Update on Caring for 11 year old cat - he's too fat!

Old March 21st 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Update on Caring for 11 year old cat - he's too fat!

"Julie" wrote in message
Well, thanks to everyone for the advice. We just got back from the
vet. Bubble needs to have his teeth cleaned and also needs to diet. He
weighs 16+ pounds and should only weigh 12-13. The vet said I should
cut his food back so he slims down slowly. Senior panel results will
be back tomorrow

He last owners fed his deli cat which strikes me as being, well, crap.
So, I'll try him on some better quality food while he works on
trimming his figure. I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who has
helped their kitty get down in size.

I have posted this before, but it really worked so here goes.

My petite female shorthair tuxedo cat weighed 18 lbs and should have weighed
8 according to the vet. At 10 year old she had thyroid trouble and a heart
problem. The weird thing is, her thyroid was overactive, so she should have
been skinny, BUT the vet says they do see this every now and then.

He told me to reduce her food by 1/4, and when she stopped losing
weight to do it again. However, because what I read convinced me that
canned food was better for her, I switched her from being free fed dry
to getting premium canned food in equal portions 12 hours apart. She began
to lose immediatedlly. When she stopped, I reduced the portion by 1/4.
She continued to lose until she was 8-9 lbs. She now has her kitty figure
back and is happy and shiny. I feed Fancy Feast, the varieties that have
real meat as a first ingredient (as opposed to byproducts), and this is not
the best but pretty good quality. Good luck to Bubble! And good luck
to you if he is as aggressive about being fed as my Boo is!

Old March 21st 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

cybercat wrote:
"Julie" wrote in message
Well, thanks to everyone for the advice. We just got back from the
vet. Bubble needs to have his teeth cleaned and also needs to diet. He
weighs 16+ pounds and should only weigh 12-13. The vet said I should
cut his food back so he slims down slowly. Senior panel results will
be back tomorrow

Hi, I brought my Tucker down 6 lbs (slowly, of course) over a period of
nine months. Check out his web page for more information:
http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/

Feel free to email me directly for details.

Rene

Old March 21st 06, 04:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Rene S." wrote in message
ups.com...

cybercat wrote:
"Julie" wrote in message
Well, thanks to everyone for the advice. We just got back from the
vet. Bubble needs to have his teeth cleaned and also needs to diet. He
weighs 16+ pounds and should only weigh 12-13. The vet said I should
cut his food back so he slims down slowly. Senior panel results will
be back tomorrow

Hi, I brought my Tucker down 6 lbs (slowly, of course) over a period of
nine months. Check out his web page for more information:
http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/

Feel free to email me directly for details.

Why not post them here and help everyone with your magic formula?

Old March 21st 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

cybercat wrote:

Why not post them here and help everyone with your magic formula?

you talkin bout weight loss?

make food avail the same way you do for yourself

then the cats personality will meter the intake

some cats are fat cats and are better off fat

just like women, some women look wonderful fat
I like voluptuous women... in the Georgian days it was very vogue to be
fat

im no different

milk and honey baby, fat is in!

we eat the food and drank the wine everybody havin a real good time
cept you,
you were talkin bout the end of the world

Old March 21st 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Rene S." wrote in message
ups.com...

cybercat wrote:
"Julie" wrote in message
Well, thanks to everyone for the advice. We just got back from the
vet. Bubble needs to have his teeth cleaned and also needs to diet. He
weighs 16+ pounds and should only weigh 12-13. The vet said I should
cut his food back so he slims down slowly. Senior panel results will
be back tomorrow

Hi, I brought my Tucker down 6 lbs (slowly, of course) over a period of
nine months. Check out his web page for more information:
http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/

Feel free to email me directly for details.

Rene

Good job! I have looked at your web page on other occasions, and I looked
at it again yesterday. You really "did it right." The gradual
weight-reduction was right on-target.

MaryL

Old March 21st 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Actually, there isn't a magic formula--just counting calories and using
common sense, like you would for yourself. It's easier to read the
pages and look at the photos, as there is too much information to post
here. If anyone has specific questions, like I said, you may email me.

Old March 21st 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

8 according to the vet. At 10 year old she had thyroid trouble and a heart
problem. The weird thing is, her thyroid was overactive, so she should have
been skinny, BUT the vet says they do see this every now and then.

I'm really interested in hearing more about this. Were there any symptoms of
her thyroid being overactive? The reason I'm asking is because one of my
cats is about 14 lbs (14 yrs old) and I haven't bothered to have her thyroid
checked, just blood, because I always thought she would be skinny if she had
an overactive thyroid. Now I'm thinking maybe I should get it done when she
goes this year.

Anna

Old March 22nd 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Miami Jones" wrote in message
ups.com...

cybercat wrote:

Why not post them here and help everyone with your magic formula?

you talkin bout weight loss?

Actually, I was wondering why Rene asked the OP to email her instead
of sharing her formula for kitty weight loss with the group. I find that
strange. Why not post it? Why insist on personal contact? This is the
kind of thing Megan did all the time that I did not understand.

If I have some helpful information I am happy to share it here.

Old March 22nd 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Rene S." wrote in message
ups.com...
Actually, there isn't a magic formula--just counting calories and using
common sense, like you would for yourself. It's easier to read the
pages and look at the photos, as there is too much information to post
here. If anyone has specific questions, like I said, you may email me.

Ah, so there is a web site. Perhaps you will post the link. I am very
interested, as I bet lots of people with overweight cats must be.