OT. New neighbours again

Old December 24th 11, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default OT. New neighbours again

They came round with a solution.
"We've decided that we will let you get your car out if you will agree to
let us do this.. build a 6ft 1 wall in front of your kitchen window and they
gave me something to sign.
I was quite kind and took their letter and said I might have have to let a
solicitor see this.
I have been in touch with the council about having my own drop kerb and when
I get this permission (which I will) I will do this so they cannot ever
block me in.

Old December 24th 11, 08:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

so its been a set up from the beginning, i would take pictures every single
time anything arises, oh do be careful, Lee

Old December 24th 11, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_8_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

They came round with a solution.
"We've decided that we will let you get your car out if you will agree
to let us do this.. build a 6ft 1 wall in front of your kitchen window
and they gave me something to sign.
I was quite kind and took their letter and said I might have have to
let a solicitor see this.
I have been in touch with the council about having my own drop kerb
and when I get this permission (which I will) I will do this so they
cannot ever block me in.

What a bunch of a@@holes! Screw them and their "solution".

Bobble

Old December 24th 11, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
trubble

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 02:47:01 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

They came round with a solution.
"We've decided that we will let you get your car out if you will agree to
let us do this.. build a 6ft 1 wall in front of your kitchen window and they
gave me something to sign.
I was quite kind and took their letter and said I might have have to let a
solicitor see this.
I have been in touch with the council about having my own drop kerb and when
I get this permission (which I will) I will do this so they cannot ever
block me in.

Rather than having the existing curb removed and replaced with a 'low
spot' you can drive your car over, would it be possible to simply have
some hot asphalt put down to make a short 'ramp'?

I've seen where this has been done, and if the existing curb isn't too
high, it does work very well, at a SMALL fraction of the cost of
removing the existing curb, etc.

I have bought bags of cold asphalt mix at a building supply store that
would work; they were 40 lb (18 KG). It's work to put it in, and
probably not as durable as hot asphalt, but probably would cost less
than $100, and only take a few hours to put into place, at most.

If it was me, I would just DO this. But, I live in America, where the
local government would probably THANK me.
Old December 25th 11, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote:

[...]

Dunno about the law there, but a ramp (whether by asphalt, rubber or
metal) is in the 'grey' area of whether its technically a driveway or not.

And whether its considered under law as a driveway or not is important
because, at least here, its illegal to park a car on the street so as it
is across or partially across the driveway (in fact, the car has to be 1
metre or more away from either side of the driveway). But its
'debatable' whether blocking access via ramps is legally the same as
blocking access via a driveway.

Therefore the neighbours may still be able to park in the street across
the place she put the ramps, depending on how the law classifies the
ramps. With a dropped kerb, the legal status crystal clear: they cannot
park across it.

Note: Here, if its your driveway into your property, whilst the exact
same law applies to your own driveway if you park in the street (ie, you
cannot park across or partially across your own driveway) you can still
park *in* it (ie, off the road, on your property).

As much as it sucks, it seems putting in your own dropped kerb and
therefore needing nothing and having nothing to do with the neighbours
is the best strategy.

Yowie
Old December 25th 11, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

[...]

The same America where performing any sort of construction on one's property
without a permit can get one into trouble with the law? Where the streets
are public property, and extending a ramp out into the street is almost
certainly illegal?

Joy

Old December 25th 11, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

[...]

No, you would not want to build on your own property without a permit. (1)
It can cause damages to your property that of your neighbors as well as your
person or family if the builder does not have the proper license and
insurance. Digging in the wrong area can zap an underground electric grid --
don't we all love blackouts -- or hit a water main which can flood the
neighborhood. Your neighbors will be ever so grateful (and YOU have to pay
for the repairs). (2) If you build a wall improperly, and later sell the
house and the wall collapses on the next tenant and kills his child, you
might face civil and/or criminal prosecution; (3) Imagine if I did not ask
for a permit but added a shiny new hammered bronze roof to my house, and
when the sun hit my roof the entire neighborhood would be blinded by the
glare from my new shiny roof. I'm sure you'd then thank those people who
require permits and detailed construction plans before allowing you to build
on your own properrty.

This is also the same America where "easements" exist. We lived in a house
where my neighbor was landlocked, and had no driveway out into the street.
My deed said that an "easemaent " had been created many years ago, whereby I
had to let him use my driveway in order to drive from his driveway onto the
street. We always had nice neighbors, and it would not occur to me to block
them any more than it would occur to them to build a wall next to my kitchen
window.

I wonder if the law in your country does not mandate that the neighbors need
to allow you to leave your property if their property somehow blocks yours.
Certainly in the US if they blocked you, I think you could file charges for
illegal detention, interfering with your right to drive to work, etc.

Have you consulted a lawyer? Sometimes it's expensive but can solve a lot of
problems.

Jay

Old December 25th 11, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"J J Levin" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

[...]

My country is the US, and I am not the person with the problem.

Joy

Old December 25th 11, 05:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

"Joy" wrote in message
"J J Levin" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

[...]

I am aware. I'm sorry, I should have made it clear that my suggestion
regarding a lawyer was intended for the person with the problem, who
apparently does not reside in the US. My comments re the need for building
permits was really a defense of the need for permits and proper licenses to
build. I once paid $300.00 for a town permit to permit me to upgrade the
electrical system in my old house. I was not pleased, it's a lot of money,
but the electrician who obtained the permit, and gave me a bill saying it
was done according to code, did absolutely the correct thing to protect
himself and myself. I apologize for the confusion.

Jay

Old December 25th 11, 06:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
trubble

wrote:

[...]

Yes, well block *MY* ramp, at *YOUR* peril. End of problem.

Therefore the neighbours may still be able to park in the street across
the place she put the ramps, depending on how the law classifies the
ramps. With a dropped kerb, the legal status crystal clear: they cannot
park across it.

Note: Here, if its your driveway into your property, whilst the exact
same law applies to your own driveway if you park in the street (ie, you
cannot park across or partially across your own driveway) you can still
park *in* it (ie, off the road, on your property).

As much as it sucks, it seems putting in your own dropped kerb and
therefore needing nothing and having nothing to do with the neighbours
is the best strategy.

Yowie

I can tell you it would be a cold day in hell, before a nasty neighbor
cost me thousands of (dollars OR pounds) without the most severe of
repercussions.

Often, when dealing with assholes, it is best to settle things outside
of the courts, where logic and RIGHT prevails, and not who has the most
expensive lawyer...or solicitor, as you call them.

Assholes need to be dealt with in a manner that they deserve.