Hard to write, harder to decide

Old July 21st 03, 12:51 AM
MacCandace

From An Old Cat
- Darleen Daniels
Cheyenne, Wyoming

Wow, how beautiful. I've never seen that before.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

Old July 21st 03, 02:34 AM
Mary

Who am I to play God? But who am I not to provide the compassion of death
over suffering? But there might not be any suffering. But there already is
suffering!

If this were my cat, I would call your sister and set an appt to administer the
shot at home. I would make the best meal in the world for your little kitty,
even things that are bad for her like tuna in oil and fancy feast. I'd let her
eat, I'd pet her all she likes then when she has her after meal nap, I'd give
her the shot to let her die mercifcully with dignity. If you let her get worse,
she and you will feel bad and have horrible last memories. If I'd known about
my cat's horrible cancer, I would have made him a great meal a few days before
he showed any signs. I would have played with him all he wanted, pet him...then
let him go to sleep while he was feeling good and happy. My prayers are with
you both.

Old July 26th 03, 07:58 AM
guynoir

Learn from your cat. She is teaching you how to die.

Some day you’ll be a drooling vegetable in a nursing home, probably
alone and friendless except for the paid attendant who changes your diapers.

Or maybe you won’t be friendless. But maybe when you’ve reached your
dotage, the laws and medical ethics will have changed, and your friend
will be faced with the same decision regarding you that you now have
with your cat.

Walter M. Miller Jr. wrote an excellent argument covering your exact
situation in his book "A Canticle for Leibowitz". To briefly recap: One
of the characters had an injured, dying cat. He decided to put it out
of its misery, but the cat did not concur with his decision. He ended
up shooting his cat several times as it crawled away trying to escape
him. You can imagine the mental trauma, both for him and the cat, and
yet if he’d killed the cat more efficiently, he wouldn’t have had to
question his motivation in killing it. Whose suffering was he trying to
end?

Don’t kill your cat, let her suffer. She can handle it. You can handle
it too.

Fiat Voluntas Tua

David S. wrote:
Can't sleep anyway.