Cats and Human Food

Old January 19th 05, 08:55 AM
vicky

Default Cats and Human Food

Hello everyone,

I have two 12 week old adorable bundles of chaos, who like most kittens
are into everything and anything (regardless of whether they are
supposed to be or not. I have had cats before but never ones who will
actually seek me out to try to eat my food (and I mean whatever you
eat!) I have tried feeding them at the same time as me, but they will
often still try to eat mine - I suppose they realise that I am not
going to steal theirs!! Has anyone else found this, as it seems quite
unusual to me!

Vicky

Old January 19th 05, 11:13 AM
Yowie

"vicky" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello everyone,

I have two 12 week old adorable bundles of chaos, who like most kittens
are into everything and anything (regardless of whether they are
supposed to be or not. I have had cats before but never ones who will
actually seek me out to try to eat my food (and I mean whatever you
eat!) I have tried feeding them at the same time as me, but they will
often still try to eat mine - I suppose they realise that I am not
going to steal theirs!! Has anyone else found this, as it seems quite
unusual to me!

Hello Vicky. Fine name you have there (I too am a Vicky - short for
Victoria).

Some cats just dig people food. You've just been lucky so far that your
previous owners have not been overly interested in the stuff, but I've read
in this group of a cat that used to peer inside their slave's mouth to try
and gt at the peice of hame their slave just swallowed.

Perhaps you just have an "interesting" kitten.

Welcome to the group, BTW, and looking forward to hearing more about your
hoomin food mooching kitty.

Yowie

Old January 19th 05, 08:16 PM
jmcquown

vicky wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have two 12 week old adorable bundles of chaos, who like most
kittens are into everything and anything (regardless of whether they
are supposed to be or not. I have had cats before but never ones who
will actually seek me out to try to eat my food (and I mean whatever
you eat!)

(snippage)
Vicky

I'd never really been around cats until Persia adopted me in 2001. She's
not normally very insistent I give her any of my food, but sometimes she
gets "grabby". She snatched a piece of melba toast out of my hand not long
ago and nearly choked on it. I had to give her the Heimlich maneuver. So
I'd say all cats seem to be different but be careful what people food they
get to eat.

Jill

Old January 20th 05, 11:07 AM
Kilikini

"vicky" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello everyone,

I have two 12 week old adorable bundles of chaos, who like most kittens
are into everything and anything (regardless of whether they are
supposed to be or not. I have had cats before but never ones who will
actually seek me out to try to eat my food (and I mean whatever you
eat!) I have tried feeding them at the same time as me, but they will
often still try to eat mine - I suppose they realise that I am not
going to steal theirs!! Has anyone else found this, as it seems quite
unusual to me!

Vicky

Mine kitties used to do that to, but many gentle nudges off my lap with the
word "no" has worked! They still beg every time I'm cooking something, but
now that my kitties are about 4 weeks older than yours, they're figuring out
that they'll get my leftovers when I'm DONE. (I still feed them bits from
my plate though. g.)

kili

Old January 20th 05, 12:42 PM
O J

Kilikini wrote:

Mine kitties used to do that to, but many gentle nudges off my lap with the
word "no" has worked! They still beg every time I'm cooking something, but
now that my kitties are about 4 weeks older than yours, they're figuring out
that they'll get my leftovers when I'm DONE. (I still feed them bits from
my plate though. g.)

I've got just the opposite problem, it's the old one, not a kitten who
needs their kitty-manners adjusted. My six are well behaved most of
the time, but my twenty-one year old Lady Jane Grey knows that I can't
help spoiling her. The others will beg politely if they want a taste,
as when I was eating some ham just the other day. Since I was eating
at my desk though, and since she's allowed up there most of the time,
it was all I could do to keep her from sticking her nose right in my
plate. Oh well, I know that some day soon I'll be wishing she was
there, but she'll be gone.

It's always nice when someone new joins us to share and talk about
their kitties. Welcome.

Regards and Purrs,
O J Gritmon