Do It Yourself Vet Practices for Strays.

Old October 28th 05, 08:20 PM
whitershadeofpale

Default Do It Yourself Vet Practices for Strays.

Wow, I just got an idea.

I have 3-4 strays who do eat regularly outside my door, they have come
to depend on it. They won't let me pet them, but they hide out in the
bushes waiting for the food everynight.

If there was one single thing I could do for them to improve thier
health, I wonder what that might be?

For example, I used to administer, parvo and distempor shots to my 2
large dogs. I think it cost me $5.00 per doggie, I bought the shot
mixture at the Feed and Seed. Only the vet gave them the Rabies since
it required a liscense.

Isn't there some basic immunities I could bolster, once I am able to
handle these strays?

Old October 29th 05, 03:03 AM
whitershadeofpale

whitershadeofpale wrote:

http://www.jefferspet.com/

These folk have a whole gaggle full of vaccines, that you don't need a
prescription to get.

You have to create an account to even look around (which I did)

I searched for "cat vaccine"

It returned

Eclipse 3
Eclipse 4
Fel-O-Vax Lv-K®
Fel-O-Vax LvK® IV
Fel-O-Vax PCT
Feline Focus™ 5
Felocell® 4 (formerly Felocell® CVR-C)

etc... two pages worth plus the descriptions.

From 3.95 for one dose, up to $300.00 for quantity doses.

Anyone give shots to their cats?

Course, I have no clue as to WHAT a fresh stray needs...
but hell, at 4 dollars a pop, I'll vaccinate the whole neighborhood!

Hell yeah!

Old October 29th 05, 07:00 AM
whitershadeofpale

whitershadeofpale wrote:

Hell yeah!

If anyone is interested, I also know a site where you can buy blow dart
supplies...

just spike the dart with the vaccine, see a stray coming down the
street

thwooopt! Cat is vaccinated!

No criminal, no crime.

Old October 29th 05, 11:53 AM
Wendy

"whitershadeofpale" wrote in message
ups.com...
Wow, I just got an idea.

I have 3-4 strays who do eat regularly outside my door, they have come
to depend on it. They won't let me pet them, but they hide out in the
bushes waiting for the food everynight.

If there was one single thing I could do for them to improve thier
health, I wonder what that might be?

For example, I used to administer, parvo and distempor shots to my 2
large dogs. I think it cost me $5.00 per doggie, I bought the shot
mixture at the Feed and Seed. Only the vet gave them the Rabies since
it required a liscense.

Isn't there some basic immunities I could bolster, once I am able to
handle these strays?

There are groups who provide financial assistance to pay the vet bill. Try
doing a web search and see if there is something like that available in your
area. If there is then get the cat to the vet to at least get an accurate
diagnosis. You can't get one here as 1/ to my knowledge there aren't any
vets that post here and 2/ nobody can actually see the cat to even try to
guess at a diagnosis.

If you put the wrong medication in the eye you could exacerbate the problem.

Hope you can get help for your kitty.

Old October 29th 05, 12:20 PM
-L.

whitershadeofpale wrote:
whitershadeofpale wrote:

http://www.jefferspet.com/

These folk have a whole gaggle full of vaccines, that you don't need a
prescription to get.

You have to create an account to even look around (which I did)

I searched for "cat vaccine"

It returned

Eclipse 3
Eclipse 4
Fel-O-Vax Lv-K®
Fel-O-Vax LvK® IV
Fel-O-Vax PCT
Feline Focus™ 5
Felocell® 4 (formerly Felocell® CVR-C)

etc... two pages worth plus the descriptions.

From 3.95 for one dose, up to $300.00 for quantity doses.

Anyone give shots to their cats?

Yes. There is a midline nerve that runs the length of the hind leg, so
you have to know what you are doing.

Front-right shoulder - FVRCP (subQ)
Right-rear leg - rabies (IM)
Front-left shoulder FeLV (subQ)

Course, I have no clue as to WHAT a fresh stray needs...
but hell, at 4 dollars a pop, I'll vaccinate the whole neighborhood!

Hell yeah!

They really need to be tested for FeLV and FIV before you vaccinate.

-L.

Old October 29th 05, 04:21 PM
whitershadeofpale

Wendy wrote:

There are groups who provide financial assistance to pay the vet bill. Try
doing a web search and see if there is something like that available in your
area. If there is then get the cat to the vet to at least get an accurate
diagnosis. You can't get one here as 1/ to my knowledge there aren't any
vets that post here and 2/ nobody can actually see the cat to even try to
guess at a diagnosis.

If you put the wrong medication in the eye you could exacerbate the problem.

Hope you can get help for your kitty.

Weezersfrnd has the cat with one eye

but I hear ya on the other stuff...

Like Lyn says, you gotta know what you're doing? well count me out!
I am willing to learn in order to help strays at a much lower cost per
cat.

I understand that an initial vet visit and std vaccines can cost around
$100.00 per cat, laying aside charitable groups who might discount for
helping strays.

I do find it odd that no-one gives thier cats std vaccine shots.
For example Megan who has 63 cats, you would think she would get the
vet to show her how to administer the simplest shots. I'm sure she
already gets volume discounts.

Seems like I'm reading some vaccines can be given through an inhaler?

Of course I would never try anything without say...a vet, show me, and
or watch me the first few times.

For my dogs (back in the day)... it was the difference between $50
bucks, v.s. $5.00 and the shot I gave them took all of 1 minute. (I
would inject a liquid into a powder, shake it, draw it back into the
needle, and stick them behind the neck where the skin was thick)...our
vet had showed me how.

Lyn is scaring me with those specific places that would need to be
stuck.

( I was barely able to get Ruprecht to swallow a pill )

Old October 29th 05, 09:22 PM
No More Retail

wow that is alot for your area all shots check up and neutering $45 cat $50
dogs her in Orlando shots are like $15 or less when done separately here we
have a clip coupon book that always have coupons for cheap spaying and shots
thru reputable vets

what areaar you in I will try and locate a program or shelter that will help
http://www.snapofpa.org/index.html
http://www.snap123.org/

Old October 30th 05, 07:01 AM
whitershadeofpale

No More Retail wrote:
wow that is alot for your area all shots check up and neutering $45 cat $50
dogs her in Orlando shots are like $15 or less when done separately here we
have a clip coupon book that always have coupons for cheap spaying and shots
thru reputable vets

what areaar you in I will try and locate a program or shelter that will help
http://www.snapofpa.org/index.html
http://www.snap123.org/

Well thanks! I did get a reference for a vet who works from her home.
Allegedly she's around half the norm for around here.

I will check her out.

I've been waiting for a certain stray to return. This particular one
will come inside. I'm going to quarintine her till I get her to the
vet. I hear tell this stray has got that nasty womans disease.

Old October 31st 05, 04:38 AM
Phil P.

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Front-right shoulder - FVRCP (subQ)
Right-rear leg - rabies (IM)
Front-left shoulder FeLV (subQ)

Please don't encourage people- especially that idiot to vaccinate cats
himself- he'll probably hit a nerve and paralyze the poor cat. The thought
of him sticking a needle in a cat- or even being near s cat- scares the
hell out me.

Any cat can develop an adverse effect- or even full blown anaphylatic shock-
from *any* vaccine. So, unless a person has been trained in treating
adverse reactions and anaphylaxis they should not be administering
vaccines.

Btw, FeLV should be administered in the left *rear leg* as distally as
possible- not in the shoulder.

(See AAFP Vaccination Guidlines)
http://www.maxshouse.com/aafp_vaccin...recommenda.htm

Phil

Old October 31st 05, 09:52 AM
-L.

Phil P. wrote:
"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Front-right shoulder - FVRCP (subQ)
Right-rear leg - rabies (IM)
Front-left shoulder FeLV (subQ)

Please don't encourage people- especially that idiot t

I don't consider Barry an idiot. I like Barry, despite his goofiness
and mistakes (Yes, even Ruprecht). A lot of what he posts is just
banter.

o vaccinate cats
himself- he'll probably hit a nerve and paralyze the poor cat. The thought
of him sticking a needle in a cat- or even being near s cat- scares the
hell out me.

Any cat can develop an adverse effect- or even full blown anaphylatic shock-
from *any* vaccine.

Full-blown anaphylaxis from vaccines is rare, though.

So, unless a person has been trained in treating
adverse reactions and anaphylaxis they should not be administering
vaccines.

A stray or feral vaccinated is better than not, IMO. You have to weigh
the pros and cons of doing it vs. not doing it - and IMO that's a
personal choice. I just wanted him to know that if he chose to do
so, he had to know what he was doing because he could cause damage.

Btw, FeLV should be administered in the left *rear leg* as distally as
possible- not in the shoulder.

(See AAFP Vaccination Guidlines)
http://www.maxshouse.com/aafp_vaccin...recommenda.htm

Correct - I remembered it wrong. Haven't done vaccines for awhile.
Prolly should have double checked before I posted that. Sorry.

-L.