Daisy's Complicated Allergy/Meds Problem

Old January 26th 07, 11:15 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Spot

Default Daisy's Complicated Allergy/Meds Problem

If the litter box smells it shouldn't. Are you using scoopable cat litter?
I have 3 cats who use a box with scoopable litter and I clean it twice a day
my house doesn't smell and neither does the litter box except right after
they use it. Clean it more often is the answer to this.

Celeste

"sdavies6" wrote in message
I assume you would discourage the use of air freheneers or deodorizers.
What would you use to cover up the smell of a litter box, or other normal
but otherwise offensive household smells? I assume spraying the air with
lysol is a no-no.

"Spot" wrote in message
OK..........clean the place up with a good vacumning. Stop burning the
inscence, use only vinegar and water to clean with (ie scrubbing floors &
counters), no arerosols, don't use carpet deodorizes cut out anything
that she could be having a reaction to and see if it clears up. If not
then I would suggest changing foods Fancy Feast is a good one to go with
for cats who have allergies since it doesn't have all that garbage in
that the other manufacturers put in. If the Fancy Feast doesn't work I
would try a precscription diet from the vets office.

Celeste

"sdavies6" wrote in message
My Daisy is a 4 year old Snowshoe Siamese. She lives in my small studio
aprtment with her brother Mickey. Daisy is a timid cat and she often
growls (deep gutteral growling) and hisses at Mickey. Sometimes he
deserves it, as he throws her off the cat tree. Other times he is
simply walking by her. Yet, much of the time they co-exist peacefully,
although not lovingly as they did when they were kittens.

A few months ago I noticed a small patch of lost hair and raw skin on
her neck, just below her chin at the uppermost part of her neck she
could reach with her tounge. Within a few days it got larger and
uglier, as she licked at it incessently. I took her to the vet and they
took a culture to test for ringworm and gave me an antibiotic to give
her. Taking her to the vet was traumatic for the both of us. Both she
and her brother hide from other people and it was the first time in
years she was confronted by another human. Surprisingly, she seemed so
frightened that she was very docile and easily examined. I was
absolutely amazed. Giving her meds is a very difficult experience for
both of us. She is not easily handled and if she wants to hide behind
the bed, It can't be done.

I brought her back after a week when it got no better. Both vets on
duty looked at her and consulted. They concluded that she had an
allergic reaction (alopcia, something) and that it was in an unusual
place on her body. They made me cut out all fish from her diet, and to
examine all cans of food for fish products, even beef foods.
(Surprisingly, a turkey food can sometimes be mixed with fish) They
prescribed a steriod cortisone pill dexamethosone? First, they gave her
a strong shot of it. Then I gave her a half pill every day for three
doses, then every other day for three more times then every third day
for three more times. Luckily, I found a perfect way to give her the
pill. She loves little pieces of grilled cheese. So, I crush the pill
up and roll it on a piece of cheese and she eats and licks it from my
finger. Unfortunately, I have to have a grilled cheese sandwhich every
few days.

Within a few weeks she was almost 100%. The spot got smaller and
smaller and would occassionally scab up. The scab fell off and the skin
underneath healed and then a smaller scab, etc. The hair started
growing back. Then, she had a small set back and I was told to continue
the regiment, although I had come to the end of our original
prescription.

So, two weeks later she is 100%, all the hair is back and the spot
non-existent. Then, last night, after not having medicine for 4 or 5
days, she starts licking it raw again.

I am very stressed out and concerned about this whole affair. She has
undoubtedly increased her appetite and water intake, so I am worried the
drugs could bring on Diabetes. Although, the water intake is not
outrageous. She has become a bit more docile, and for that I'm happy,
although, it really isn't her way and it bothers me.

The vet says she may have to stay on a low dose cortisone forever,
although not necessarily this one. She says she may be allergic to
something else, dust or perfume in the kitty litter. If its dust, then
we're all out of luck, as I am a bachelor and could NEVER clean this
place sufficiently. There is no perfume in the litter, but I told the
vet I do burn incense, and she said that might be the culprit. I also
thought the problem might be stress related from the other cat, but the
vet said the culture indicated an allergy.

So, I am concerned about a host of things, and worried, and very tired
of eating grilled cheese sandwiches. Anyone out there have any ideas,
support, anecdotes, etc., that might help me and Daisy through this. If
she gets Diabetes from the drugs, it would be catostrophic, as I am not
living the kind of lifestyle where I could give her the constant care
she would need. I do not like the idea of her on meds forever,
especially strong meds. I hate seeing her lick herself raw.

Old January 27th 07, 05:16 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Jeffrey Kaplan

It is alleged that Spot claimed:

OK..........clean the place up with a good vacumning. Stop burning the
inscence, use only vinegar and water to clean with (ie scrubbing floors &
counters), no arerosols, don't use carpet deodorizes cut out anything that
she could be having a reaction to and see if it clears up. If not then I
would suggest changing foods Fancy Feast is a good one to go with for cats
who have allergies since it doesn't have all that garbage in that the other
manufacturers put in. If the Fancy Feast doesn't work I would try a
precscription diet from the vets office.

And change cat litters. Look for "Yesterday's News" or "PaPURR"
brands. They're made of recycled papers and formed into pellets.
Absolutely no dust, and better at absorbing cat pee than any clay
litter.

One I found at the local grocery store, the other I've only found at
the large pet supply places (Petco).

My cat's vet recommended it, and I love the stuff. My cat (Delany)
never blinked at the change of litter.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #28.
My pet monster will be kept in a secure cage from which it cannot
escape and into which I could not accidentally stumble.
Old January 27th 07, 05:19 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Jeffrey Kaplan

It is alleged that Rhonda claimed:

They make a treat called Pill Pockets that has a little hole in it to
insert a pill. That worked on our cat a few times when the pill was
small. I had to feed him an extra one first so he didn't suspect anything.

I've also used Whiskers Lickin' moist treats, broken them in two and
molded it around the pill. It can be more tricky because it can be
crumbly, you have to mold it around and really squeeze it together.

I eventually resorted to just hiding the pill in Delany's wet/canned
food.

Also, see if the meds are available as a liquid. It's easier to get a
cat to swallow a liquid squirted into its mouth than a pill.

Old January 27th 07, 05:45 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Rhonda

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
It is alleged that Rhonda claimed:

They make a treat called Pill Pockets that has a little hole in it to
insert a pill. That worked on our cat a few times when the pill was
small. I had to feed him an extra one first so he didn't suspect anything.

I've also used Whiskers Lickin' moist treats, broken them in two and
molded it around the pill. It can be more tricky because it can be
crumbly, you have to mold it around and really squeeze it together.

I eventually resorted to just hiding the pill in Delany's wet/canned
food.

You're lucky. Abernathy finds the pill every time.

Rhonda

Old January 27th 07, 05:47 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Rhonda

Did you consider switching to the limited ingredient food?

Our cat developed his food allergies after being on the same food for years.

Rhonda

sdavies6 wrote:
Thanks to all with your suggestions. I'll respond to all here.

As for the cleanliness of my house, I unerstand how it came off. I live in
a small cramped studio apt. in NYC, for the past 30years. There are a
million places I cannot get to except for special occassions. Like my old
entertainment unit which I took apart to upgrade equipment and had years of
dust in the back, and similar other places a cat can get into which I rarely
do. I've had cats here for 30 years, these are my third pair. None have
ever been allergic to anything, let alone the dust. So, it came as a
surprise when Daisy, who I got as a rescue with her brother since they were
10 weeks, suddenly exhibited an allergic reaction on her neck, just two
months shy of her 4th birthday. BTW, they were never feral. They were born
in captivity.

I'm not as concerned with litter over the few days, as I do clean it
regularly. Sometimes, they can really stink up th eplace, especially if it
isn't burried. For that matter, I can too. I was just wondering what an
acceptable deodorant would be, if I am keeping away from aerosals.

The pill pockets worked for two doses. After that she looked at it , and if
a cat could snicker, you know that's what she was doing.

I'm really concerned about not finding the root cause of this, and having to
possibly keep her on these meds for a long time. I'll speak to my vet about
those injectable meds that were mentioned.\

Thanks again.

Old January 27th 07, 03:52 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
sdavies6

I'll ask my vet if he thinks the change of cat litter is a good thing, both
for odor and perhaps the dust. I've always used Hartz Mountian, without any
perfumes or anything else.

Squirting a liquid into her mouth would be fine, if I could catch her. She
instinctively knows when I'm up to something, and she won't go near me. For
a week after her first shot and subsequent med doses she became fairly
docile and I could go over to her, put pills in her mouth, or whatever.
However, she's not as docile anymore and I need a reliable method. (I'm
glad she's not as docile. While I prefer her when I can approach her on my
terms -- she'll always come over on her terms -- I don't like the idea of
her being in a drug imposed stupor). As the meds became more regular and
less often, she became more of the old Daisy. It seems that the only thing
I can count on is her coming to me when I eat grilled cheese. Kinda
comical, but it works.

Old January 27th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Veloise

sdavies6 wrote:
Squirting a liquid into her mouth would be fine, if I could catch her. She
instinctively knows when I'm up to something, and she won't go near me. For
a week after her first shot and subsequent med doses she became fairly
docile and I could go over to her, put pills in her mouth, or whatever.
However, she's not as docile anymore and I need a reliable method. (I'm
glad she's not as docile. While I prefer her when I can approach her on my
terms -- she'll always come over on her terms -- I don't like the idea of
her being in a drug imposed stupor). As the meds became more regular and
less often, she became more of the old Daisy. It seems that the only thing
I can count on is her coming to me when I eat grilled cheese. Kinda
comical, but it works.

My Blanchie wised up to me when she was on a regimen of meds. I think
it helps to add catnip, playtime, and non-invasive stuff (skritchy
mousie noises on a paper bag). She'll let me do her nails with no
protests; it took a while to get there.

Would Daisy benefit from an Elizabethan collar?

HTH

--Karen D.

Old January 28th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
sdavies6

Again, thanks for the response. Daisy and her brother Mickey do not like
catnip; unbelievable, but true. Do her nails???? HAH! Every six months I
wrestle her into a cat bag, specifically made for such a thing. No
Elizabethan collar for two reasons. One, the collar would wrap around the
wound, and two; it would freak out her and her brother.

For now, keeping her on the low dose drug works, but I'm not at all happy
about this for the long run.

"Veloise" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 28th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Jeffrey Kaplan

It is alleged that sdavies6 claimed:

Again, thanks for the response. Daisy and her brother Mickey do not like
catnip; unbelievable, but true. Do her nails???? HAH! Every six months I
wrestle her into a cat bag, specifically made for such a thing. No

Needs to be done more frequently, and bribed with treats after.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #203.
I will not employ an evil wizard if he has a sleazy mustache.