Cat Life Expectancy and a death...

Old August 17th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Default Cat Life Expectancy and a death...

T wrote:

I think it depends on who you ask. My 17 year old indoor cat Randy would
have to disagree on your limit. Our vet says it's not uncommon for house
cats to live up to 20-22 years.

Yes, that may be true, but "not uncommon" is very different from
"average life expectancy."

Most things I've read say 12-14 is an average life expectancy. Some die
younger, some older!

Rhonda

Old August 17th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail Futoran

"Rhonda" wrote in message
T wrote:

I think it depends on who you ask. My 17 year old indoor cat Randy would
have to disagree on your limit. Our vet says it's not uncommon for house
cats to live up to 20-22 years.

Yes, that may be true, but "not uncommon" is very different from "average
life expectancy."

Most things I've read say 12-14 is an average life expectancy. Some die
younger, some older!

Rhonda

Very small sample here, but:
-2 cats acquired in 1967 died at 18 years of age
The last 9 years of their lives they were indoor-
outdoor cats (in at night). I knew zip about
premium foods, fed mostly grocery store
food until a vet put them on C/D at age 15.

-3 cats acquired in 1985 died at 15, 16 and
almost 19. The 18+ year old spent the last 5
years of her life fighting epilepsy. They were
indoor-outdoor cats in their early years,
mostly indoor in their later years.

I still believe if I had known more about
senior nutrition needs, the 15 & 16 year old
cats might have lived longer. The longest
lived cat (the one with epilepsy) was put on
K/D by our vet after the other two died (she
was the youngest of the three) and she was
the only cat that died of something other
than kidney disease.

Gail F.
near San Antonio TX USA