Help please ! - temporarily adopted cat

Old August 6th 05, 10:19 PM
John

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 14:27:02 +0100, A strange species called Daytona
wrote:

Karen wrote:

in article , John at
wrote on 8/3/05 5:24 PM:

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 09:24:19 -0400, A strange species called "Snittens"
wrote:

snip

The indoor/outdoor question: My own personal feelings are that cats should
be indoors if the outdoor environment is not safe (predators, traffic,
neighbors who don't like cats in their yard, etc). In much of the US, this
is the case.

Hogwash! I live in Great Britain. Britain is a small island with 62
Million population. I live in an urban area on a busy main road. Our
cat is let out all the time, day and night. Whenever he wants to go
out he can.

What is a neighbour who doesn't like cats in his yard going to do?

Unfortuneately, here in the U.S. the cat can often be impounded or even
worse, some nasty people will poison or otherwise harm them Yeah, we're
so nice

I'd say it's the same in the UK - some people just hate cats.

John

I can't see any animal welfare officers impounding a cat that is
looked after well just for being allowed outside, as normal cats
should be.

Some people don't like cats sure, but I would say the number of people
that would cause deliberate harm to them, and poison them would be
extremely low. You hear a few cases of cruelty to animals each year,
but we live in civilised societies and most people even if they don't
like cats wouldn't go to the extreme of harming them. To think this
is a little paranoid in my opinion and an over-reaction.

It's comparable to the terror bombings by Al Qaeda in London. People
are safe to catch the tube, trains and buses. The chance of that
happening to them is extremely minuscule. You have to have more faith
in life. You can't let anyone prevent you from living a normal life.
If we were to worry about every single possibility and things that are
extremely unlikely to happen, we would never leave the house for fear
of being run over ourselves.

John

Old August 7th 05, 12:02 AM
Karen

in article , John at
wrote on 8/6/05 4:19 PM:

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 14:27:02 +0100, A strange species called Daytona
wrote:

Karen wrote:

in article
, John at

wrote:

[...]

It isn't that unlikely. Talk to your local Animal Control. YOU might not
read about it in the papers, but it happens way more frequently than you
would like to think. Animals don't have the same level of rights or
protection as we do. Especially cats.

Old August 8th 05, 04:11 AM
Snittens

"Karen" wrote

It isn't that unlikely. Talk to your local Animal Control. YOU might not
read about it in the papers, but it happens way more frequently than you
would like to think. Animals don't have the same level of rights or
protection as we do. Especially cats.

Yep, it does. The shelter I'm at gets cats from Animal Control. It doesn't
matter if the cat looks well cared for, if it has no ID and is on someone's
property, AC picks it up. Last year we had a cat at the shelter and the
owner came to see if he was there. He was, and the owner asked where he was
picked up. The address was two houses down.
You have no idea how many times I talk to someone who is looking for their
missing cat. Gee, why is he missing? Because he's allowed outside! Or
people who are looking for a new cat and I ask what happened to the previous
cat, "oh he was attacked by a dog, a coyote, ran over, disappeared, etc"
I don't get on UK people about letting their cats out because I've never
been there so I don't know what the situation is like for cats going
outside. I would however suspect a busy urban area is the same as one here.
I know what things are like where I am for cats outside, so I strongly
recommend against it.

-Kelly

Old August 8th 05, 04:13 AM
Snittens

"Daytona" wrote

OK thanks - any tips for stopping a cat intent on getting out as soon
as you open the door to go out/come back in !? That's a deadly serious
game he's playing at the moment ! I could shut him in the bedroom (and
move his litter tray in) where he spends a fair amount of time
sleeping anyway.

One of my cats tends to dart, so I open the door slowly when entering and
look for him. I block him with my foot or whatever I am carrying.
When I'm leaving, I just kind of scoot him away.

-Kelly

Old August 8th 05, 05:54 AM
M.C. Mullen

"Snittens" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
:
: "Karen" wrote
:
:
[...]

A friend's cat got shot in Northern England ... and survived after some
severe surgery.

Carola

Old August 8th 05, 02:30 PM
Daytona

"Snittens" wrote:

"Daytona" wrote

OK thanks - any tips for stopping a cat intent on getting out as soon
as you open the door to go out/come back in !? That's a deadly serious
game he's playing at the moment ! I could shut him in the bedroom (and
move his litter tray in) where he spends a fair amount of time
sleeping anyway.

One of my cats tends to dart, so I open the door slowly when entering and
look for him. I block him with my foot or whatever I am carrying.
When I'm leaving, I just kind of scoot him away.

Thanks - that's what I'm doing, so I just hope that it doesn't
escalate !

John
Old August 9th 05, 01:21 AM
Annie Wxill

"Daytona" wrote in message
One of my cats tends to dart, so I open the door slowly when entering and
look for him. I block him with my foot or whatever I am carrying.
When I'm leaving, I just kind of scoot him away.

.... John

What does your cat do when someone rings the doorbell or knocks on the door?
Our cats head for under the bed.
I they tended to dart out the door, I would ring the bell and wait a few
seconds before entering.
I suppose I'd knock before exiting because it's not possible to ring the
bell from inside.
Annie

Old August 9th 05, 03:40 AM
Snittens

"Annie Wxill" wrote

What does your cat do when someone rings the doorbell or knocks on the
door?
Our cats head for under the bed.
I they tended to dart out the door, I would ring the bell and wait a few
seconds before entering.
I suppose I'd knock before exiting because it's not possible to ring the
bell from inside.
Annie

In my case, the door-darter is not phased by the doorbell. He's not phased
by much, anyway. When he does get out, he's not that difficult to get back
inside. He either comes right back, or he goes and sits under a bush.

-Kelly

Old August 10th 05, 01:58 AM
Annie Wxill

"Snittens" wrote in message
.... When he does get out, ...he either comes right back, or he goes and sits
under a bush.
-Kelly

Well, at least he's not hard to catch. However, I imagine it's difficult,
if not impossible for you to get down far enough to pick him up. Aren't you
the one who is packing twins?
Annie

Old August 10th 05, 02:24 AM
Cheryl

On Tue 09 Aug 2005 08:58:06p, Annie Wxill wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

"Snittens" wrote in message
... When he does get out, ...he either comes right back, or he
goes and sits under a bush.
-Kelly

Well, at least he's not hard to catch. However, I imagine it's
difficult, if not impossible for you to get down far enough to
pick him up. Aren't you the one who is packing twins?
Annie

LOL! Packing twins!

I think this coming up Friday is D day! Kelly is doing so well
with her pregnancy. My sister had twins at age 35 and she was
confined to bed for the last 2 months of her pregnancy. And, the
twins came early as twins usually do (or so I've been told).

Wishing Kelly the best! Wow, so close!

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields