Feral cat - how to continue?

Old May 24th 05, 09:08 PM

Default Feral cat - how to continue?

I don't know what to do with a cat I picked up three months ago. Harold
& Maude were found at a local restaurant dumpster this winter as small
kittens. They were taken in by one of the employees, who called me in
March because they were still not letting her touch them. We caught
Harold by putting food in a carrier but had to trap Maude. I believe
both to be somewhere between 7-9 months at this point. Harold has made
great progress and immediately comes out to be petted and played with
when I come into 'their' room. Maude has gone from being scared-shy
(1st month) to being scared-defensive. She is literally scared to death
of people. Her eyes dilate and move rapidly when I cross the imaginary
6-foot boundary. At 3 feet she hisses and any closer she swats.
Occasionally when I catch her by surprise, I can pet her in the basket
they both sleep in, but her whole body twitches when I touch her.

In theory, I have found an outdoor home for Maude on farm with several
other cats (everyone's FIV/FelV tested and altered). Given her fear,
I'm afraid that she'll simply take off never to be seen again once she
is released, even if we cage her for a few weeks after the re-location
so she gets used to the environment. Thoughts, ideas?

Petra

Old May 24th 05, 11:08 PM

I didn't see that this was crossposted. See my response to you in health
and behavior.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke