Miss Pua

Old February 11th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rhonda

Default Darker markings on pointed cats (was: Miss Pua)

Takayuki wrote:
"kilikini" wrote:

Takayuki wrote:

Her fur and markings have really come in. She's an extremely
beautiful cat. How wonderful to have her following you, and those big
eyes watching you!

Thanks! I've heard as Meezers get older, more markings come through. Do
you know if this is true?

It seems to be true for all pointed cats - Himmies, Ragdolls, etc.

I meant to add a post to this long ago, and forgot!

What I've heard about pointed cats is that their markings are
heat-sensitive. Their points are always the darker areas because there
is less circulation (or heat) in those areas.

My theory is that when a pointed cat gets older, they tend to get darker
in general because their circulation slows down. Our last siamese got
darker in her later years, her body color and her points. She also had a
large cyst on her shoulder that was filled with a watery substance that
the vet really didn't want to remove at her age. It was harmless but
really stuck out. That area turned very dark brown too, being away from
the body. She developed another "point."

Two of the kittens born to our last stray were tan. I'd never seen a
yellowish/tan cat before. Well, within 24 hours, they started developing
points! I think they were nice and warm inside mom and in the real
world, the temperature dropped.

Rhonda

Old February 11th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rhonda

Default Miss Pua

kilikini wrote:
wrote:

Do you still have a "before" photo of Pua? I don't remember what she
looked like when you first took her in, and I'd be interested in
seeing the transformation.

Joyce

I have more pictures, but this one is probably one of the most dramatic.
She looks about dead.

http://i18.tinypic.com/2ztiqmt.jpg

kili

That is hard to look at, kili. I remember when she showed up at your
house and you loved her immediately.

The "after" picture is gorgeous. She was in that body all of the time,
just waiting to come out.

You should send that story in to that Borders animal rescue book thing
that Karen posted about. You and Pua would win top honors, hands down.

Rhonda

Old February 12th 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 20:12:41 +0000, Rhonda wrote:

Takayuki wrote:
"kilikini" wrote:

Takayuki wrote:

[...]

Princess (Siamese RB 16) got very dark in her old age. However, in the
last few months of her life, her fur got lighter and lighter. When she
died she was almost ivory color. (How I miss her). MLB

Old February 12th 07, 07:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rhonda

Takayuki wrote:

"kilikini" wrote:

Takayuki wrote:

[...]

Her fur got lighter? That's interesting. What did she die from? Is there
any possibility her system was heating up, like a thyroid problem?

We did have a pointed rabbit, white with black points, who one summer
went completely white. It was during a drought/heat wave in the midwest.
It was terrible, we lived in the upper floor of a house and for a couple
of months the temp hit 100 degrees every day. It didn't quit. When Buns
molted during that time, he became a white rabbit. I felt so bad, he
must have been incredibly hot! He did get some relief by laying against
the base of the toilet, and we kept wetting down his ears. In the fall
with the next molt, he got his points back.

Rhonda

Old February 12th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Rhonda wrote:
kilikini wrote:
wrote:

Do you still have a "before" photo of Pua? I don't remember what she
looked like when you first took her in, and I'd be interested in
seeing the transformation.

Joyce

I have more pictures, but this one is probably one of the most
dramatic. She looks about dead.

http://i18.tinypic.com/2ztiqmt.jpg

kili

That is hard to look at, kili. I remember when she showed up at your
house and you loved her immediately.

The "after" picture is gorgeous. She was in that body all of the time,
just waiting to come out.

You should send that story in to that Borders animal rescue book thing
that Karen posted about. You and Pua would win top honors, hands down.

Rhonda

Thanks, Rhonda. As I've said, I hate to pick favorites of the clowder, but,
heck, she's smart, she's beautiful, she's loving and she's sweet. She wins!
My advice to anyone is, find a stray and save their life! The rewards are
worth it. :~)

kili
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Old February 12th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
meeee

"kilikini" wrote in message
Rhonda wrote:
kilikini wrote:
wrote:

[...]

She is at that! Poor little girl, that first picture brings a tear to my
eyes.

Old February 15th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

Takayuki wrote:

"kilikini" wrote:

Takayuki wrote:

[...]

Yes, she was hyper thyroid and couldn't tolerate the medication. The Vet
said she had no chance of surviving surgery. At that time I was
recovering from knee and hip surgery and could not walk well - could not
get to the floor and could not drive -- I had no help with her at all,
so nature had to take its course. It stil tears me up to think of it.
MLB