Help with rescue, please

Old August 11th 04, 07:53 PM
Judith Umbria

Default Help with rescue, please

I have searched for help on how to save a kitten about 4 weeks old whose
mother was found dead two days ago, but have found very little that is
useful. We didn't find the kitten until today.
I am in Italy and there is no formula, no kitten bottle, none of the things
mentioned in the rescue docs online. What can I do? There are also no
rescue organizations except in Rome, far far away.
The poor thing won't eat from a saucer. I forced about 3 demitasse spoons
of warmed skimmed milk down it, but it wouldn't take soaked catfood at all.
The emergency formulas say they won't permanently support growth... so what
to feed it? I do recall a vet telling me to supplement milk for weaners
with baby food chicken or turkey, so tomorrow I can buy some.
I cleaned it with a warm, wet cottonball. It is sitting in my lap on a
towel because it otherwise yells continuously, but it poops as it wishes and
wherever it is. I tried to introduce it to a good mom cat who was related
to its mom, but she just spat at it, as did all the other cats.
It is thin, has a round tummy which is flaccid. It walks well, ears are up,
has teeth but still has a round head.
I will be so grateful for any help at all. I cannot bear to think of the
poor thing starving.

Old August 11th 04, 08:16 PM
Aimee S

Here is a formula that you can make at home, I've used it several times
and the kittens do really well on it.
Also wanted to mention, I always kept hot water bottles, covered with a
towel to keep them warm. Any kind of bottle will do, I used soda
bottles.

Okay here's the formula, I wish you the very best of luck

One 12 ounce can of Evaporated Skim cows milk, One 4 ounce can
evaporated whole cows milk, one 4 ounce container of plain yogurt and
three egg yolks. Mix well and strain. I always give it to them warm -
let them think it's coming right from Mom...what do they know????
I use droppers to feed the kittens, I like them better than bottles.

And I have found a recipe for a pedialite substitute:

4 1/4 C. Water. 2 tsp. sugar - you can add up to eight for flavor. 1/2
tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp baking soda. This is good to have on hand for
babies that are getting dehydrated or showing signs of URI.

Old August 11th 04, 09:16 PM
Sharon Talbert

Try the Campus Cats website for a formula recipe based on goats milk.
Even straight goats milk will do in the short term. If the kitten is 4
weeks or more, though, you can go straight to solid food (the website has
suggestions for that as well).

The kitten needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible, though; surely
there is a vet in your area who can evaluate the kitten's condition and
help get it going on solid food. Dehydration is a real danger for this
baby, as well as starvation.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
http://www.campuscats.org

Old August 11th 04, 09:19 PM
Sharon Talbert

Hey, Aimee; thanks for the pedialyte formula!

Our vet uses bottle of warm water to help keep babies comfortable, too.
They tend to use gallon milk cartons or the like, which are flat-sided and
less likely to roll.

Old August 12th 04, 08:03 AM
Judith Umbria

"Samantha G." wrote in message
om...
"Judith Umbria" wrote in message

I have searched for help on how to save a kitten about 4 weeks old whose
mother was found dead two days ago, but have found very little that is
useful. We didn't find the kitten until today.
I am in Italy and there is no formula, no kitten bottle, none of the

things
mentioned in the rescue docs online. What can I do? There are also no
rescue organizations except in Rome, far far away.

I don't know how reliable this is, but it will work in a pinch (it is
definitely better than nothing) As for a bottle, if you can find a
baby bottle with a working nipple, use it. If you have a small glass
similar in shape to a bottle and a plastic food storage bag, you can
make what is called a 'sugar tit' (sorry about sp) Cut a very small
hole in the corner of the bag ( it should be the kind you store frozen
food in as plastic is thicker and doesn't tear as easy, doesnt matter
how it closes) If you put water in the bag it should drip out but not
run. Then place the bag over the glass with the cut corner over the
top of the glass (filled with milk replacement). Pull the bag fairly
tight over the top of the glass and twist the excess bag around the
bottom of the glass.

I took this milk recipe from one of the many websites that I visited
after finding my own rescued kitten, and I am sorry but I cannot
remember which one it was.

"I am including a formula recipe that can be made from things bought
at your local 7-11 store, just in case you find a baby when the pet
stores aren't open:
One 12-ounce can of Evaporated Skim cow's milk, One 4 ounce can
evaporated whole cows milk, one 4-ounce container of plain yogurt and
three egg yolks. Mix well and strain. I always give it to them warm -
let them think it's coming right from Mom...what do they know????
They're happy, I'm happy and it's usually a nice ending."

Good luck with your kitten, I hope that all goes well.

Looks very bad. It simply will not eat. Or drink the homemade pedialyte.
It simply shakes its head and sends it everywhere.
I never thought much about not finding evaporated milk in the supermarkets,
but it is reality. Why do we find it essential and the Italians don't use
it? Hmmm.
The vet opens about 10:30 and if the kitten lasts till then I will take it
in, but it is shakier and shakier and doesn't cry as loud, although I have
continued to get a few drops of formula and water into it as I could.

Old August 12th 04, 03:49 PM
Samantha G.

Looks very bad. It simply will not eat. Or drink the homemade pedialyte.
It simply shakes its head and sends it everywhere.

Have you tried baby food? Without onions. If it is getting weak, at
this point I would try to feed it just about anything that it would
eat, maybe potted meat or something similar, they tend to love the
smell. I'm sure it's not good for their tummy(so please, nobody fuss
at me), but at the starvation point, I will try anything with a little
one. I think your biggest concern should be getting it to drink. I
found with mine, I had to wrap her in a cloth very tight so that she
couldn't wiggle, and hold them as close to flat on the belly as you
can, if necessary hold it up until you get it to take the formula,
then quickly change it's position. Once you have them wrapped up,
wait for the crying to start, then use the bottle, or whatever to drop
milk in its mouth. Once might tasted it, I had to literally take the
bottle away when she had enough.

You may have to let it play and wear itself out, I have found that
with an older kitten that has been with its mom, it is their instinct
to fight you. Check for dehydration by pinching the skin gently at
the back of its neck and pulling it away from the neck(very gently!),
if it doesn't spring right back withina second or two, the kitty is
dehydrated, forget about formula, and get as much of the pedialyte
into him as you can.

I have also known kittens of this age to greive themselves to death
because of the loss of their mother. You also do not know what it
might have been exposed to, it may have gotten something from the
mother. Sometimes there is simply nothing you can do. Definitely get
it to a vet, but if he doesn't make it, don't blame yourself. It
sound to me like you have done just about everything you can.