Finally caught him

Old November 15th 03, 01:30 AM
Surelyyoujest

Default Finally caught him

It has taken close to two years but finally, perseverance has paid off and I
managed to capture (carrying case baited with shrimp) a stray tom that has
been eating in my yard for two years. We reached a point where he permitted
me to pet him and he arched and enjoyed it. He also talked to me so I have
hope that some of his terror subsided. It has been heart wrenching to watch
him over the past years. Deep wounds to his ear and neck area which never
healed. He also appears to be quite deaf. As suspected, terrible ear mites.
Blood panel shows him to be very healthy and perhaps 8-10 years old. Teeth
not bad. Apparently he was terribly aggressive at vet but he was neutered
today, wormed and treated for ear mites. Frontline, bath, etc. World's most
expensive stray.
Now the problem. I own three house cats. All declawed and fixed. I am aware
that it will take a mighty effort to incorporate him into household. (Three
dogs too). I plan on keeping him crated in a large bathroom until he learns
to use the litterbox (apparently he considers it a bed at the vet). Also
until he returns to his timid but willing to be pals self. Any advise would
be welcome. I figure the worst case scenario is that I return him to the
yard with all his shots, no more suffering due to ear mites etc. Not the
best of choices but always an out. He did have two seizures while at the
doctor but the cause remains unknown and I suspect it might have been the
trauma combined with raging ear mite infection which threw him off kilter.
TIA

Old November 15th 03, 01:59 AM
m. L. Briggs

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 00:30:49 GMT, "Surelyyoujest"
wrote:

[...]

Good luck and best wishes for the success of your efforts. Purrs for
Old Puss that he will adapt quickly.MLB
Old November 15th 03, 02:25 AM
Chris

I just captured a stray I was feeding for a couple of years. I put him in
my bathroom, uncrated & waited to see if he would use the box. I had mixed
in some dirt from the area he hung around in. He did not go for almost a
day but that night, when all lights were out he went right to it & has used
it ever since! (about 1 1/2 weeks). I used a small rubber box with a larger
tray underneath as he stands outside, digs around, goes in to do his
business, & then stands outside to cover--just like on the outside. Most
cats are pretty sharp about using the box as they basically mimic behavior
in wild--pick a spot! By the way, I've noticed that most cats in cages at
shelter or vet do lie in box--not sure how this helps to train them.

My guy was a little tough at the vet & had to be sedated but has been fine
here. He is spooked by common noises but likes to sit in the bathroom
looking out though he can only go into a bedroom from there.

He is going to a permanent home tomorrow with folks who I believe will have
the patience needed. He also likes to be petted but not picked up yet.
Good luck.

Old November 18th 03, 01:12 AM
Sharon Talbert

I hope this guy was combo-tested; he is a likely candidate for FIV. Good
luck with him; this big guys can really tug at the heartstrings.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
www.campuscats.org

Old November 19th 03, 11:46 PM
Surelyyoujest

Old Rhubarb spent week at vet. Had two seizures (nothing shows
neurologically) and actually went into a coma and had to have life support
attached to him. He had complete blood panels, wormings, horrible ear mites
infestation which was treated repeatedly , wound treatments, neutering, etc.
Could have bought a good used car for the money. LOL. His blood work was
excellent and he seems very healthy considering his trauma.
A most furious cat, he came home yesterday, and is currently ensconced in
bathroom. He is eating like mad, drinking like mad and happily hiding in cat
cozy cube.He is completely deaf but I believe he will come around when his
hormones settle down and he realizes he is in for a posh life. Although he
is very fearful, he was pretty friendly after a year of grubbing food and
allowed petting and was quite vocal about getting his meals on time.
So far, looks like a new personage has entered the household. It will take
weeks before we are friends and I allow him to even see the other cats
although he was friendly with neighbors cats. Time will tell.

Old November 20th 03, 06:06 PM
Priscilla H Ballou

Surelyyoujest quoth:
[...]

Old Rhubarb has lucked out! Thanks for the encouraging story.

Priscilla