Boyfie's cupboard

Old May 29th 13, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Boyfie's cupboard

When I had a new kitchen installed in 03, I had a slim one installed to
store wild bird food and his boxes of dry food for his nightly sprinkle.
I opened it at 10 pm "on the dot"! and there was a spider so I swept it out
on to the kitchen floor with the edge of his dry food box.
He ate his sprinkles and has spent 20 minutes just now (an
hour later) peering under my calor gas heater in the room next door which I
am in. Spidey obviously made a run for it.

As it was not a very big spider, I allowed it to get away but if am honest I
would have tipped up the heater in order to let Boyfie get it if it was was
one of the biggies that so horrify me.
It's a bit shameful, but I really can't help it. If the big ones get in the
bath, I have trained myself to get them in a huge fluffy towel and put them
outside because I truly don't want to harm them, but if they are marching
around they freak me out and I let Boyfie get them.
It's quick - he puts his paw on them and then eats them.

They are fascinating though, last year in the spider mating season (autumn)
two spiders fell into my bath, male and female, so I left them to see what
would happen. I saw them mating - amazing sight - and the next day the poor
male was deceased, just a poor sucked out shell.

Although I can love this scientifically, I just cannot "do" big spiders
wandering around my house.
They are the only thing that gives me the horrors.

Last year

Old June 2nd 13, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:
[...]

We have a did (our nick name for spiders) kit. A glass jar and a piece of
card to slip under the jar when we catch a sid in it. DH would just kill
them but he does as I ask and yells for the sid kit. I can't quite bring
myself to pick them up in a tissue or towel. When we capture one at night,
I've often been seen sneaking down the drive in my nighty, holding the jar
with the card over it. I then turn around a couple of times and shake the
jar upside down so that the sid falls out. Why do I turn around a couple
of times I hear you ask. Well, if I don't they always head back towards my
house. One was so quick I had to run to get back before it did. If I turn
around they seem to lose their bearings and head off across the road to
the bushes. So it's another reason why my neighbours think I'm mad. (Too
poor to be eccentric) There again, they're all a bit odd themselves.

Judith

I got brave with the towels and flap it out of the window with spider in.
That's the best I can do.
I would like to think that I can accept spiders and not let them horrify me,
but I can't. I do at least not kill them but getting a big one in a towel
is a challenge for me.
I am Ok with absolutely anything else.
Imagine a big spider girl setting up home behind anything you have not moved
for a week. I got all my curtains down for washing last week, put back up
and there is already a house spider spinning a web underneath it.
I've heard that they don't like chestnut oil so I'll try to find out how to
get some to smear on my windowsill and behind my hi-fi speakers.

Old June 4th 13, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"The Other Guy" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 18:39:33 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I got brave with the towels and flap it out of the window with spider in.
That's the best I can do.

GLyN doesn't give a hoot about spiders.

I had a cat, many years ago, that hated ants, and would attack any she
saw.

I had a spider in my sink recently when I was planning to do dishes,
so got a bowl, scooped it into the bowl, and took it outside.

I have an agreement with spiders. Get on my desk when I'm at it,
or get on my bed, and you're DEAD. Otherwise, no problem.
And it works, most of the time.

Spiders are GOOD luck in Celtic mythology!

I used to be extremely phobic about spiders but I have trained myself to put
them outside in a towel. I can't do that glass thing - where you put a
glass over the big spider on the wall and slip a piece of cardboard
underneath. The idea is that you can put it outside then but I tried it
only once. The big spider ran up the glass into my hand and I dropped it,
the whole thing.
I am really trying but there is something about them that gives me the
horrors. I cannot tolerate one much above two inches.
I do not kill them and I try to put them out in in a soft towel, but if they
are determined to rehome themselves I let Boyfriend sort them out.

Did I tell you all about last autumn, when there was a male and female house
spider in my bath?
I decided to leave them there. I observed them mating (first for me) and in
the morning the male was just a sucked out shell.
so it's not just the famous black widows..
Tweed

Old June 8th 13, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

Did I tell you all about last autumn, when there was a male and female house
spider in my bath?
I decided to leave them there. I observed them mating (first for me) and in
the morning the male was just a sucked out shell.
so it's not just the famous black widows..

I hope you were able to get the female outside after that. You don't
want to have the result of that mating *in* the house!

--
Joyce

If your kid comes out of the bedroom and says he just shut down the
government, it seems to me he should at least have an outfit for that."
-- John Waters, on the sorry style of today's rebels

Old June 9th 13, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

Did I tell you all about last autumn, when there was a male and female house
spider in my bath?
I decided to leave them there. I observed them mating (first for me) and in
the morning the male was just a sucked out shell.
so it's not just the famous black widows..

I hope you were able to get the female outside after that. You don't
want to have the result of that mating *in* the house!

My "scientific curiosity" never sleeps - do spider eggs hatch out into
fully developed spiders, or some sort of grub?
Old June 9th 13, 09:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:
Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
Did I tell you all about last autumn, when there was a male and
female house spider in my bath?
I decided to leave them there. I observed them mating (first for me)

and in the morning the male was just a sucked out shell.
so it's not just the famous black widows..
I hope you were able to get the female outside after that. You don't

want to have the result of that mating *in* the house!

My "scientific curiosity" never sleeps - do spider eggs hatch out into
fully developed spiders, or some sort of grub?

They hatch into fully developed spiders, albeit very small.
--
Hate the belief, love the believer.
Old June 9th 13, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"The Other Guy" wrote in message

On Sun, 09 Jun 2013 13:25:54 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

Did I tell you all about last autumn, when there was a male and female

house
spider in my bath?
I decided to leave them there. I observed them mating (first for me)

and in
the morning the male was just a sucked out shell.
so it's not just the famous black widows..

I hope you were able to get the female outside after that. You don't
want to have the result of that mating *in* the house!

My "scientific curiosity" never sleeps - do spider eggs hatch out into
fully developed spiders, or some sort of grub?

A multitude of tiny spiders.

~~~~~~
A "multitude" is right. Some years ago, I used a broom to sweep a spider
out of my garage. Suddenly, *hundreds* of tiny spiders came swarming out.
I was amazed!

MaryL

To reply by email, lose the Ks...

Old June 10th 13, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

Did I tell you all about last autumn, when there was a male and
female house spider in my bath?
I decided to leave them there. I observed them mating (first for
me) and in the morning the male was just a sucked out shell.
so it's not just the famous black widows..

I hope you were able to get the female outside after that. You don't
want to have the result of that mating *in* the house!

My "scientific curiosity" never sleeps - do spider eggs hatch out into
fully developed spiders, or some sort of grub?

Wh
en we first oved into this newly built condo we had a spider problem. One
morning when I walked into the back bedroom, the ceiling was covered with
hundreds of tiny spiders. I grabbed the vacuum cleaner and tried to get
them all -- impossible. Each evening after work, I continued the
vacuming, but finally had to call an exterminator. This area had been an
open field. I did have the exterminator several times. That was about
50 years ago. I hate spiders. MLB
Old June 10th 13, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

My worst spider experience was many years ago, when my daughter was a baby.
I had left her in her playpen, and went into another room for a few minutes.
When I came back, about half the top of the playpen was covered with web,
and there were what seemed to be hundreds of tiny spiders swarming the web.
I wanted to get rid of the spiders, but I didn't want to knock any of them
onto my baby. Fortunately, about half the playpen was uncovered. I
snatched her out and took her to her crib. Then I came back and got rid of
the spiders. The weird thing is that she is terrified of spiders. I'm not
crazy about them, especially when they're large or there's a lot of them,
but I can deal with them if I have to, and even leave them alone if they
aren't bothering me.

Joy

Old June 10th 13, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I remember reading one man's post about spiders: He said that the spider
in his house had a death wish and being a good Christian he was going to
help it along. I feel the same way about them. I also had an
expereience when my son was a baby. He had a swollen leg and I rushed
him to the doctor. The DR took out a magnifying glass and showed me that
a spider had walked up his leg. The treatment he prescribed was hot
FelsNaptha soapcompresses (Yes, it was nearly 70 years ago). It
worked. MLB