Person adopts kitten from shelter later returns it saying it "got big"

Old October 6th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
stonej

Default Person adopts kitten from shelter later returns it saying it "got big"

True story. A person adopted a kitten from the local Humane Society
but later returned it
saying they didn't want it anymore since it got "big". Well hello!!
Little kittens are awfully cute
that is for sure but they do grow into adult cats, they don't stay
kittens forever.

What a world.

Old October 6th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

Not an unusual story. We heard one kid in the store say that he only liked
little kittens. He and his mom were in looking to adopt one. Needless to say
they didn't get one from us.

oups.com...

Old October 6th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail Futoran

"Wendy" wrote in message
Not an unusual story. We heard one kid in the store say that he only liked
little kittens. He and his mom were in looking to adopt one. Needless to
say they didn't get one from us.

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
True story. A person adopted a kitten from the local Humane Society
but later returned it
saying they didn't want it anymore since it got "big". Well hello!!
Little kittens are awfully cute
that is for sure but they do grow into adult cats, they don't stay
kittens forever.

What a world.

I was in a shelter yesterday checking out their cats. They had several
three week old kittens. Very cute. They said a family had come in earlier
looking for young kittens but rejected the three week old kittens as not
young enough! Strange...

Gail F.
Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

Old October 6th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Polish-Kraut

I was in a shelter yesterday checking out their cats. They had several
three week old kittens. Very cute. They said a family had come in earlier
looking for young kittens but rejected the three week old kittens as not
young enough! Strange...

If someone is adopting out 3 weeks old kittens they should be checked
out themselves. 3 weeks is too young to be putting kittens up for
adoption.

Old October 6th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Magic Mood JeepŠ

In ,
Gail Futoran purred:
"Wendy" wrote in message
Not an unusual story. We heard one kid in the store say that he only
liked little kittens. He and his mom were in looking to adopt one.
Needless to say they didn't get one from us.

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
True story. A person adopted a kitten from the local Humane Society
but later returned it
saying they didn't want it anymore since it got "big". Well
hello!! Little kittens are awfully cute
that is for sure but they do grow into adult cats, they don't stay
kittens forever.

What a world.

I was in a shelter yesterday checking out their cats. They had
several three week old kittens. Very cute. They said a family had
come in earlier looking for young kittens but rejected the three week
old kittens as not young enough! Strange...

Gail F.
Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

Unfortunately, they were probably looking for snake food or bait for the
pitt bull...

Old October 6th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"Wendy" wrote in message
Not an unusual story. We heard one kid in the store say that he only
liked
little kittens. He and his mom were in looking to adopt one. Needless to
say they didn't get one from us.

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
True story. A person adopted a kitten from the local Humane Society
but later returned it
saying they didn't want it anymore since it got "big". Well hello!!
Little kittens are awfully cute
that is for sure but they do grow into adult cats, they don't stay
kittens forever.

What a world.

I was in a shelter yesterday checking out their cats. They had several
three week old kittens. Very cute. They said a family had come in
earlier
looking for young kittens but rejected the three week old kittens as not
young enough! Strange...

Gail F.
Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

OMG who in their right mind adopts out 3 week old kittens. They shouldn't
even be weaned at that age!

Old October 6th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail Futoran

"Magic Mood JeepŠ" wrote in message
In ,
Gail Futoran purred:
"Wendy" wrote in message
Not an unusual story. We heard one kid in the store say that he only
liked little kittens. He and his mom were in looking to adopt one.
Needless to say they didn't get one from us.

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
True story. A person adopted a kitten from the local Humane Society
but later returned it
saying they didn't want it anymore since it got "big". Well
hello!! Little kittens are awfully cute
that is for sure but they do grow into adult cats, they don't stay
kittens forever.

What a world.

I was in a shelter yesterday checking out their cats. They had
several three week old kittens. Very cute. They said a family had
come in earlier looking for young kittens but rejected the three week
old kittens as not young enough! Strange...

Gail F.
Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

Unfortunately, they were probably looking for snake food or bait for the
pitt bull...

Yeah. My comment to the shelter staff was: "What, where they looking for
python food?" Which was probably not a nice thing to say, but realistic.

Gail F.

Old October 6th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail Futoran

"The Polish-Kraut" wrote in message

I was in a shelter yesterday checking out their cats. They had several
three week old kittens. Very cute. They said a family had come in
earlier
looking for young kittens but rejected the three week old kittens as not
young enough! Strange...

If someone is adopting out 3 weeks old kittens they should be checked
out themselves. 3 weeks is too young to be putting kittens up for
adoption.

Let me clarify: The shelter wasn't adopting out those kittens because they
were too young. The shelter personnel recounted the story because they were
as dumbfounded as I was that someone would want kittens even younger.

Having said that, however, many humane societies around where I live
function without facilities, and instead use foster homes. So "adopting
out" even young kittens to a home where they know the kittens will be
properly cared for is sometimes the only way the kittens will survive.

Gail F.
Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa
Southcentral TX USA

Old October 6th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
True story. A person adopted a kitten from the local Humane Society
but later returned it
saying they didn't want it anymore since it got "big". Well hello!!
Little kittens are awfully cute
that is for sure but they do grow into adult cats, they don't stay
kittens forever.

What a world.

Yes, and young cats eventually become elderly cats (at least, we hope so).
People should carefully consider whether they can and will take care of all
the needs of their furbabies as they age. The shelter I adopted Duffy from
had some specific questions on the adoption questionnaire asking how I would
care from him if he became sick and as he aged. I think that's commendable!
Some people resent what they see as "intrusive" questions, but I think they
are an absolute necessity.

MaryL