. What is the point of this?

I wish I knew.

Are they
bringing in important, high-paying clients or something? Or is
this woman just on a big power trip? Sounds really obnoxious. I
think people should be comfortable while they work. Why should
you have to spend 8 hours a day in a suit?? (Unless your work
requires it, that is.) What do you do for work, by the way?

It sounds to me like she has serious issues with women baring skin.
Or maybe she thinks that women who bare skin are doing so to
"flaunt it"? I have no idea. I know plenty of women where I work
that dress professionally in skirts that don't wear nylons in the
summer - nylons evil and they're hot. I hate them. I also don't
like to wear a dress or skirt without them. So, I don't wear
dresses to work.

I am a systems analyst -- I am the technical lead for server side
software implementations of an enterprise search engine. And I am
technical lead for a recent custom implementation of content
management software. I don't meet personally with outside clients
often, and there's no reason for me to have a business dress code,
unless I have to attend a conference. When I do, I don't need to be
told how to dress.

Where I work, they don't allow jeans. Now that might sound like
a minor complaint, and it is, but it's still quite unusual for a
high tech company, especially if you're doing a techie job and
not dealing directly with customers. In many places in the
Silicon Valley area, software types wear shorts and sandals to
work with ratty t-shirts.

That's what I keep saying. We're techies, and techies dress casual.
Up until recently, my job would have me chasing cables and other
things that would get you dirty. My job hasn't changed that much,
but I don't deal as much with hardware lately.

After I got this job I had to buy several new pairs of pants so
I could comply with the dress code, since all I had was jeans,
and one or two much too dressy "interview" outfits. I've ended
up pretty comfy in what I wear, so I don't really have any
complaints.

If the rumors of the up-coming dress code is true, I'll have to go
on a shopping spree that I can't afford right now. I wish I had
confidence enough to just look for another job. But I'm 43 and a
techie.

--
Cheryl